Old 09-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Wiarton , Ontario
Just down the road!

Hi Steve,
Great to see you here! Shame that wallet was empty Looks like we have resto buddys to keep us motivated, once we get started..... funny we both have Safaris....

Claire

Check out our new Blog Vintage '66 Safari Airstream Trailer
Shiny Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
dr-quest

1973 23' Safari
1965 20' Globetrotter
Wiarton , Ontario
Older is better

I think its great that chris and the other guy will check over your trailer as you go home. I would have a load of questions for them. So many things that could be easy if you are just told once, as opposed to digging around and wondering what this & that does. I am in a constant probbing mode and finding more issues as I go. Maybe I will invite them for dinner and pick their brains . Cant wait to go see chris`s project. Safaris are a nice size for all around use and a 66 is nice and vintage.Cant wait to see how you deck it out. Oh by the way when you said you saw one on the way to my place I thought you ment the 65 globetrotter not the 27 / 30 footer on the farm around the corner. When I said the frame is shot, I ment the globetrotter. Dont know anything about the big one, its just newer then I wanted.
Steve

Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #17
dr-quest

1973 23' Safari
1965 20' Globetrotter
Wiarton , Ontario
Door handle

Hello Chris
Here is a picture of the door handle back plate I was looking for. And another front floor shot. I will go to fastenal for the tempro.
Thanks Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0857.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	139310   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0858.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	139311  

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0863.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	139312   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0866.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	139313  

Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #18
x

XXXX , XXXX
Good Morning Steve, I have that exact door handle that you can scavage some parts from but the casing itself does have some damage to it.
Your's is pretty bad. They are available but are pricey.
Is that new plywood laying on top of the original floor? There is quite a bit if rot just in front of the door under the windows. I would seriously cosider replacing the floor entirely before going too far into any renovations. Start with a good foundation then do the finishes.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-quest View Post
Hello Chris
Here is a picture of the door handle back plate I was looking for. And another front floor shot. I will go to fastenal for the tempro.
Thanks Steve
That lock is called a KT lock.

It's only available from Airstream and is very expensive.

However, there is a lock kit available, that is considerably cheaper, that replaces your complete lock.

Andy
Old 09-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #20
dr-quest

1973 23' Safari
1965 20' Globetrotter
Wiarton , Ontario
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Chris & Andy
I did find the whole mechanism online for around $470.00 which I though was way to much. Chris thanks again for all your help. I will scavenge the backplate if its at all better then mine.My wife is a goldsmith and works with various casting companys. Maybe I can get one cast in stainless or sterling silver at that price . I have decided to hold off on the floor until I see your project, so I have a better understanding of the construction. Also I will bring more photos and info to help. The plywood has been down for years, its just 1/8 sub floor overlay. The trailer sat on an angle and all water ran to that side from the roof vent. In the meanwhile I have lots to do. I will be adding new gaskets and recaulking all the windows.
Thanks again guys
A great site, there was nothing like this when I was doing the canned hams