Old 07-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Wellandport , ON
Just joined the Vintage Airstream Club!

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just picked up a 1977 31' Airstream Sovereign that we will be completely gutting and rebuilding. We are currently selling everything we own and will be taking off full time in our Airstream as soon as we can get it ready. We are documenting the whole renovation on YouTube, so if you're interested in the process or want to see what we create, please check us out.

https://youtu.be/nVeiReazHlE

Coady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums, and good luck on this path that is oft set out upon, but not so often completed!

By the by, there actually is an official Vintage Airstream Club (VAC).

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coady View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife and I just picked up a 1977 31' Airstream Sovereign that we will be completely gutting and rebuilding. We are currently selling everything we own and will be taking off full time in our Airstream as soon as we can get it ready. We are documenting the whole renovation on YouTube, so if you're interested in the process or want to see what we create, please check us out.

https://youtu.be/nVeiReazHlE
Chris, Welcome to the forums. I love the video documentation. Many of us here have done exactly what you are starting. It is nice watching someone else for a change, lol. I am sure you will have many questions and boy do we have answers and many un-asked for opinions, lol. Looking forward to watching your process. Best of luck.
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #4

1978 31' Sovereign
Holts Summit , Missouri
Look forward to seeing what you do!
KatMandoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado, both to these Airstream forums and to the vintage Airstream hobby. I have a 75 Overlander that I have renovated. I have a friend with a 76 Sovereign that we will work on together next winter. You will find many "project threads" concerning renovating or restoring the Sovereign 31' model. Our 70s made trailers have several special areas of concern that will likely need addressed in your work.

I might recommend a "project thread" in the Airstream trailer Knowledgebase found toward the bottom of the Forums page. The project thread acts kinda like a "blog" where you can post progress made, problems encountered, and ask for advice with this or that. It is an excellent way to get some interaction and help.

Look up and read some 77 Sovereign project threads and see what you can learn, especially from the folks who built there trailers for full time living. Not an easy task with an Airstream considering their lightweight aluminum construction.

You may like just taking a peak at my 75 Overlander 27' project thread, linked below. There are better threads, but it might be a quick example for you to see how it works.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Awnings (Small).JPG
Views:	10
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	346000  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote