Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

1969 18' Caravel
Rapid City , South Dakota
Just got her!

Just acquired an 18' 1969 Caravel - happy day! It's all original but has been sitting for about 30 years in the South Dakota weather - outside. She was basically used as a man cave and then for storage. She actually looks pretty good but needs a lot of work, so I'll definitely have a lot of questions for everyone. She was trailered to the shop to get in to 'towable' condition - tires, wheels, wiring, etc. Then I'll get her home and start on the interior. Hopefully, the SD winter will be kind and I will be able to get a lot of the interior work done before spring. First order of business is to get an owner's manual, so if anyone has one available - please let me know. Glad to be here!!!
69Caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Owners & service manuals

The manuals sometimes become available on Ebay or craigslist. You might consider posting on your local craigslist in the want ad section. It is free. If you are a VAC member, some manuals are available on CD from their librarian.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Congratulations!!! Pics, please!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #4

1969 18' Caravel
Rapid City , South Dakota
Here she is...

...as she sat last summer. She had sunk in to the dirt up to her rims but still looked good to me I'll send more soon.

I thought I uploaded an image in "manage attachments" but for some reason it doesn't show up here. Help!?
69Caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Initial things to Fix

You really do not need the manuals to get started. The basics are all the same. First you need to identify the jacking points (not under the axles) and get it up in the air to get rid of those old tires and check out the brakes and bearings. If the tires do not drop down at least three inches when you jack it up, you need a new axle. If you need an axle, forget the brakes and bearings. It is cheaper to buy the complete assembly. If the axle looks alright, you likely need new bearings and brakes. If the drums are not too badly rusted you can likely save them. There are not too many brake shops that can grind both the diameters and flat inside of the drums. Start off by asking around at the trailer places, as cars do not use these kind of brakes. Buy a set of backing plate assemblies from on line as there are usually a lot cheaper here.

Once you get the running gear working, you can start with the interior. There is nothing unusual about the appliances they are make by the usual supplier that other trailer manufacturers us. You local RV shop can supply many of the replacements you need but at higher prices than you can get over the internet. Getting a set of books would be a help from this point forward.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote