Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #1

1966 20' Globetrotter
1984 31' Airstream310
Talcott , West Virginia
Question kfran48

I'm new to this site and excited about finding it. We are the proud owners of two Airstreams. Our trailer is a 1966 20 ft. Globetrotter that my husband and I have completely redone inside. We haven't gotten the mirror finish on the outside yet-another project. Our second Airstream is a 1984 31 foot Class A. We call her our Classy Lady! She's pretty much vintage inside. We drove from West Virginia to Dallas,Texas to pick her up last year on the day Katrina hit. We do have some questions about her mechanics and hope that some of you can help. She is on a GM-P-30 chassis with a 7.4 L. engine. She has a Banks system . We do a lot of mountain driving and wonder at what temperature should we be concerned about the motor over- heating. We are consistently running between 212 and 220 degrees.
kfran48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I can't answer your questions, but just wanted to welcome you to the forum! Oh, and post pictures. We like pictures!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Welcome to the Forum - I'm new here also - great place for answers. We are originally from WV so yes you are doing some mountian driving. Here is some info. from "Experts" site - looks like you may have a temp. problem..?

Expert: Harry Jacobson, P.E.
Date: 1/25/2006
Subject: 7.4L Low power and Overheating

Question
I have a 1996 Chevrolet 3500 HD the entire cooling system has been replaced with new parts and I still seam to have a problem with the temperature running about 220. It dosen't seem to have the power that it should have for such a large displacement. The truck has a little over 50,000 miles on it and has been expertly maintained its whole life. This has the mechanic who has always serviced it and myself puzzled. I will be grateful for any suggestions.

Answer
The operating temperature is too high and will, if it has not already, damage the engine.

A vacuum gauge is still one of the best diagnostic tools out there. It can tell a mechanic about the condition of the valves, valve timing, and exhaust system as well as detect intake leaks.

In fact, one of the things I would check for is a restriction in the exhaust, either in the catalytic converter and/or muffler.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome to the Forums kfran48!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums from Florida

Welcome! this is the place where Airstream is spoken.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote