Old 04-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
1960 22' Safari
New York , New York
Just Joined, Just Started a Full Restoration

Hi Everybody,

My wife and I bought our 1962 Bambi off E-bay last summer. It was born in the same year as each of us so seemed perfect. We live in Manhattan but keep the trailer at a small cottage in Montauk where I've commenced a full restoration project on it. I've never done anything like this so am probably in way over my head, but so far I've been enjoying the demo process and reading all kinds of forums and websites for advice and strategies.

I removed all the interior structures, carefully saving and labeling all the parts and taking lots of pictures and making diagrams of things etc. I've removed the interior skin and all the insulation (was surprised to find that the curved end dome pieces were fibreglass and not aluminum!). I'm planning to lift the shell and then completely beadblast, repair, restore, and repaint the chassis. I'm going to get a new axle and brakes as well. Then slowly build it all back up from here.

I hope when done to have a trailer that appears totally original except better and with the best systems I can find in it. I also hope to include solar or wind power systems to make it totally self sufficient. Sound like a couple years of work? I figure it is. I hope it all works out. Fingers crossed.

Your forums have already provided many, many, excellent ideas and insights. Thanks for your generosity of mind and spirit!

Best!

Steve Hamilton and Jocelyn Joson

Old 04-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Hi Steve and Joycelyn )

Just dropping in to say welcome aboard ! You've come to the right place for information and finding out how to do those upgrades on your Bambi. If the guys here don't know the answer, then it just can't be done!!

May your project run somewhat smooth and all your future travels be joyfull and safe.

Once again, Welcome aboard to the world of Airstreaming....

Happy trails,

Safari-Rick
05 AS Safari LS 25

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Welcome

Hi, great to see another Bambi project. I've been working on mine since last September. I'm getting ready to repaint the interior shell and lay the flooring. How about some pictures, so we can follow your progress. Our Bambi is a CA. 1963.
Happy Trails Don
Old 04-12-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Welcome to the forums and good luck with your restoration

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
1960 22' Safari
New York , New York
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hey It's great to hear from everyone so far. I'm going to post a few pics of the outside. I didn't take any full pictures of the inside before I started, just detail pieces. There are two major flaws in the outside shell which I'll include. The previous owner cut out the old front window with a sawzall and replaced it with a leaky one that sticks out and doesn't look good. I have a feeling it'll be difficult to find another. The other is that the hot water hatch was enlarged and replaced with a hatch that was not aluninum! but looks just like some other sort of regular trailer material. The inside was all original and actually in pretty good shape including several wally hooks, three perforated copper cone lamps and lots of other cool details. I hope to restore all the old hinges and handles and hooks etc, but will replicate the cabinetry in some kind of swedish thinply or something.

Anyway, thanks again everyone, and here's my first attempt to post a few pictures!

Steve H.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

canton , tx
Hi David and welcome. I'm also in the middle of a restoration without any prior experience. Good luck on your project. joe
Old 04-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiBambi
Hi Everybody,

Sound like a couple years of work? I figure it is. I hope it all works out. Fingers crossed.

Steve Hamilton and Jocelyn Joson
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to your progress. Hate to break it to you but once the bug bites the work never ends.
Good luck to you.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
1960 22' Safari
New York , New York
Chaplain Kent,

Concerning the bug. I have in fact spent an awful lot of hours lately researching all the best parts on line and in the forums. And I do wake up sort of thinking about it. And often as I'm falling asleep . . .

Uh oh.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I like HamiBambi handle. Thanks for the pictures. Take lots of pictures for yourself. More that you think are necessary. 6 months from now when you won't to but something back together, you will thank the shutter bug.
Don
Old 05-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Welcome to the forums. Wonderful to have another vintage Bambi owner. It looks as though you have built in levelers at the back and a retractable stair. Am I correct?

And either your wheel wells are far different than my '61 or my axle is REALLY shot.

Good luck on your reconstruction you've got an excellent trailer to start with.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
1960 22' Safari
New York , New York
Hi AS Gypsy,

I'd lost track of this thread and only just saw your post. The answer to both your questions is yes there are these handy levelers on the back and the stair is retractable. I looked at your homesite and it looks beautiful. Perhaps one day when this Bambi is done we'll make it out to Colorado and we and our Bambis can hang out together. I got the shell off just yesterday! A big milestone in my process. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Steve H.