Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Gallatin Gtwy , Montana
Kevin The Rookie

Hello All-

I was in the market for a used camper for fishing, hunting, tailgating etc. when i came across this one. I believe it is a 71, 27'. After reading some forums last night i will look for the model ID on the door. It looked like more of a project than i was up for but the same day i came across a restored unit and saw the potential so i bought it. The exterior is a little dented (all 4 corners) but as with all of my recreational gear i will use it and abuse it and didn't want something i was scared about damaging.

I will be towing it with an 05 Dodge 1500 with the large v8 and towing package. Do i need a stabilizer hitch? Can this truck handle it?

My first thought was to bring it to a trailer dealer and have the hubs repacked or replaced and add some barring buddies. Any sugestions? I don't believe it has trailer breaks. again any sugestions?

My next step is to park it in my drive and finish gutting it. Would love to hear from anyone about where to begin and what to lookout for. I also plan on starting from scratch and selling or disposing of some of the original parts (Fridge, stove, maybe shower? old bed parts) and using the KISS principle. Again with the current body shape i don't feel this is a candidate for a true restoration so i will finish it with what i can afford / tackle mechanicly.

I'm very excited to tackle this project and looking at this site gave me some confidence that i can do it!!!!!

I would apreciate any and all coments!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Air1.bmp (191.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: bmp air2.bmp (191.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: bmp air3.bmp (191.7 KB, 74 views)
fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
congratulations and welcome to a great resource on the internet. you'll find lots of good advice here.

check out this link to the major renovations. lot's of good info applicable to what you're planning on doing.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!You can find good information on values and determining such here:Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values Good luck!Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote