Old 03-22-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
West Dummerston , Vermont
Just picked up our new Airstream

Yesterday we traveled to Colonial and picked up our new Airstream. We had purchased it back in January and Colonial stored it for us until there was a break in the weather. Yesterday was that break. Great day for traveling and I was super impressed on how my F150 towed our 25' FC. So glad to have it sitting in our yard. Now if only mother nature will cooperate and let us have an end to winter. Then the fun begins.

While at Colonial we met Mark L who was taking delivery of his new 27' FC and traveling home- to Boulder, CO. Made our trip back to Vt seem slight. Anyways, safe trip Mark.

2008 Triton TR186
ricks-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Congrats, I am amazed by how far people will travel to take delivery from colonial. I went down from Maine, so my travels where similar to yours.

I suppose the professionalism and friendliness of the folks at colonial has made them one of the best dealers in the county.

Hope you enjoy your new AS.

-J

Old 03-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats!!!!!

I didn't think of it when I was buying but frankly, you're gonna make those long drives anyway - why not go to colonial?

Very happy for you! Hope to see you on the road sometime!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Congratulations on your new trailer! I hope you have many happy travels with it.
I wish we had thought to travel outside our state to buy.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Congratulaitons!

Congratulations and good luck! We are picking up our Eddie Bauer AS from Colonial on April 14th. Since you just completed your pick-up and the experience is fresh in your mind, do you have any advice for someone as to what they should watch for or do on that special day?

Thanks,
Old 03-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Congratulations on your new baby! That's a great floor plan. We would love to see some pictures of her.

May you have many great Airstream adventures.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Here's one: before you take that long drive home, camp in it somewhere nearby for a day or three. Use everything and take notes. In the evening turn on the light inside your storage compartment, close and latch the door. If you can see any light, water will get in there. Do the same for the entry door. These two doors on our brand new trailer were very poorly sealed...so poorly that I'm disappointed the trailer passed QA and left the factory and then the dealer in that state. While sitting at the dinette and looking at the entry door, I could see daylight coming in around the bottom of the door. To fix the entry, they had to remove the door and surrounding skin, re-mount the door and then replace the skin. They also re-worked the storage door so it seals, almost too tightly. The repairs took a couple of days.

That seems pretty egregious pair of screw-ups, which make me wonder whether we got a Monday trailer built by a bunch of hung-over wrench monkeys who just didn't give a hoot. Thus far we've seen nothing else like that, but I wonder.... We love our trailer and we found no other leaks or problems during our epically rainy maiden voyage, but I wish we had done the door check before taking delivery. I probably would have insisted on a different trailer altogether. Seriously, if they couldn't be bothered to get a couple of major structural items right, what else might be wrong that we can't see? <sigh> Over time, we'll find out and get those fixed too, hopefully under warranty. Speaking of which, warranty repairs may be an epic journey unless you can find a closer dealer to do those repairs. We're fortunate enough to have our dealer less than an hour from home.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
Congratulations on your new trailer! I hope you have many happy travels with it.
I wish we had thought to travel outside our state to buy.
..............until it's time for warranty work.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Congratulations! We just bought a 2013 23FB from Colonial, but won't pick it up and bring it back to Vermont until the snow melts. I'm guessing May at this rate...
Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
West Dummerston , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Congratulations and good luck! We are picking up our Eddie Bauer AS from Colonial on April 14th. Since you just completed your pick-up and the experience is fresh in your mind, do you have any advice for someone as to what they should watch for or do on that special day?

Thanks,
To answer your questions about advice, I'd just say that you should go prepared with a list of questions that you want answered and to make sure that each one gets covered while you are there. Other than that the only thing I would suggest is to enjoy (and record) the moment. Take pictures.
2008 Triton TR186
ricks-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Congratulations!! I know you will enjoy your new baby! When you do the walk through, I think it is wise to take your smart phone or ipad and video tape the presentation! There is so much to learn and even though we weren't new at this game, we still had some problems after we brought it home! How did he turn this own? How did he change this? Etc! Good luck!