Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #1

1964 26' Overlander
Pasadena , California
just picked up a 64 Overlander

Well it finally happened I got my first trailer. I have always wanted an AS but I never really thought it would be possible. I figured I would end up buying a newer, ugly, and same as everyone else's trailer that would hold my bikes and family. Never the less I am so excited about this trailer and a small dream has come true.
A big shot producer bought this trailer several years ago to keep it on movie sets. He had it cleaned up and and looks like added this horrible carpet, new tires, brakes, repacked the bearings stained the woodwork and re upholstered the couches. It then sat for a little over three years in somewhat hot conditions in California outside of LA.
I ended up buying this sight unseen well I guess I did see some pictures that were taken after the remodel 3 years ago. (see below) I think i got a killer of a deal because it was $4k under what he thought he was going to sell it for? I picked it up two weeks and have since tore the carpet out, skinned the wood work and checked the appliances. Water pump works not sure how much longer that little belt will last but it pumps. Stove works great haven’t checked the oven yet figured it will work. Refrigerator does not work!!!??? I am hoping that I can get it fixed, it is in great condition. Please give advice. I also haven’t checked the water heater yet. Any tips on the H2O heater
Any way I have been on this forum soon as I knew I was going to buy and have learned a lot of good info. Thanks to all of you who take the time to post. I don’t have too many questions yet because I am doing things now that I am comfortable with. As I get further along this journey I know there will be no end to my questions.
I just remembered a few
1. Advise on refridg
2. Can i get a new bathroom kit? i found new ones for later models
3. good links for Ac units
4. any helpfull hints and tips from you guys would be great.
THANKS
Attached Images

cali shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Welcome to the forum fellow Californian. I also have a '64, but mine looks so small compared to yours! That is a beautiful Airstream.
I have a working original refer in mine, and I have worked on it so am somewhat familiar. The first thing to check is if you have 110volt power at the appliance. Look in the lower exterior access hatch for the outlet. If you have power and its hooked up to the appliance the only things that could be wrong are the heater element is burned out, or the coolant is either gone or not circulating. If the element is burned out it may still work on propane. We will do a lesson on propane another time. I'm way sleepy.

Congratulations!
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
just picked up a 64 Overlander

Greetings cali shine!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali shine View Post
Water pump works not sure how much longer that little belt will last but it pumps.

If the water pump is the original Peters and Russell (PAR) rebuild kits are available and unless it has been the subject of serious freeze damage the pump can easily and economically rebuilt. Rebuild kits are often more readily available from marinas or boating supply outlets.

Quote:
Stove works great haven’t checked the oven yet figured it will work.

The most typical issues with the oven is getting to its LP supply valve (under stovetop) and turning it on. The thermostat is known to be a bit temperamental, but is typically rather durable.

Quote:
I also haven’t checked the water heater yet. Any tips on the H2O heater

If the water heater is the original Bowen, it is likely on it last legs. Mine had to be replaced almost ten years ago because its tank was riddled with pin holes. Many people like the large stand-out water heater covers and keep them to be installed over a new modern water heater. I went with the standard Atwood door on mine. The new water heater will be smaller than the original, particularly if you go with the six gallon -- this size difference results in a need to create a filler panel for the exterior of the coach. You can almost certainly count on spider, wasp, or mud dauber nests in the burner air supply tube or in the main burner tube given the amount of time that the coach has been inactive.

Quote:
1. Advise on refridg
While it isn't uncommon to find one of these early Dometics that is still operable, it is becoming much more unusual. There are at least three companies that have been mentioned on the forums that rebuild the cooling units if you find that yours has developed a leak. Cleaning the chimney/flue from top to bottom is one step toward insuring operation -- it is amazing what "critters" can manage to carry into the chimney.

Quote:
2. Can i get a new bathroom kit? i found new ones for later models
I am not certain what you mean regarding a new bathroom kit, but will provide what information that I have:
  • New blackwater tanks and valve assemblies are available from Inland RV, and I can attest that they fit as near exact replacements for the original.
  • Parts for the toilet are virtually obsolete, particularly anything having to do with the aluminum base. There are at least three current RV toilets that will work with the original cabinetry -- in part the choice depends upon how much you want to spend. I had wanted to go with a china bowl, but when I learned the cost for one that would fit in the original cabinet, I went with the more economically priced Thetford toilet.
  • The bathtub is obsolete and can only be replaced through salvage. It is possible to repair and refinish the original tub/tub enclosure using the same processes utilized for home bathroom refinishing. I had my bathroom refinished nearly sevey years ago and it still looks great.
  • The vanity top is obsolete and can only be replaced through salvage. Like the tub, it can be refinished using similar processes to the household fixtures.
  • An exact replacement for the shower head isn't available, but one that is very similar can be found through Vintage Plumbing on the Web.
  • The vanity uses a standard faucet set with a 4" spread.
  • The tub/shower faucet is available as a reproduction from Vintage Plumbing -- it is sold as a 4" spread clawfoot tub fill/shower valve -- be prepared as it is quite expensive.
Quote:
3. good links for Ac units
There is one limiting factor in selecting an air conditioner. If you wish to utilize an air conditioner with a condesate pan so that the condesate won't drain down the side of the coach, you will need to check with an Airstream dealer or service center to determine what brand and models can be adapted to the Airstream drain pans.

Another factor will influence your install of an air conditioner. The designed location for an air conditioner is not one of the existing vent openings -- rather a new opening is cut in the room a specidifed measurement from the first front bow -- the electric supply cable should then be found coiled near that opening. Unlike later model Airstreams, the 1964 models didn't have a condesate drain tube built-in to the wall, rather it was added at the time of the air conditioner install and was routed along the bulkhead into the overhead roof locker then down to the floor and out through the bellypan. Bracing will need to be added between the bows as well as around the opening -- there are several discussions of exactly what is needed here on the Forums.

Quote:
4. any helpfull hints and tips from you guys would be great.
Your coach has at least one rather unusual accessory -- at least in my experience with '64 Overlanders -- the LP lamp on the end of the kitchen peninsula.

It also looks like you have the original drop-leaf dinette table. These tables are very handy, and I have found mine to be exceptionally useful. The particle board subtrate, however, does begin breaking down now that our coaches are approaching 50 years of age. I likes mine so well that I retained the original hardware and had a new oak top built for the table -- and it actually weighs no more than the original with its particle board subtrate.

From the photos it is difficult to tell, but if you have a round outlet with a screw on cap about 8" above eye level, your coach may be equipped with the optional porch lamp -- a rather rare option that was beginning to fade from favor by 1964.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote