Old 03-29-2006, 05:11 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Melissa,
Yes they did make center/side bath with rear twins. And yes you can reconfigure the bedroom any way you want...pretty much. One beauty of the Airstream design is that none of the interior components are structrual, you can take them out or leave them in as you see fit. The only real constraints are the locations of the various tanks, they can be relocated but it is a major undertaking. You also should be aware that units built prior to 1974 typically DO NOT have a grey water tank, and the ones built in the mid to late 70's have a miniscule capacity...like one shower's worth

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
We were fortunate enough to get a 1971 Sovereign, which came with the additional fold-a-way bunks over the midship bunks. Add that to the L-shaped sofa, and we can comfortable sleep 7 in ours.

Now to sort of switch the topic. When I looked at Pizzachop's pics, I noticed he was trimming the hoof on a horse. You could see the horse's ribs! What's up with that? Is the horse old, or severely malnourished? We own two paint horses and a quarter horse, so whenever I see a horse like that, it tears me up.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:08 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

San Angelo , Texas
This would be my husbands department, so pardon the silly question... black tank is for "icky" waste, like toilet, grey is for cleaner waste, like sink & shower? Do I have that right?

If there's no grey tank, where does the water go? Can a larger tank be retrofitted? I should probably ask how much *clean* water will a "newer" (77+) model hold? What about a hot water heater? I like my showers, LOL. Everyone else can shower in the nasty camp bathroom.

I'm going to have to investigate the idea of completly re-doing a trailer - the idea of making a separate back bedroom for the kids, w/ 2 bunks, and then having the bath, and then the kitchen/living area, w/ fold out couch is appealing.

Melissa
Old 03-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bechand0128
This would be my husbands department, so pardon the silly question... black tank is for "icky" waste, like toilet, grey is for cleaner waste, like sink & shower? Do I have that right?

If there's no grey tank, where does the water go? Can a larger tank be retrofitted? I should probably ask how much *clean* water will a "newer" (77+) model hold? What about a hot water heater? I like my showers, LOL. Everyone else can shower in the nasty camp bathroom.

I'm going to have to investigate the idea of completly re-doing a trailer - the idea of making a separate back bedroom for the kids, w/ 2 bunks, and then having the bath, and then the kitchen/living area, w/ fold out couch is appealing.

Melissa
Melissa,

You are correct with your definations of a black and grey water tank. Our 1979 23' Safari has a 7 gallon grey tank, a larger trailer has a larger grey tank but still not large enough for many showers and dish washing. If you are in a campground with sewer hookups, you just hook up the drain to the site sewer connection, open the valve for the grey tank and the water goes down the sewer just like at home.

For those trailers which do not have a grey tank, you either use campgrounds with sewer or use a portable tank, aka blue boy, and carry it to a dump station.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
FWIW the gray tank on the 75 rear bath 31' is a whopping 10 gallons, black is a bit more substantial IIRC 25 gallons. Best solution is a blue boy of no more than about 30 gallons, remember water weighs in at around 8# per gallon.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
FWIW the gray tank on the 75 rear bath 31' is a whopping 10 gallons, black is a bit more substantial IIRC 25 gallons. Best solution is a blue boy of no more than about 30 gallons, remember water weighs in at around 8# per gallon.

Aaron
Aaron,

That's what wheels and a carrying handle are for, my brother

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote