Old 04-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Peyton , Colorado
Talking Just bought 34' 1990 Classic using this site

Thanks to you all for your invaluable assistance in locating & purchasing our 1st Airstream! I have looked at this site for months and found our new(old) Airstream here.

Sadly the pre-inspection done by the dealer in New Mexico BROKE several small parts - a crank handle for the rear vent and they failed to latch down the cover on the propane - and yes, it blew off coming down the road,

Insult to injury the gentleman who sold it to me had a tire blow - which took out the cover over the grey/blk water tanks

So I'm starting my 1st thread with a request for help: where & how do you find parts for these 'ole gals and how do you find someone to mentor you in the ins/outs of upkeep & maintenance of 'em?

I need help with:

- replacement gry/blk & the handles cover blown out by tire
- new propane tank cover top
- rear vent crank broken
- the faucet in the sink needs replacing (looks easy if we pull the sink - can we use a regular faucet found at lowes?)
- slightly rusted on the tow frame at front

many thanks

"D" Shannon

ps - just moved to Colorado Springs so any info on repair shops, dealers, etc greatly appreciated!

Old 04-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi, and welcome to the forums!
Someday, you will look back on this adventure, and think, "Wow! That was great!"
Today is not that day.
To answer your last question first:
For a lasting paint repair on the A-frame, you should wire brush off the loose rust, POR-15 the steel, and prime the tongue and paint it in your choice of silver, grey, or black paint.
Most faucets can be replaced with faucets from home improvement centers, provided they have the same dimensions for the pipes, so they can go through the same holes in the counter.
For the rear vent crank, if you have a regular standard factory installed vent, now would be a great time to consider installing a Fantastic Fan or Maxx-Air fan in its place.
For the other two items, a couple photos of what they are supposed to look like (or where they went) would be helpful to us so we can steer you in the right direction.
Good luck with your new purchase.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Peyton , Colorado
Thanks ... I'm taking notes Terry!

very gracious of you to reply so quickly

i'll print it out & start cranking tommorow! (if i can just stop staring at it long enough :>) )

now to figure out how to post pictures of damage & stuff

D
Old 04-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Welcome to the wonderful world of 34's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estatesavr
Insult to injury the gentleman who sold it to me had a tire blow - which took out the cover over the grey/blk water tanks
This is a shame that this happened, but while replacing the cover, you should pick up a couple of valve rebuild kits for the tanks. Check Colaw's RV Salvage for a replacement for it, as well as the propane tank cover. Why buy new if you can get "as good as" for less?

Welcome!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Not a bad day, but not exactly good either...

Congratulations on new trailer...

Advice above about Fantastic Fan or Maxx Vent is good, but cranks are available at Camping World or Airstream.. You should check Colorado Vintage Airstream chapter for info on service shops and dealers, as they've been there and done it, and probably have a closet full of the t-shirts...

I can confirm we replaced both lav and kitchen faucets with Home Depot single lever items, and very easy to do with threaded fittings.. You could now get "Pull-out" units for kitchen sink and be very elegant...

As challenging to work with as POR-15 is, it will absolutely solve rust issues. If rust is very slight, you might get by with cleaning thoroughly and spraying on several coats of Rustoleum silver paint instead, but pay particular attention to area of frame under batteries and battery doors, and if that starts rusting a bunch, reach for the POR-15 goop...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Peyton , Colorado
Thanks all - ordered POR-15 kit this am and taking notes ya'll all have to offer - will keep ya'll posted

"D"
Old 04-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
"D"

I don't know if your 1990 vents are like my 1992, but if they are they are a common problem and the breakage may not be the dealer's fault. My handles didn't break but the gears stripped and I've not been able to find repairs. My AS dealer gave me a salvage unit to cannibalize, but the gears were stripped in it as well. Right now my front vent is wired shut and is inoperative while the galley vent is being used very gingerly! I've been holding off on replacements (because I'm cheap) but I guess it is about time to do the job. if the handle is all you need I think I still have my old one. I'm on a short trip to North Idaho for a few days but I can check when I get home. Let me know if you still need one.

Gene
Old 04-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Peyton , Colorado
Thanks Gene

I'll follow the advice & invest in new vents but I greatly appreciate the offer on the vent handle!

"D" Shannon
Old 04-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Peyton , Colorado
Thumbs up Re-read my original post and wanted to add

I just read my original post and did NOT do enough to give positive credit to the fellow i bought the Excella from - Jesse Pritchard gave me a $2,000 credit for all the problems, took the tire & wheel back to New Mexico to get it fixed under warranty where he bought it (his Brother will bring it back up when he visits his daughter in the next few weeks)

AND Jesse asked that we put in writing that any major systems that go bad in the next 12 months are on his 'tab'

all in all not a bad deal and I feel an amazingly honest & reputable seller in Jesse!

So KUDOS to Jesse and all of you who have so graciusly welcomed me to the world of Airstreams!

"D" Shannon
Old 04-25-2006, 01:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Wow!

"D"

I'll say that a big 'pat of the back' is in order if "jesse" lives up to the deal you seemingly have.... Plenty of folks, here and elsewhere, wish they had a seller/ dealer that seemed as straight up as what you have stumbled into.....

Hope that all plays out as advertised, and that you have a terrific unit that "fills all your AS wishes and caviar dreams" - old Robin Leach 'reference' for those that recognize it!

Anyway, "D" - enjoy that unit! Hope to meet out out there somewhere!

Axel
Old 04-28-2006, 12:05 AM   #11
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
To the gentleman with the stripped vent crank. I had the same problem.
What I did was take the crank mechanism off turn it 180 degrees from the original position and reinstalled it . It works very well . Try it this way,it sure beats wiring it shut.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Peyton , Colorado
again, thanks all for the offer of advice (much needed) and crank mechanisms (we're going to invest in maxx vents)

see ya'll out there!

"D"
Old 05-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, congratulations on your first Airstream!!!

Secondly, welcome to Colordao, hope to meet you at a rally someday...we are starting up iour rally season in a couple of weeks: www.wbcci-denco.org Rallies are great opportunities to meet some mentors, especially the May Maintenance Rally which is coming up in ten days or so, May 19th to be exact. It's a great one to "come as you are" to as everybody is just de-winterizing and getting to know their rigs again. We usually have about 40 trailers/MO show up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by estatesavr
ps - just moved to Colorado Springs so any info on repair shops, dealers, etc greatly appreciated!
You are in luck, Intermountian Coach is GREAT and they are right in your backyard! They are relatively new to the Airstream community but have been a WONDERFUL asset to the Airstream community in Colorado! Several members have purchased new trailers & serviced their older ones through them and I've heard only good comments...

Check them out: http://www.coloradoairstream.com/

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote