Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
This is one those "...everything worked last time we used it" trailers, right?!

Hmm, really?

Run far away, and quickly! I'm certain it has a slavage title which means even after you spend boatloads of money & time to fix it up - it will be difficult to actually get it on the road safely & legally - and forget ever selling it. If you want a piece of lawn art, a pool cabana or a guest house and still want to spend boatloads of $$$ go for it!

You say "I'm not exactly sure what kind of undertaking this is going to be...", well many on this forum with lots of experience are trying to help you out here...you may want to listen to them.

However, ultimately, you're going to do what you want - good luck with that. It'll be an amazing comeback if sucessful. I hope you continue to post through your rebuild process. Entry door & windows ought to be your last concern....although that donor trailer in the classifieds MR pointed out would be your best bet.

You may want to check out these websites as well:

Price vs Condition Guide and
Suppliers & Resources

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't think even Aerowood would take that on.

perryg114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #17

1968 20' Globetrotter
I understand your determination to keep it alive, and how your home restoration skills work into your optimism, but it may be time to take it off life support and find peace by donating its organs so that others can live. Or...if you have the cash, let it bring the Dr. Frankenstein out of you.

I too wonder What Would Aerowood Do. WWAD? What he would do may not be what he'd recommend.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #18
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, Tonianne! By now, you are probably wondering what the next comment you will get about the investment you made will be. I'm only hear to say "Go for it!" if you think you can make it roadworthy again.

That '63 in the Classifieds is in Washington state, by the way, so I'm guessing you'll need a small flatbed to get it home. But he says "If you think $200 is too much, make an offer.) so who knows, might be worth it!

Best of luck, and please keep us informed with lots of photos?

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I'll add my 2 cents here. You're looking at maybe $10,000 to bring it back, and that's on the low side, and only for materials and some of the applicances. If you were able to do it, you may be able to sell it 20k. What I think will probably happen though is that you'd spend $15,000 and only get $18,000 in resale due to the before pics and this is your first job, and it may not be perfect when done.

You posted on a forum with people that have a ton of skill and know how. You've had a couple of the experts that do this for a living tell you not to move forward.

In any other business, people pay consultants to give them advice on how to proceed with an endeavor. You just got a lot of advice for free.

If you want to do a trailer, find another one. Save what pieces you can off this one and sell them, recycle the aluminum and the frame. However, if you have a ton of money, and no need to work, and you want to spend countless hours on something that will not give you a return on your investment except experience, please take lots of pictures for us.

robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I think I would let that one pass, probably cheaper, faster, and easier, to build one from scratch.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Tonianne, being that you said you had already bought this, you have just paid for your first AS lesson, hopefully you didn't get taken for much. In the long run, you would be better served to chalk it up to the school of hard knocks. It will be such a daunting task to resurrect this mess that I'm afraid your 'stick to it ambition' will be long gone before your pockets can recover. Best bet for now is to part it out to try and recoup some of your money and look for a better beginner trailer.
This is one of those sad situations where you can pay now or pay later when the bills are much higher and your money much shorter. Sorry!
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
I understand your position, I have/will rebuild about anything. Sometimes beyond common since, just for the pleasure of doing it.The door/door frame, window frames, end cap segments are the most difficult to find or fab. Vent covers and body ribs are also gonna be tough. To make one and straighten one end cap segment on an English wheel took me 20+ hrs and I have some experience with the wheel. Parts are scarce for these old rigs. There is an up side. Some of your good parts are interchangeable with other years and models. If you can find a damaged one that needs your good stuff you'd be sittin pretty. Make one outta two.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #23
2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
I give an A+ for determination. Even if you get into the project, with or without a second donor trailer for parts, you will gain experience. If you decide middle of the stream to get off this horse, you have a parts trove you can sell, hopefully which will cover most of the expenses. As your efforts unfold, keep us posted.

For my part, I'd say get the other wreck, for parts you need, and for parts to sell which are duplicates. Given enough time and determination, you might just make this work for a not too big pile of money when all is said and done.
AIR 71620
WBCCI 5809 Reg 5 Unit 041
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I say go for it take the damaged portion off first then you will have the brace you will need in the remaining shell and frame connection. If you can get the end cap it will help but not a game changer if you don't. Try to avoid to much heat when working out the creases and dents but your body man will have to use some low heat to relax the aluminum. I am impressed by your motivation and your attitude, that said take it 1 step at a time like replacing cracked or broken trusses remove the load and work your way out. The inner skins will have to come out first then relieve the stress from the good side by taking off the compressed skins then the buckled skins. You can do this and it will not put you in the poor house IF you do most (except fixing the panels leave that to the body man) take lots of pictures because I really like the reconstruction thing. Made a totaled house and car combination come back to life spent 2k and won a steak dinner for doing it. Made more than I spent and the estimates were in the 30 k to it can't be done.
Gotta get busy! Have a great day! Now where did I put those revits?
RM66caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Oh yes forgot I am a stubborn hardheaded person and got really tired of being told that I could not or should not when I was young. Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member
1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Thanks so much. I'm compiling cost for everything upfront before I dive into it. This way I have a general sense on cost. I'm definitely listening to the advice of others but you are right, I will ultimately do what I see fit. I am very resourceful, time is not an issue nor is the money. The title is not a salvage title so I'm good there. I may very well keep this as a guest house if I decide to go thru with it. I'm learning more and more about things as I go and this forum has definitely helped. Thanks for the links.mi will definitely continue to update everyone as things progress. Cheers!
Tonianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member
1963 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Sounds like we are of like mind. I don't want to be ignorant about this venture that others clearly have more knowledge about then I. However, I'm a pretty resourceful determined gal. I have a couple of friends who restore airstreams here in town and I have visited with them already so I'm not completely blind to what's up. At this point my main concern is getting the compound curve pieces. I spoke to airparts inc and they carry all the other pieces specific for airstreams and they are only $160 for. 10' piece. Not bad since its only that one side that needs replaced and the belly pan. I'm taking it slow and gathering as much info as I can at this point before I start anything. I'm excited, if anything to learn something new. I will definitely post as things progress. Thanks for the encouragement.
Tonianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Is not a prob and if you have questions please feel free to ask! Someone on the forums will have the answer or an idea that may work. I know that you can do this and we will be looking forward to the pictures and will listen in the case of frustration.