Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
gulf breeze , Florida
Talking Let the good times roll in Charli the camper

Florida newbies here ready to hit the road! We have a 2.5 year old who loves camping and named our airstream Charli after his favorite movie Willy Wonka (original version). This summer we are taking a month to travel to Ca to visit family (San Francisco area) ...The only must see on the agenda is Yosimite. I would love any suggestions / advice for the trip. I am reserving a camping site this week.
Thanks!
charlicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Well you cannot go to S.F. without doing 3 things first... They are 1) Ride the hills on a Cable Car! 2) Visit the Golden Gate Bridge! And 3) go to Fishermans Wharf to eat fresh seafood! That should take up one day anyway unless you actual cross the bridge...LOL! Enjoy the trip and your family adventure. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
BIGED52.

You forgot to mention Ghirardelli. After all; they make chocolate.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Well as Steve Martin would say... Excuseeeee Me!
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Congrats!

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
1989 35' Land Yacht
Oakdale , California
Sounds like a great trip. My wife and I own a small rv campground on the Stanislaus River (Knights Ferry, Ca.) which is directly on your way from San Francisco to Yosemite. Would be great if you could stop and stay as our guests. I sent you a personal message with my contact info.
Tmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlicamper View Post
The only must see on the agenda is Yosimite. I would love any suggestions / advice for the trip. I am reserving a camping site this week.
Thanks!
Yosemite is definitely worth seeing.

Lots of other people think so too, though, so getting a reservation can be tricky. Reservations open up at 7 am, Pacific Time, on the 15th of each month for dates 4-5 months away. The reservation information site says to make sure your clock is accurate and that you start the preliminary part of your reservation before the opening time.

They are not kidding. The reservation website gets swamped, often it crashes. The phone line is continually busy. Most sites are gone within an hour.

All is not lost, however, if you don't get a site. People do cancel, so new spots open up all the time. With a 19' trailer, you don't have to be too picky about which spots will fit your trailer (fewer than a third of them will hold our 25' Tradewind). Just check the reservation website daily until something shows up. I got a spot a month in advance just last fall, although it was October and not peak season.

My favorite hike is up to Vernal Fall. It's an easy walk up to the bridge that gives you a great view of the fall, then there's a steeper trail that takes you up to the top, including a rather narrow bit with a railing at the edge. Stay on the proper side of the fence at all times and you'll have a safe, memorable time.

Lower Pines campsite has a section of the river bank that is available for access, although in early summer the river is often too high for safe swimming. The waterfalls are all in full flow in late spring and early summer and their show can be spectacular. By October when we were there, magnificent Yosemite Falls (plural because there's an upper fall and a lower fall), was just a mossy green streak down the granite cliff.