Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Just put deposit down!

Should be picking up our new (2012) International Signature 23FB in a week or two! Can't wait.

New to Airstream and new to RV'ing. We are jumping in to start a family tradition since we recently welcomed a baby boy to the family...our other first! And we will occasionally have our 3yr old boxer with us, I presume.

A 2012 GMC Acadia will be our tow vehicle.

Hoping to check out all the wonderful places in Michigan, and elsewhere!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Welcome, Terry!

Congratulations on the new little boy!

That's exciting and such a great maneuverable, towable size! Please post photos when you can because I'd like to see! Meanwhile, I'm going to google your TV because I need to upgrade sometime in the next year....

Happy 'Streaming!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Tipton , Michigan
Congrats on both the son and the AS. Michigan is a great place to camp.

T4
Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Wow...

Did I read that right?

You're towing a 23FB with a GMC 3.6L V6 front wheel drive Acadia crossover? And you're new to towing??? With a newborn??? Better pack light.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Congrats on the new trailer. Our last was a FC 23 FB. You love the way it handles.

And, don't miss Petosky State Park!

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Greetings and welcome to the forums. Whereabouts in Michigan are you? We are near Ann Arbor. Our camping trips usually take us to the UP.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Kalamazoo , Michigan
We are in Kalamazoo. Would love tips on places in UP.

The Acadia isn't front wheel drive. Not exactly new to towing, though never an RV, but thanks for the post, Goat.

Thanks to you all for the welcome! I've been reading the forums for quite some time now...lots of helpful advice here.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #8

1968 22' Safari
Oh, ok...so you have the AWD version. Essentially an option on what was ultimately designed primarily as a FWD vehicle. It can't be compared to a RWD vehicle or an AWD vehicle that is based on a RWD platform.

You might want to look into this, from Andy here on our site regarding towing with an Enclave (sister to the Acadia):

"It is interesting to note that the hitch receiver on the Enclave is relatively solid but does require strengthening for higher hitch weights over 400 lbs. The reinforcement goes forward up the center of the chassis above the spare tire. This results in the spare sitting approximately 1.5” lower, but this is hardly noticeable."

When attempting to pull at near maximum weights with a unibody crossover, it's best to thoroughly investigate and research everything you have to do to make it tow properly...you can't just take it to the dealer, tell them to hitch it up and go safely.

Andy is the man to talk to to find out what you have to do to tow that kind of weight with that vehicle.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #9

1968 22' Safari
Also...I would NOT tow with that vehicle without a very stout auxillary transmission cooler...NOT just the tranny cooler in the GM HD radiator:

GMC Acadia Forum: Transmission Cooler installation

No tranny cooler = tranny failure.

Here is a post from someone who burnt up their Acadia transmission pulling a 4000lb POP-UP:

"I used it to pull a 4000 lb pop-up up significant grades (6% for 6+ miles). First trip out, no issues (Car had 65k+). Took car to dealer to have recall work performed - as part of their 82 million point inspections, they mentioned the trans fluid is looking burnt. I have it flushed - and I add an auxiliary trans-cooler in the front of the other radiators (not fun) with it's own manually switched fan to ensure it powers as soon as I hook up. Tried the same trip this last weekend (high of 111, 72k+ on the odometer) and the transmission failed and the truck ran hot to the point of detuning the engine and informing me the transmission was hot, I was to idle the engine, then all the warning lights, bells, and whistles went off. I limped it back home and to the dealer who confirmed the internals did not make it.

The transmission will not go into 3rd, 5th, or 6'th gear - it will also not go into reverse. Basically it is FUBAR. Did I overheat? Depends on your definition - but the engine reduces power before it will do what I would consider to be catastrophic damage.

I *love* my Acadia - even though I have had most of the problems that this board reports - electrical, oil leaks, transmission issues, and so on - but I can now confidently say this - I will *not* be using this to tow near the limit in hot weather again. YMMV."

http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=9146.20

Be safe...
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Kalamazoo , Michigan
Thanks for the tips, Goat. I'll try to figure out who this Andy person is and see what he has to say. I've read as many (or more) good things about the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave being good TVs for Airstream (there's a popular article about someone pulling a 30', I think---though I would never push it that far).
Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Kalamazoo , Michigan
One other note: I think the acadia tow package includes a heavy duty cooler, but maybe what you're saying is that's not quite accurate?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #12

1968 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.morrow View Post
Thanks for the tips, Goat. I'll try to figure out who this Andy person is and see what he has to say. I've read as many (or more) good things about the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave being good TVs for Airstream (there's a popular article about someone pulling a 30', I think---though I would never push it that far).
Thanks again.
The popular article that you are referring to was WRITTEN by Andy. He is the one to talk to...Andy from Can-Am.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #13

1968 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.morrow View Post
One other note: I think the acadia tow package includes a heavy duty cooler, but maybe what you're saying is that's not quite accurate?
The Acadia tow package includes an "all in one" HD radiator that includes a transmission cooler. But, nearly ALL automatics are cooled by an integral cooler in the transmission. It will NOT be adequate to tow that weight no matter what ANYONE tells you. This has been researched for 50 years by people that have towed for half a century. You WILL need a large external auxillary cooler to tow that weight with that vehicle. No matter that GM's tow package says it has a "heavy duty cooler"; if it is built in to the radiator itself you WILL need an external cooler.

The link I sent above provides pictures and a step-by-step procedure for installing one...even though most places will tell you there is no room for one. There is.

Jeff
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Welcome Terry,

You will find a lot of great information on the forum and congratulations on your new babies (trailer and baby).

ggoat refers to Andy Thomson at Can-Am RV here in Ontario, Canada. The people at Cam-Am, led by Andy have spent tons of time reviewing various vehicles, trailers and safe-proper hitch setup.

If you contact them, you will get an honest opinion into your combination.

Safe trailering!
Chris