Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
I don't want to be the doubter here, but have to ask, what's the spec on the 4 x 10 sheets for $54? There's no way that's T3 2024 but maybe it's for the interior or belly, really curious….

No it's not. that i can buy for $100 a sheet. The $54.60 is for .032 at 5052H32 which i was told can be used on the airstreams.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
where is the best place to get windows/63 Globetrotter

I need all 6 windows for my globetrotter. I also need a door Any advice and referrals much appreciated.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #45
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
did we not ask the same question here?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...-117000-3.html
Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Airstreamsupply.com
This place has many used windows
Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonianne View Post
I need all 6 windows for my globetrotter. I also need a door Any advice and referrals much appreciated.
If its only the glass, that's available at any glass shop. If its the frames, you'll need to find a donor, like the one in Wa, otherwise you're likely to be spending about a couple hundred $ per window, if you can find them at all. Ditto for the door, but that'll likely cost about $600.

Have we got your attention yet?

If your source is selling 4 X 10 2024 T3 for $100, they are losing money, so i'd be curious to see if the story changes when you go to pick them up. Your local shop with the English Wheel will need to work for peanuts in order to sell you the required panels "cheaply".

I don't want to be a "nay sayer", but many of us have been doing this for a long time & this is going to cost you real $ & a lot of time to get it done to a reasonable degree.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
If its only the glass, that's available at any glass shop. If its the frames, you'll need to find a donor, like the one in Wa, otherwise you're likely to be spending about a couple hundred $ per window, if you can find them at all. Ditto for the door, but that'll likely cost about $600.

Have we got your attention yet?

If your source is selling 4 X 10 2024 T3 for $100, they are losing money, so i'd be curious to see if the story changes when you go to pick them up. Your local shop with the English Wheel will need to work for peanuts in order to sell you the required panels "cheaply".

I don't want to be a "nay sayer", but many of us have been doing this for a long time & this is going to cost you real $ & a lot of time to get it done to a reasonable degree.
Colin
Hi , you all have my full on attention so keep the advice coming and thanks for taking the time to respond. If its a couple of hundred per window that's not too bad. I was thinking it was going to be much more than that. Windows are essential so not an unreasonable expense. About my source for the panels , I've been doing business with them for nearly 10 years . They are one of the biggest sheet metal cos in town and I'm dealing direct with the owner. If he tells me what the price is , I have no reason to believe it will be anything but. I will supply the guy with the English wheel the panels . He just needs to do the work which he's been doing for 20 years so I don't doubt him either. Lets just pretend money is not an option and time is on my side btw, where's a good source for the windows besides a donor.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Hi , you all have my full on attention so keep the advice coming and thanks for taking the time to respond. If its a couple of hundred per window that's not too bad. I was thinking it was going to be much more than that. Windows are essential so not an unreasonable expense. About my source for the panels , I've been doing business with them for nearly 10 years . They are one of the biggest sheet metal cos in town and I'm dealing direct with the owner. If he tells me what the price is , I have no reason to believe it will be anything but. I will supply the guy with the English wheel the panels . He just needs to do the work which he's been doing for 20 years so I don't doubt him either. Lets just pretend money is not an option and time is on my side btw, where's a good source for the windows besides a donor.
Oh also Airparts inc will sell those panels in 4x10 sheets for $160 which isnt a bad price. But it sure does pay too have a good local connection.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Still looking for a good source for windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
did we not ask the same question here?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...-117000-3.html
this is the first time I asked this question specifically. Although a few have offered some options still looking for others. Is that ok?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #51
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
ebay, craigslist or the Forums classifieds, but your best bet is still to buy that donor in Wa. You'll never find a cheaper donor.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
No it's not. that i can buy for $100 a sheet. The $54.60 is for .032 at 5052H32 which i was told can be used on the airstreams.
Tonianne, Are you comparing Apples to Apples? Literally you could use any .032 Aluminum stock on any aluminum trailer that calls for .032 thickness aluminum. That however does not mean it is the correct aluminum to use on an Airstream! If however, you are only wanting to cosmetically make the exterior "look" like it is a functional RV and not intended to make it operational, then by all means use whatever you can find locally or elsewhere. Also, are you aware that the end cap segments are not the same as the body panels? They are thinner stock, this if I remember correctly, is so they could be formed into the compound curves that make up the end caps segments. I really think it would be very hard to form the .032 into these segments. I bet Andy R. from InlandRv could really tell you for sure regarding the correct grades of and thicknesses for aluminum that where used by Airstream. Of coarse that is only if you are restoring to usable as a Travel Trailer or just to a state of a non-functional piece of yard art! All the advise pro or con cannot help you if we don't understand the exact project you are trying to achieve. Your best bet is to document what you do to satisfy your project needs and ask for no more advise on how to do it the right way. Many folks live by the old motto... There's a Right way, a Wrong way and My way. You make the choice! Just remember down the road if you ever sell this trailer that someone could get hurt if it isn't restored properly! Just my two cents worth. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
ebay, craigslist or the Forums classifieds, but your best bet is still to buy that donor in Wa. You'll never find a cheaper donor.
Colin
Ive been in contact with that donor in Wa but they have to have it gone by saturday and i can't get someone out there that quick. That was a great suggestion and how awesome would that have been but it's just not goingt to work. Besides that door may not even fit and it only has the rear window on it so i still need 5 others even if i was to get it.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Hi. So i just double checked to make sure i'm comparing apples to apples and from what ive been told and i'm only relying on the source this comes from , Airparts Inc, they say airstream uses the .032/2024T3 for the flat panels and they use .025/5052H32 on the belly pan and end caps/compound curve areas. Obviously the 5052H32 is used in those areas because its easier to bend and work with. My Local suppliers price is $51.23 for a 4x10 sheet of the .025 vs Airparts $9.20LF which comes to $110 plus shipping for the same.(12' sheet) I think i only need 1-10' piece but if i need that 12' than i will get it from Airparts. So that all seems pretty straight forward. As far as my intended use , i plan to make this a guest house on my property. I do not know what the future holds as nothing is forever but while restoring this, if thats what i end up doing, i will definitely keep in mind its potential future use. In the remodeling business we call projects that are done the wrong way a remuddle. I'm a high end restoration builder and i just simply dont cut corners with my work. The same will apply with this trailer. I have been keeping a running log since day one and writing down everything informative and resourceful from this forum. A friend of mine who has restored several of these trailers recommended i sign on. So glad i did. Thanks so much for the heads up on apples to apples. Keep you posted as things progress.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I can't say for certain, but I am quite skeptical that AS uses .025 aluminum on the compound curved endcaps. I am more inclined to believe that the sheet starts out as at least .032, if not thicker, before being stretched over the form to get the compound curve.

But all that aside, as long as you are recreating so much of the trailer from scratch, you need not constrain yourself to compound curved segments in the endcaps. Airstreams of the 50's used multiple flat panels to achieve the same look. You could build your own 13 panel endcaps, buy all flat sheets for the project, avoid the English wheel, and still end up with a trailer that is very unique!

1953 Clipper 17' - Vintage Airstream
Old 03-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Seems like you sere looking for a new door as well--I stumbled over some used parts on the site below:

Doors and door locks