Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Enjoy the hunt - it's a big part of the fun and excitement of Airstreaming. I spent months checking eBay, Craigslist, and Air Forums; though I was willing to travel (or even buy sight unseen if need be), I found our DreamStream almost in our backyard! Lucky stars were shining.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Hi Tim, welcome to the forum!

We found our two that are in excellent condition at time of purchase at 1) an A/S dealer (1977 Safari--paid premium price, but worth it to hit the road immediately with everything working) and 2) through the local Thrifty Nickel (1986 34' Ltd--lowered price because buyer and seller both A/S nuts, seller wanted a loving home for his baby, also excellent condition, everything working--now living in it for 9 mos in TX).

Our 4 fixer-uppers I found simply by driving around the countryside and spotting them lurking in fields, behind barns, in storage lots, even just wearing an A/S tee noticed at a gas station by the son of an A/S owner ('55 whale tail FC!! ) who struck up a conversation. Winter is a good time to drive and search because the leaves are off the trees and visibility is better in those backyards and barnyards. Better to have one driver, one searcher--and you'll be amazed at how quickly your eyes become attuned to spotting even fractions of the rounded silver contours.

You will also be amazed at how quickly you become addicted to aluminum; we are terminal cases but happy in our habit!

Good luck!

Vivian

Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Tim, from the pictures, it looks like you fell in love with a 1970s Overlander or Ambassador. They're not uncommon trailers, but you might have to look for a while to find a nice one.

What is your budget? That's going to make a difference when it comes to how "fixed-up" the trailer is. As someone who paid to have a lot of work done on a vintage trailer, it helps to find a trailer where someone else has done the work and taken that financial hit.

And I need to put in a pitch for my buddies' rather nice Argosy here in CT, listed in the classifieds...really nice price for a pretty and solid trailer...

Tom
Old 01-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Tom, I've already noticed that Argosy and book marked it. She looks great.

I'm still in negotiations with my partner in life and crime to figure out what we want to do. The trailer I fell in love with is being used as a park model in Florida, but the owners (my partner's aunt and uncle and grandmother) would be willing to give it to us if we take over the park rent. Might be a good opportunity to escape the frigid Vermont winters and have a good stable place from which to begin remodeling that trailer. Who knows? Still so much to discuss
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Tim, We just purchased our first AS 2 months ago! The search was almost a year and it was a great part of the fun. We live in No. Cal and ended up buying from an AS dealer in Missouri! ROAD TRIP! Again...it added to the experience. If you are looking for an older AS, I did find a group in Santa Barbara, CA who specializes in AS restoration. They will restore yours or they have some for sale they have restored. Their detail was amazing! I am sure there is someone in your area who does the same thing. Best of Luck! Don't lose sight of YOUR DREAM and don't settle. Your AS is waiting!

Ron & Karen Mancuso
Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
what to buy??

is a very individual question. For us, there were two driving physical factors and one emotional one. The physical factors were determined by our intended use. My wife has always wanted to ride bicycle across the country. First, we wanted something that would be comfortable for us and our dog "Lucky" a 50lb blue healer, for a couple of weeks at a time. For Maureen that meant enough room for bike clothes and gear as well as enough stores we wouldn't have to resupply every few days. For me that meant a table area big enough to sit at comfortably and a separate sitting area to relax ie living room. I am 6'2" and the beds in anything smaller than 27-28' were too small for me. The emotional factor was this was to be fun not work. we looked at many diff. models at a dealership. we liked the sales person but from the minute management got involved it wasn't fun. we actually made an offer, it was accepted and then the dealership started backing out of every promise they made to us and started telling us how it was going to be. we didn't like that much. so we cancelled the deal and started looking on craigslist. much like your description, we were willing to do some work but sure didn't want to rebuild. after looking at dozens, sitting in several and meeting a few sellers we met a nice older couple who had passed the point in their lives of being able to tow a trailer around. they were very nice people, kept excellent care of the trailer and we liked it. I spent half a day going through everything I knew to look at. Once we were sure we wanted to make an offer we hired the mechanic who had worked on this trailer to do a prebuy inspection, which largely became a tutorial since he knew the trailer well. it was a very pleasant purchase for us. we ended up with a 1994 classic limited 34'. I am replacing the carpet and counter tops, mostly because we want to not because it is really necessary and having some reappolstery work done. Unless you have it already hold off on buying your TV until after you select a TT.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I'm not worthy of owning an Airstream. I let my first love slip through my fingers and land in a scrap heap. As I write this, the Ponderosa is being hauled to a junk yard. I didn't act in time to save her. 😔
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , D.C.
Good luck in your search. I recently got 'serious' about my attraction and have started to look as well. Hopefully by the time I get my trailer I'll have a partner to share it with!

If you haven't already, you may want to get a copy of 'The Newbies Guide To Airstreaming', it's a neat little introductory guidebook. It will be a while before I have mine but figure it can't hurt to familiarize myself while I plan my escape from DC!

Cheers
Jonathan
Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Sorry, Tim. It all happens for a reason. Now go out and do your homework. I found out the hard way that you MUST know AS values so you know when to act. I found a wonderful AS. Just the model I wanted. We bid too low and boom! It was gone. onceIi educated myself, I realized a good deal and moved on it. Thus we are the owners of a wonderful AIRSTREAM! Patience, Grasshopper!! ;-)
Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Is it really that much more difficult to get a tow vehicle first then find a trailer that will work with it? My car has proven quite unreliable, and may (probably will) be trading it fairly soon. And while I'm making a change, why not just get something that can pull my beautiful baby of the future? Right?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
It's not that bad getting the TV first, just try to get a good idea of the year (newer trailers are heavier, the decade is close enough) and largest size (plan the next size up from that) trailer you will get to make sure you get the right TV otherwise you could cost yourself more money or disappointment of passing up the trailer you really want.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #26
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I bought the new Airstream THEN the TV. Probably a lot of folks end up doing this. I will say that once the bug bites, the only was to assuage the bite is to just make the move. Lots of folks start small and move to a larger trailer. That makes sense, but trust me...a bit of space is very welcome on a cold and rainy day where you're stuck inside with just your partner and two basset hounds!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
TV or TT which comes first

I supposed it depends on your criteria. You can buy a TV first and recognize that it may limit what you want to tow or where you want to go. I bought an older F150 a few years ago (before we even thought about an AS), put a new engine in it and it works perfectly for the use I intended it. However, when we decided to purchase an AS we decided in the end we didn't want to use it as a TV. While it has the power to pull it, the pickup is so light I wasn't as comfortable it would stop the TT safely in an emergency, especially going down hill. We will also be crossing the rockies and going over the siskiyou pass and I really didn't want to be stuck laboring at 30 mph either. So we bought another truck. others may have a different perspective.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kokomo , Indiana
If you would like to e-mail me with your wish list, I will forward a great lead for you.
gjwalls@comcast.net