Old 03-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
You could always make it a 13 panel clone and you wouldn't need any compound curve segments at all...

Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
I'm with Cliff. I'll admit, when I first saw the pic, I too was of the mind that it was a parts trailer at best. But, after reading all the previous comments, I'm fired up for you to prove everyone wrong! It's YOUR trailer, do what YOU want to do. Worse that can happen is it doesn't work out and you're out a few bucks, but think of the eternal glory that will be yours if you pull it off. You'd be a god around here.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There is no shortage of both encouragement and advice on this forum--better than any I know. You just have phrase your question so that the viewers know which you are looking for...
Old 03-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
looking for helpful tips on how to restore my hurting airstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
I'm with Cliff. I'll admit, when I first saw the pic, I too was of the mind that it was a parts trailer at best. But, after reading all the previous comments, I'm fired up for you to prove everyone wrong! It's YOUR trailer, do what YOU want to do. Worse that can happen is it doesn't work out and you're out a few bucks, but think of the eternal glory that will be yours if you pull it off. You'd be a god around here.
No disrespect to anyone on this forum but the more i hear i cannot do this the more i am determined to try to make this happen. I'm not going into this completely blind sided and i do have a good network of local friends and pros who own and have renovated these trailers. I can't just scrap this airstream. I joined because i wanted to hear what everyone had to say even if it wasn't what i wanted to hear. As i explained a bit earlier, i'm a restoration builder. I rennovate early period homes that most people would consider a tear down. I rebuild homes that are structurally unsound, repair foundations that are cracked so bad the walls bow in etc so on and so forth. I am never afraid of a challenge. You are all seeing only one side of the 4 sides to this trailer. All the other sides are in fairly fine shape. I'm not looking to make this trailer pristene so i'm ok with a tad bit of hail damage and even a few dents on it. I have found a source, Airparts. Inc, who sells the panels for only $160. I am on a quest to find someone who can work with the compound curve panels and has the machinery to bend these panels. I'm not giving up on this just yet. I still have alot of homework to do to put the pieces together but i'm not in any rush. It's fine sitting beside my home right now while i gather all the info and cost. I'm still searching for information on how to go about this journey and put this baby back together. Any information any has is greatly appreciated .
Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
It most certainly can be done, no doubt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #34
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
tonianne,
you might want to look for someone with an english wheel to work out the existing curved endcap panels. re-creating them would be far more expensive than buying 2 salvaged endcaps.

Best best is to try to find a donor trailer with 2 salvaged endcaps. if you can get a salvaged endcap @ $500 ea + shipping thats a great deal. new segments are about $500 ea plus shipping or $5k + shipping for all.

airparts is the best price for the *correct* aluminum i have found.

it also looks like one or more of your ribs are damaged.

to do it right you'll need to remove the entire interior to buck rivet the new panels.

If you can find a door for $500 that's a great price - i have seen them upward of $1000.

Obviously you are stubborn and want to do this no matter what airstream renovation experts tell you - that's fine, you'll find help here - just understand this will be an expensive lesson learned.

While i understand you are dedicated to saving what cannot be saved (im in that boat too - my "more expensive than building new" farmhouse reno will testify to that) -

YOU ARE TAKING ON THIS CHALLENGE JUST FOR THE CHALLENGE's SAKE.

A 63 globetrotter "Whole" *will* be cheaper, better and faster than rebuilding this.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I would call that number on the classifieds and arrange for shipping 200. For a door and both end caps plus you can go do the drilling and make sure that you get all of the parts that you need! Even with shipping you safe a bunch of $$$$$. I know that you can do this I just would like to see you save some money to keep it fun.
Cliff
Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The axle may be solid, and that's not a good thing. Do you know those segments use compound curves, and trying to make new ones is difficult at best?
Hi. Just wanted to let you know I found a source who has the compound curves I need for my trailer. They also install. Also, the sheet metal company I do business with has the machinery to fabricate the curved panels and they are not expensive. They supply these to a couple of local vintage airstream restoration companies. and they are the .032/2024 P3 aluminum thats used on airstreams. If your in need or just need their contact info to hold on to let me know and I will pass it along.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
tonianne,
you might want to look for someone with an english wheel to work out the existing curved endcap panels. re-creating them would be far more expensive than buying 2 salvaged endcaps.

Best best is to try to find a donor trailer with 2 salvaged endcaps. if you can get a salvaged endcap @ $500 ea + shipping thats a great deal. new segments are about $500 ea plus shipping or $5k + shipping for all.

to do it right you'll need to remove the entire interior to buck rivet the new panels.

If you can find a door for $500 that's a great price - i have seen them upward of $1000.

Obviously you are stubborn and want to do this no matter what airstream renovation experts tell you - that's fine, you'll find help here - just understand this will be an expensive lesson learned.

While i understand you are dedicated to saving what cannot be saved (im in that boat too - my "more expensive than building new" farmhouse reno will testify to that) -

A 63 globetrotter "Whole" *will* be cheaper, better and faster than rebuilding this.
Someone on here put me in touch with a donor trailer in wash. It's same year and model as mine. ive been in contact with the owner and am thinking of having it shipped. Thanks so much for the advice. I am very resourceful naturally and having the support here gives me even more hope. Cheers!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I'll add my 2 cents here. You're looking at maybe $10,000 to bring it back, and that's on the low side, and only for materials and some of the applicances. If you were able to do it, you may be able to sell it 20k. What I think will probably happen though is that you'd spend $15,000 and only get $18,000 in resale due to the before pics and this is your first job, and it may not be perfect when done.

You posted on a forum with people that have a ton of skill and know how. You've had a couple of the experts that do this for a living tell you not to move forward.

In any other business, people pay consultants to give them advice on how to proceed with an endeavor. You just got a lot of advice for free.

If you want to do a trailer, find another one. Save what pieces you can off this one and sell them, recycle the aluminum and the frame. However, if you have a ton of money, and no need to work, and you want to spend countless hours on something that will not give you a return on your investment except experience, please take lots of pictures for us.

Rob.
Thanks for the info. I'm not looking for a return on my investment. This will likely be a guest house trailer on my property. I've already found a number of sources to help with replacing several of the damaged panels as well as the compound curves. It doesn't sound like its going to cost a bunch of money either. I will do all the demo, electric, plumbing and interior finish out myself. It's going to be fun. I'm seeing the glass half full. if I end up disappointed than I will accept that. At least I didn't give up on myself and the trailer. Keep everyone posted as things progress.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The axle may be solid, and that's not a good thing. Do you know those segments use compound curves, and trying to make new ones is difficult at best?

Hi. Just wanted to let you know i found a professional in town who owns and operates an english wheel. Has for nearly 20 years. This is such great news because he can bend the compound curves for me. Great guy too. Thanks for the heads up on this. It made the quest a priority in my research. Happy travels!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
tonianne,

Thanks so much. I found someone here locally who has an english wheel so a good start in the right direction. I also found a local supplier who has the .032 with the correct alloy for airstreams and they only want $ 54 for a 4x10 sheet. Very reasonable. The door is going to be a challenge. Do you have a reco on a supplier for this and the windows? Still searching the best places to get these.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I don't want to be the doubter here, but have to ask, what's the spec on the 4 x 10 sheets for $54? There's no way that's T3 2024 but maybe it's for the interior or belly, really curious….
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
Tonianne, being that you said you had already bought this, you have just paid for your first AS lesson, hopefully you didn't get taken for much. In the long run, you would be better served to chalk it up to the school of hard knocks. It will be such a daunting task to resurrect this mess that I'm afraid your 'stick to it ambition' will be long gone before your pockets can recover. Best bet for now is to part it out to try and recoup some of your money and look for a better beginner trailer.
This is one of those sad situations where you can pay now or pay later when the bills are much higher and your money much shorter. Sorry!
Hi, No sweat! Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm moving forward on this, collecting all the costs up front before i start spending any money. I paid for this trailer what i would pay for a pair of boots at Nordstroms so i'm not in it for much . I love a challenge. Receiving the " dont do this, glass half empty advice" has really made me want to see the glass half full even more. I'm not fooling myself either i'm pretty resourceful and mostly all the objections i've gotten so far like, theres maybe only a couple of dozens people in the country that have english wheels for the compound curves. I actually found someone locally who has this machine and found a sheet metal shop that carries the specific aluminum and alloy needed for airstreams and they are not expensive at all. People have also said i wouldn't be able to find the compound curves and i got that sorted out. It's not that i dont have respect for the opinions of those in the forum because i really do. It's just noone on here knows me and what i'm capable of I have emotional ties to this trailer. Its not like just throwing away an old pair of shoes. That needs to be thought of when giving someone advice. Thanks again. I will continue to post updates as things progress.