Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

wimberley , Texas
Long Story, I'm New, Questions (please).

Hi. I live in the Texas Hill country. 57, widower, retired. I've been sitting around feeling sorry for myself for the past year. However, the dog and I went to Big Bend in January . We had to stay in cheap motels, but I saw allot of folks having a ton of fun-- they were Airstreamers like you!!!

I decided that week I had to have one, and have been looking ever since. They sell quickly, especially the smaller ones. Question #1: besides Craig's, ebay, what are some other more productive ways of shopping? Do people place newspaper ads? FSBO signs? Network, word of mouth?

Q. #2. My hunt has led me to believe there are 5 tiers of AS for sale:
a. brand new.
b. less than 10 years old.
c. 2 decades old and needing repairs soon.
d. need serious repairs now.
e. Vintages- in great shape.

a. possible, but highly unlikely.
d (don't like repair work) is out.
c. is a possibility, but again, see d.
e. great option, seems like a., expensive and unlikely.
b. possible.

I will not go out and buy a new one--- if I could get a used one before summer. They are so hard to find; I have a '07 Nissan V-6 Nissan Frontier and want to keep it, so it can't be very large and heavy. I will go anywhere to pick it up, especially if I can find an AS inspector on this site. Thanks for your attention; and if y'all have any ideas or suggestions, let me know. Seeing all you Airstreamers really pulled me out of my grief!!!
hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Hanlon,
Welcome aboard and good luck with your search. Have you tried the classified adds here in the forums? As for the search; you will have to look in all possible nooks and crannies to locate an Airstream that is right for you. If you are looking for something reasonable and camping ready I would lean towards the '80s - '90s. But you never know when the planets will come into alignment and you will find a gem.

If you find one in southeast Pennsylvania, I would be happy to inspect it for you.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
hanlon,

Welcome to the forums! Good for you for getting out and about, nothing better for the soul than being in the midst of nature and amongst good people!!! Best to you on finding your AirDream!

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Hanlon, First welcome to the forum, and welcome to Airstreaming. You've probably hit on most of the common ways of finding used Airstreams, but don't overlook the classified of this site. There are others also, and here is a list of the ones I know about:
RV Online Used RVs for sale, including Used Motorhomes, Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers, Used Campers, and Used RV
RV Online Used RVs for sale, including Used Motorhomes, Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers, Used Campers, and Used RV
Airstream Vintage Travel Trailer Link Library!
Trader Online Magazine New and Used Classifieds For Sale - TraderOnline.com

Also, you are about right on with your analysis of buying used trailers...it's about like buying anything else used. It's all about condition.

Good luck with your search, and if I can help you in any way, give me a shout via PM on this site....we are not very far from one another.

Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Welcome from Austin!

Hi Hanlon, my condolences for your loss, and welcome to the Forums!

So it sounds like you want something that is recent and therefore in good shape and ready to roll, and you'd like to spend the least amount of money possible to get it (hence the reason you don't want to buy new and take the depreciation hit). Does that sound about right?

All of that makes sense, and if your price range is realistic, you should probably be able to find something. By that I mean, it is unlikely you are going to find a 5-year-old trailer that originally sold for $45,000, for under $25,000 now. Does that make sense? They hold their value fairly well.

Other than ebay and Craigslist, you could check with the RV dealer called Camper Clinic in Buda. They sell new Airstreams, but they also take trades and consignment, and sometimes have used Airstreams in the condition you are talking about.

But Craigslist often has some interesting trailers too. Be sure to check all of the surrounding areas in Central Texas and all of the Texas major city Craigslist listings as well.

Here's a 2004 in Boerne, it's 25' not sure if that's too big, for $27K: 2004 Airstream Classic 25fb

And here's one on the SA Craigslist, a 2006 25' for $30K: Airstream 2006 25fb Safari

Anyway, welcome, and good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Welcome to the Airstream world

You have started at the right place in your search......welcome to the forums......you have some fun homework to decide the size and floorplan that will make you happy.....there are lots of opinions posted here to help you with that......once you know what you want, you will be amazed at how it will find you...oh, and find some local rallys that you can drop in on to meet the friendly people and see their rigs.....unfortunately or fortunately once you have aluminitis there is no cure but ownership...and this should be an excellent time to buy.....wishing you good luck on your journey.............pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Your in luck

Wimberly, TX? Pat, check in will you?
What a great neighbor you have...and he will help you out too.
Take a look right here a the Forum Classifieds. Most, not all, are as good a deal as you can find.
Welcome aboard.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Wimberly, TX? Pat, check in will you?
What a great neighbor you have...and he will help you out too.
Take a look right here a the Forum Classifieds. Most, not all, are as good a deal as you can find.
Welcome aboard.
Jim "Whitsend" is that way as well. Wimberly is will represented in the Airstream community that's for sure!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Agree

with all of the above suggestions, and have one more: be persistent AND be prepared to move fast.

When I started looking, I went to all of those places, AND every day reviewd "for sale" ads in several newspapers - e.g. in Phoenix, Tucson, Dallas, etc. Every day, because you never know what's gonna' come up, and good ones at reasonable prices aren't on the market for long. I also "networked" - told everyone I knew that I was looking, and went to some rallies. I also cruised dealers' used inventory in the Internet.

It took a year of hunting. Then one day, on the ads on this site, one popped up that was close to what I was looking for and geogrpahically not too far away ... I went to see it two or three days later and after a careful look-over, bought it on the spot. By then, the ad had been viewed several hundred times and the sellers had several interested parties (or so they said ...) but I got there first with cash and haggled a bit and we did a deal. Oh, and it was less than half the price of a similar new model and was in near-perfect condition. Good luck!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Wimberley Member

Why don't you try to meet up with whitsend (http://www.airforums.com/forums/members/whitsend-183.html)

He is from Wimberley and could give you good advice. Bought my '67 Trade Wind in San Marcos when I lived in Rolling Oaks. That was back in the late '80s.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Corpus Christi , Texas
This is a good resource to see the different models & layouts.
Vintage Airstream Photo Archives
BTW you need to look at what Melody Ranch has to offer in the classifieds. You could not do better than that Airstream!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Seems to me that something like this would be nearly perfect for you and your tow vehicle. Finding older modern Bambis (that aren't Craigslist scams) is fairly rare.

Keep on looking - trailers pop up for sale all the time. You'd be surprised what you might find. I looked at a lovely restored 65 Globetrotter for $12,500 last summer (another trailer that would be a good match for the Frontier); just wasn't exactly the right fit for me.

Edit part 2: Not sure of your budget, but don't rule out a nearly new trailer. There are slightly used 2008 Safari Sport 17's advertised for right at $20,000. 2008 22' Safari Sports aren't much more expensive.

Good luck!
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

wimberley , Texas
Am I on the right train?

Thanks to all the nice replies to my member introduction. As of today, this is the train I'm on: I am on a nationwide search for a 1984 or newer short trailer in need of fixup. Not real handy, but have the time, think it might be excellent theapy, see lots of expertise here, assume older parts can be had, and have handy friends (who will have to charge me though).

I'm going to hit the road in a week and go to a 10 day antique fair in Roundtop, Texas; hear it is a sq. mile parking lot of RVs and TTs. I'll just walk up to you guys and ask if you'll sell me your 25 year old (or less) small AS. My V-6 Nissan Frontier w/ tow pkg. can pull 6500. The older ASs are lighter, I think. Maybe I'll find one for 5K or thereabouts.

Since I was in sales for 35 years I'm not afraid to stop on a road when I see an AS parked on a farm and ranch- and ask if they'll consider selling it. Chances are, though, in this economy, someone's living in it. Am I on the right train?
hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Well it's certainly not going to hurt.

A wise Airstreamer (or 12) once told me, "They are all for sale. Just depends on the price."

I love my Airstream, but I'd have to agree. For me though, the price would be pretty high compared to the condition, since I have more money in it at this point than its condition would seem to indicate...

Good luck!

Oh, and if you want to contact Jim in Wimberly, look up Forum member "Whitsend" and send him a PM. He is one heck of a nice guy.

-Marcus
Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
said "You have some fun homework to decide the size and floorplan that will make you happy.....there are lots of opinions posted here to help you with that...oh, and find some local rallys that you can drop in on to meet the friendly people and see their rigs.....unfortunately or fortunately once you have aluminitis there is no cure but ownership...and this should be an excellent time to buy.....wishing you good luck on your journey....pj
Hanlon - Great advise here. Our WBCCI Region 9 rally in Waco is coming up towards the end of this month. Check the rally section here for specfics. This would be a GREAT opportunity for you to meet lots of great Airstream folks and check out tons of sizes & floorplans.

I have responded to your PM. Please do give me a call at the number I gave you.
Jim
Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello Hanlon and welcome to the forums!

Very sage advice in the above threads, listen wisely! You will never regret doing your homework, and looking is at least 1/2 of the fun! When you want a "short trailer" let us know what you think "short" is.... mine is about as short as they get... took me years to find her, and then a total frame off restoration was in order (thanks to my hubby!) Globe Trotters are nice and small enough to go anywhere we can... and a bit more available.

I would suggest taking a look at the rally schedule above and see if there are any where you might be traveling. Rallies are great places to see all sorts of Airstreams, in all sorts of usable conditions with lots of personalization! Besides, you will likely be able to meet with other Airstreamers, get invited to a potluck and enjoy the campfire! In addition to a great time you will learn about 'streams and get to ask all the questions you want!

In this economy you should be able to find a nice usable Airstream at a fair price. It will only require time and effort on your part. Be sure and take up the offers for folks here on the forum to inspect them for you, many will do it for free and others may ask for gas money if they have to travel a ways.

The older Airstreams are wonderful, but if you go back to the 70's or later you will find more "problems" with stuff like power supplies not being adequate, etc. broken water/holding tanks... so really make a thorough and complete list of stuff to look at. I know somewhere on this forum is a nice list of inspection points... I just can't remember where... you might do a search, but the search function on this software is a bit lacking. Maybe someone will read and remember and post the link!

Good luck! You won't regret getting into Airstreaming! For us it has been great, we have met wonderful people, and at rallies there are couples, singles, kids, oldsters, everyone is welcomed! Doesn't get much better!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blogs: Yreka History
Siskiyou County Camping
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
so really make a thorough and complete list of stuff to look at. I know somewhere on this forum is a nice list of inspection points... I just can't remember where... you might do a search, but the search function on this software is a bit lacking. Maybe someone will read and remember and post the link!
Here's the link to the checklist...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

River Falls , Wisconsin
Moving fast is important. Distance from the trailer for sale can be a problem. Just last week we called on a trailer in PA and the seller said your the first ones to call. We set it up for an inspection the following day. A good guy was all set up to inspect it for us. We just could not "say here is the money", without it being looked at. I called the seller at lunch just before Carl was headed out to look at it and the seller had just sold. I said "what???" The seller said it was easier selling to someone local than someone over 400 miles away. He could have at least called. Sooooo... If you call on a trailer and the seller says I already got someone coming do you race over if it is close enough and buy it out from under them? Or do you do the 'gentlemanly' thing and wait your 'turn'?
rjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Having just finished our search and purchase about 4 weeks ago, this topic is new and fresh in our minds. We always wanted an airstream, but ruled it out due to perceived price. We searched for a SOB for weeks to no avail within our $3000 limit. Then, a co-worker highlighted a local auction that an Airstream that had sat for 25 years was to be sold. This started the wheels turning...we searched and researched. We posted, we read, we replied. In the end, we found that we were willing to stretch the budget for an Airstream and in the end dropped $6500 on a 1974 27' Overlander. Since then, we've put about $200 in parts and hours worth of labor into sprucing things up. I still think we got a heck of a deal, though. Anyway, search search and search again. My wife and I sat next to the PC for 1-2 hours a night looking for a trailer / Airstream and in the end it was a fluke search on Google for "Airstream for sale Ohio" that returned our camper on Kijiji. We thought: no way is it still available, but we emailed, then called, then visited, then bought. Bottom line: some advice that was given to us in the forums here...don't get hung up on the first one you find. There are indeed others. Take your time and make an informed decision. Look at many Airstreams. Find the one that fits you. We were stuck on a 31' Sovereign, we ended up with a 27' Sovereign because it was the best combo. for what we wanted and it was in great shape. Good luck, and welcome to the group/club.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
SilverWanderlust

1980 20' Caravelle
San Diego , California
Looking for a little one for that Frontier.........?

I am in the process of trying to prove the value of my Caravelle and while looking for documentation online, I came across several small trailers on this website: Airstream Trailers Classified Ads

Best of luck to you in your search. Once bitten, it's all a labor of love...

Have fun,

Lyn
1980 Caravelle 20'
2006 Toyota Tundra
Lyn Gradwell is offline   Reply With Quote