Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Scout

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Happy Camper, USA
Let's give this a shot!

Hi there! Took delivery of my new Flying Cloud 28RB a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I have taken a couple small weekend trips to a campground nearby to test the waters (so to speak). I am so happy! Steep learning curve, but I'm the consummate student - so really enjoying the challenge so far.

I camped as a kid (tent, jaycee travel trailer, then mini-wini) as an adult - mostly tent camping - but nothing for about 25 years. I have wonderful memories, so looking forward to exploring the country.

I still work full time, so my plans are to camp every other weekend until weather in Chicago-land dictates I must stop. Then I switch to planning mode for a few months and gear up for next summer.

I am considering a fall trip from Chicago to Lisbon, NH to see my son and visit Mt. Washington. I may be getting way ahead of myself - but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Ultimately, I'd like to travel the country full time (since I have no idea where I want to eventually retire). Love the outdoors and new adventures.

Looking forward to feedback and guidance from seasoned explorers!
yellowcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Welcome! And congratulations! That is the perfect attitude to start with, go slow and learn as you go and you shouldn't be disappointed. I did the NH to Chicago trip last fall, it's an easy enough drive, just try to plan your travels around big city congestion times and everything works out. Good luck and enjoy
Old 08-13-2018, 05:06 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

It's a rather steep learning curve but not really all that difficult...let common sense rule.😂

Sweet Streams...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-13-2018, 05:09 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
If you plan to hit Mt Washington, I can strongly recommend staying in North Conway at the Saco River Campground. So many great trailheads in the area. http://www.sacorivercampingarea.com
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
Scout

2019 28' Flying Cloud
I was considering a route via Detroit through Canada and then down to Lisbon, NH. Any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
Scout

2019 28' Flying Cloud
This looks wonderful! Thank you.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi yellowcake: Welcome to the Airstream community. These Forums are an excellent way to learn all about your rig, and all about Airstream adventures.

We took the Canadian route when we traveled to New England. We crossed back into the USA just north of Lake Champlain on Highway 2 if memory serves. We traveled all the way to Acadia. It was a great trip.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409 Chocoura NH 1 (Small).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	320072  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
Scout

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Great, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcake View Post
I was considering a route via Detroit through Canada and then down to Lisbon, NH. Any thoughts?
Ugh - if that means passing through Toronto on Highway 401 (although the traffic isn't likely any worse than other major cities in N. America). On a positive note, the campgrounds will be empty including the very popular Sandbanks near the eastern end of Lake Ontario (we live about 20 minutes away).

If passing through Toronto, I recommend Glen Rouge campground at the eastern side of the city. We have stayed there many times and it's a 10 minute drive to an excellent commuter train downtown. It's at the southern end of the Rouge River and much of this area has recently been declared as the first urban national park in Canada (it's still in the organization stage so the campground is still run by the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority and not Parks Canada yet).

As for crossing at Detroit, most people we know in this area cross at Sarnia/Port Huron not far north of Detroit. It supposed to be an easier crossing as the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit is very busy with truck traffic.

Enjoy the trip. We sold our Toronto house and full timed for three years around the continent. It was among the best three years of our lives.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote