Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Scooter, you can take the Texan out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of Texas. Still a lot of good camping in the hill country.

Love the FB 25 units. Bought a 06 used in new condition and saved 20K. We decided on which trailer we liked the best and then started looking back in years to find one in new condition with most of the exact features of a new one. If there any problems then they were all worked out by the PO. Good advice on the FB with twins. If you want a queen then the 27' Flying Cloud has more walk around room with the extra 2' the bed is centered in the front. On the 25' it's turned sideways, a little more challenging to walk around. The Panoramic windows are great. 25' is a great size and easy to tow. Before this we had a 25' 72 Tradewind another great Trailer in the Vintage category. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
OK, SOB is "Some Other Brand" or "Square Old Box" depending who you are talking to.

TT = Travel trailer, TV = Tow vehicle while I'm at it.

One thing twin axles do give you a softer landing if you have a blowout. I have also heard that they are easier to back up
Hi Aage,
Thanks for the welcome and acronym tips--still learning how to navigate the site. So dual axle is probably better for me. I have zero experience driving or backing a trailer so should start EZ.

I've started looking and am pretty stoked about it! Thanks again for the support!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Scooter, you can take the Texan out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of Texas. Still a lot of good camping in the hill country.
Hi RichHog, I love New York but am a Texan for life! Canít wait to bring my AS to the hill country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Good advice on the FB with twins. If you want a queen then the 27' Flying Cloud has more walk around room with the extra 2' the bed is centered in the front. On the 25' it's turned sideways, a little more challenging to walk around.
Good pointóIíll have a more open mind to that floor plan now and will check it out. More options = better chance of finding my dream stream!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hello Scooter241:
I'm with a couple other members on the benefit of the twins. I've a 25' Safari (bought a month ago, my first trailer) and it's perfect for me as I'm finding I can spend weeks at a time living in it....(OK, it's in a barn so I've a little more elbow room).
The plan is to get a light weight storage box (maybe a Colman/Igloo cooler) to fit between the twins and a "spacer mattress insert". Then simply remove the drawer (couple screws) and we'll see if the "convertible" bed works out. The box can stay outside as an additional seat.
This would provide a HUGE bed when needed or revert to twins in a matter of minutes...and still have access to the drawers easily and not devalue the unit.
As a 5 year old AS I was able to save about 50% price on a new similar model and up to 65% if you're talking Eddy B./custom unit. Insurance was cheap.
Mine does not have the big wrap around windows and has no leaks. However fixing a window leak is easy compared to what I suspect I'm about to have to do as there is a leak somewhere under my fridge / toilet (I've just bought one of those extension peek-aboo mirrors and am headed back to Tinbad the Trailer to investigate further.
With a trailer as with a boat, it'll always be something to fix and clean but thats the fun of it.
Good luck
Del
Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Hello Scooter,

Welcome, you will like it here. I have the same set up as Mr. Hog, a 25 FB that I purchased used. We looked for a couple of years before we found it so make sure you are patient. Ours was lightly used, spent a lot of time parked and plugged in so we did have some minor issues to work with. I saved just about 40% for a 3.5 year old trailer.

We prefer the queen bed over the twins. We also are small people, well short anyway, so the sideways queen in the 25 is not a problem for us. I really like the extra space that the 27 FB provides but I like towing my 25 just the way it is.

I got ours off of Craig's List but I did check the forum "for sale" postings as well. Living out west made it a bit of a challenge to call on units in Florida.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Hi Del,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gurney View Post
The plan is to get a light weight storage box (maybe a Colman/Igloo cooler) to fit between the twins and a "spacer mattress insert". Then simply remove the drawer (couple screws) and we'll see if the "convertible" bed works out.
Cool idea. It will give me more layout options when searching..!
Quote:
As a 5 year old AS I was able to save about 50% price on a new similar model and up to 65% if you're talking Eddy B./custom unit. Insurance was cheap.
Thatís really appealing and puts the units more within my reach. I appreciate the info as it provides encouragement while I try to be patient.
Quote:
However fixing a window leak is easy compared to what I suspect I'm about to have to do as there is a leak somewhere under my fridge / toilet (I've just bought one of those extension peek-aboo mirrors and am headed back to Tinbad the Trailer to investigate further.
Inspection mirrors are the bomb! Hope you find small or no leak.
Quote:
With a trailer as with a boat, it'll always be something to fix and clean but thats the fun of it.
Tinkering is my idea of a good time, too!
Thanks again for the tips and please keep me posted on your progress.
Kathy
Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Hello aftermath,
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
We looked for a couple of years before we found it so make sure you are patient.
Thanks; I’ve got aluminitus bad, but it sounds like patience can pay off!

Quote:
We We prefer the queen bed over the twins. We also are small people, well short anyway, so the sideways queen in the 25 is not a problem for us. I really like the extra space that the 27 FB provides but I like towing my 25 just the way it is.
I'm beginning to realize this isn’t going to be an easy choice.
We’re kinda short, too, but have both thickened through the middle since our early days camping! So wider space is better, up to a point.

Quote:
Living out west made it a bit of a challenge to call on units in Florida.
We call Ithaca “centrally isolated” so traveling to see units will be challenging. Part of the process I guess! And maybe part of the fun.
Thanks again for the warm welcome and details. Every bit helps.
Kathy
Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You might be advised to keep in mind that Utica is only 5.5 hours to Can-Am RV in London, Ontario. They usually had a good selection of used models, too.

Too bad for you the US dollar has fallen against the Canadian one.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
There are always tradeoffs, ya' know?

Dual axles mean more tire and brake expense, repair, maintenance of wheel bearings, etc. ... but also make for easier tire changes (don't have to use a jack), reputedly back easier and track better with less sway, and give a definite advantage in case of a blowout. Single axle leaves you with more interior room, due to smaller wheel wells.

Older means (potentially) more maintenance, etc., but a far better price, letting someone else take the depreciation. Having said that, mine's 12 years old, and everything works just fine, with some small tweaks now and then.

Two tips: do go to some rallies, where everyone will be happy to invite you into their units for a better idea of layouts, how folks customize, etc. (And they will love it if you stay for dinner!!!) Trust me on this. And over a beer, you can ask lots of questions about towing, etc. Every Airstream owner I ever met loves to talk "shop."

Second tip: if and when you find the trailer you want, jump on it. Most of the better ones are on the market for very short periods of time. I lost two nice ones by dithering for a couple of days. But I called about the one I bought the very day it went on the market, went to see it the first day the previous owner would show it, and bought it on the spot. By the time I came to pick it up a week or so later, they reported that they'd had several offers to purchase above their asking price.

Have fun and enjoy life out there on the road. I've done a lot of backpacking, car camping, etc. over the years, and an Airstream beats them all for setting up when it's raining or cold. Alas, there are some places they just won't go - that's what backpacks are for.

BTW, I tow with a GMC 2500 diesel ... a lot more tow vehicle than I need (but it also has to tow a tractor around, haul firewood, rocks, etc.) - but it never strains even in mountains, and I feel quite secure with those much larger disc brakes, heavier duty differentials, etc. Seems to me that the received wisdom is that towing up to a 25 or so, you're fine with a half ton pickup, unless a lot of your towing is in mountains. Super hitches such as Hensley or ProPride no doubt help also. Older units also weigh less and tow easier with lighter duty vehicles.

Good luck. You're gonna' have a ball!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
You might be advised to keep in mind that Utica is only 5.5 hours to Can-Am RV in London, Ontario. They usually had a good selection of used models, too.

Too bad for you the US dollar has fallen against the Canadian one.
I visited their site and they let you "try before you buy"! Wow.
But you're right; the exchange rate and fees might make it prohibitive. Might be worth a drive anyway, just to see!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Hi AirsDream,
Quote:
Dual axles mean more tire and brake expense, repair, maintenance of wheel bearings, etc. ... but also make for easier tire changes (don't have to use a jack), reputedly back easier and track better with less sway, and give a definite advantage in case of a blowout. Single axle leaves you with more interior room, due to smaller wheel wells.
Good info about duals--hadn't thought about tire changes and wheel wells.
Re: rallies. Very interested in attending rallies this summer--just not sure how to go about it--show up, call first?? Bring a tent?!?
Second tip about jumping on the dream is well taken. I'm putting things in place so I can do just that for the right TT.
Which brings up the TV--I'm hoping to get by w/ a V8 gas 1/2 ton, but worry that I'll get the fever and end up w/ a 25 or more and regret having too small a TV. Is it the chicken or the egg?
Lastly, I know setting up and Airstream when it's raining or cold will be sooo satisfying. And I'll listen to the rain on the roof and smile!
Thanks again for the welcome,
Kathy
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
We have 2 Vespa 150s we vwould like to take along. However our Chevy 1500 half ton only has a 1400 pound cargo capacity, The bikes and two adults add up to about 800 pounds including gear, Add the tonge weight from the hitch and lawn chairs, maybe a cooler, generater etc, and we are way over the cargo capacity. We can tow up to 8000 pounds with our setup but the cargo weight is a loser., You can also get over your gcwr. Buy a 3 quarter ton or larger if a scooter is involved. jim
Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Welcome Scooter241! We bought our first (and only) AS last Jan at an RV show. It was a 09 purchased in '10. Having never owned one before, we decided to look for one with warranty and that sure has helped! We have had problems, tho those are now fixed. We weren't too sure about our panoramic windows until we camped in the mountains and opened both pano windows and the view was breathtaking! We do have the dual axles and love them...we tow with a Surburban 1500, mostly for room for the dogs!
When we started in early 08 looking into RVing, we would visit campgrounds in the area and talk to all kinds of people about all kinds of RVs. We did find that my husband was very allergic to new RVs that had formaldehyde smell...made him very sick. So the first time we stepped into our unit, it was love at first site. Yes, we have twins in ours, but we are tall and its a great place for our grangirls to play or watch TV. Yes, we have had our problems and thank goodness we have a good warranty, but things get fixed and we get back on the road.
Many people told us that when we saw the right one, we should buy it..and we did.
Good luck to you and hope to see you on the road sometime.
Its amazing when you pull in a gas station or a rest stop and people always want to see the inside...and so many people will argue with you that AS's are no longer made...one guy said they stopped making them in the '60's and ours must be a knockoff!!
Enjoy the search!
Andi
Old 05-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome>>

Big WNY hello, good folks here to help, you came to the right place.

Don't obsess about towing, the proper TV, set-up, and research will get you past the shudders just fine.

We find our 25 Classic fits our needs perfectly, we we boondock,(no services), almost exclusively. I know that anything larger would very difficult in most of the places we frequent.

We bought it new in 2003, (I was not a forum member at the time), knowing what I do now, that purchase would have been on a well researched 2-3yr old used model, just my take on it.

Our first AS, 63 Safari, 22ft single axle, (ck out our Gallery, Registry photo's), was a constant source of road worry on long trips. The added rubber sure improves
peace-of-mind, especially with the co-pilot.

Keep us posted on your progress.

GOOD LUCK!!!

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, 2011, new flying cloud, texas