Old 03-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
I was told by AS that the .032 are harder to bend for the compound curves and that the .025 are much easier to work with. They are a tad cheaper though. However, in my latest search i believe i have located the compound curve panels i need. Just waiting to hear back. This would save me some money in paying someone to bend them on the english wheel. Curious when you say i could build my own 13 panel end caps with flat sheets, are you proposing to not have any compound curves on it? Its only that one side that needs the compound curves replaced. I believe its the 1,2 and 3 panels from the front.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I was just thinking that getting compound curved segments made from scratch on an English Wheel that fit an existing partial endcap may be much harder to accomplish than just rebuilding the entire endcap as a 13 panel unit. If you only have a couple of damage segments and can get used "factory made" replacements, then that would be the way to go.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #59
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
The windows are no longer made. There is no current supplier. You'll need a donor or parts trailer or someone who has parted a trailer to supply you with said windows and door.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:57 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
In viewing the forums you may have seen other units that were fire or hail damaged where they are replacing panels and in doing so replaced the panel and covered the previous opening for the window at the same time. So you have the opportunity to repair and relocate or remove windows altogether. Just a thought.
Cliff
Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Hi. Thanks. Someone on the forum sent me a link to a place that sells all used parts including windows and doors. I think i lucked out. They have a pretty good supply of the right size windows. Someone else just made a recommendation too that since i will be replacing the panels on that one damaged side i dont have to go back with the windows there or i could use another size. That makes perfect sense. I also found a local shop here that carries used parts from airstreams and they have the awning windows . Austins a great place to be restoring an airstream because they are in such high demand here. There being used for food trailers all throughout Austin and so when they remodel them for that use they typically take out the original windows. I have a couple of options on the door but i'm still researching the most economincal route. My door is a left hand door. I found one that will fit for a pretty good price but its a right hand door. I was told i could reskin in so not sure what all is involved in that but i'm looking into it. What did we all do before the internet? How resourceful we've become. Life is good and so excited about this little trailer. Still logging down all the cost before i move forward but it's coming together better than i initially thought and mostly because of the help of some of the folks on this forum. Can't thank you enough. Happy travels!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
I must be pretty lucky then bcz i just found a couple of sources Used but doesn't matter for me. I dont really like much of anything new. Thanks so much
Old 03-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #63
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonianne View Post
I was told by AS that the .032 are harder to bend for the compound curves and that the .025 are much easier to work with. They are a tad cheaper though. However, in my latest search i believe i have located the compound curve panels i need. Just waiting to hear back. This would save me some money in paying someone to bend them on the english wheel. Curious when you say i could build my own 13 panel end caps with flat sheets, are you proposing to not have any compound curves on it? Its only that one side that needs the compound curves replaced. I believe its the 1,2 and 3 panels from the front.
What the principle is, is similar to building a curved brick wall with a rectangular brick. The 13 segments are narrower, so when assembled, you have the curving end. There is some give to the segments as you rivet them together and to the frame that curves them also, but in essence, you are creating the compound curve effect with a simple curve in the length of the panel and illusion of a curve across the width of multiple panels which are simply short, straight segments.
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
It's been a while since I posted so figured I would give an update. I still have my globetrotter and am still working on putting her back together. It's been such a fun learning challenge. First let me start by saying that the biggest challenge that many pointed out as an impossible, has been conquered. The front compound curve panels on my airstream have been located and will soon be on their way to me. Segment 1,2 and 3 panels needed replaced from the tree impact and I found a supplier who had the exact ones to fit. The bottom panel needs replaced too but its a flat panel and a local sheet metal company has the exact gage and alloy used by airstream. I met a welder in town who actually has an English wheel but thanks to the compound curve panels I found I won't him. I found two guys here in town who can repair the body damage including weld the 2 structural rails that broke from impact. They can also lift the shell and replace the subfloor. They are both very qualified. One guy thats all he does it restore airstreams. i went to visit his shop and At the time he had a dozen or more in his shop including a 63 globetrotter Now I just have to decide if I should replace the belly pan or just do away with it. Since Its going to be a guest house on my property I'm thinking I don't need it. If down the line I sell it and someone wants to take it on the road they always can add it. I almost have the entire airstream gutted. I've been doing it myself in my spare time. I took out all the interior shell and plan to rewrite it, re plumb it and insulate it. The journey continues. Will update with photos once the body works been done.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #65
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Great news, stay in touch...