Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Little Beckford , Gloucestershire
Just a quick introduction....

Hi all,

My name is Ian, and, despite not owning an Airstream, I do currently contract myself, full time, to an Airstream restoration company here in the UK. My work mainly focuses on the exterior of the work, although I am involved throughout all the stages of the restoration work we do. My work mainly revolves around 1950's trailers, although I am currently polishing a 60's one.
My main task is, as I said, a focus on the exterior, with a specific focus on polishing. I have fully polished about 10 vans, from Bambis to Overlanders and Sovereigns. We also polish the inside end caps sometimes (depending on the clients wishes, which I can say looks fantastic) I also work on the windows, doors and exterior fittings, restoring windows, polishing both sides of the doors, replacing glass, and the removal and addition of various parts, including panels... I have therefore collected a large amount of experience working all around the van, and I am more than happy to help anyone with an queries or issues that come up whilst you are restoring your own trailers.

Good to be here!

Ian

P.S. I do have twitter, and although I don't say much, and most of what I do say is rubbish; feel free to follow me! (@IanWVH)

Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Wecome to the forum, Ian. I'm sure your experience working on Airstreams will be an asset to the rest of us here.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #3

1972 23' Safari
Prineville , Oregon
New Member w/72 Safari

Hi Ian...I'm also a new member (today) and recently bought a 72 Safari a little over a week ago. It is in need of a little TLC. One of which is the roof vents need to be recaulked, however I am not sure how to get up there to do the job. Will the roof of the A/S support a mans' weight? I would hate to cause any damage. Also, the windows and door could use new weather stripping....do you know where replacement weatherstripping is available in the U.S. Is it difficult to replace? My rear window also has a broken part....not sure what to call it...but it is a whitish colored plastic bracket that the window support rod rests in...one on each side of the window. The bottom tab is broken off one side, so I would like to replace it if I can find a replacement. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Little Beckford , Gloucestershire
With regards to getting on top of an Airstream, it is much easier to do with a scaffolding platform, large enough that you just need to step across onto the van, however it can be done on a tall enough ladder. I'm going on 12.5 stone (UK), and it will happily support my weight, as long as you make sure to only step on the ribs (follow the rivet lines on the skin). I'm afraid i don't know where to source the weather stripping, and i'm not used to 1970's models, however I'm sure Ebay, and the rest of this forum could help you, and with regards to finding specific bits, I'm sure again that Ebay would be able to help you, as many Airstreams that are damaged beyond repair are turned into parts, and window winders etc can fetch a good price so people tend not to scrap all the van. Unfortunately that is all I'm able to help you with there I'm afraid.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Just a quick introduction....

Greetings gconn!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconn View Post
...recently bought a 72 Safari a little over a week ago. It is in need of a little TLC. One of which is the roof vents need to be recaulked, however I am not sure how to get up there to do the job. Will the roof of the A/S support a mans' weight? I would hate to cause any damage.
The general answer is, yes, the roof can support a man's weight so long as you step only on the ribs (look for the rivet lines going diagonally across the roof). It is also generally recommended that you apply padding wrap around your ladder and access the roof by placing the ladder against the awning roll. Tennis shoes are often recommended for both traction and lmiting the potential for skin damage from shoes.

Quote:
Also, the windows and door could use new weather stripping....do you know where replacement weatherstripping is available in the U.S. Is it difficult to replace?
Window gaskets and seals tend to be readily available for 1970s era Airstreams. Parts stocking Airstream dealers and Authorized Service Centers should be able to order what you need. Web sources for such parts include, but are not limited to:***Airstream doesn't sell parts direct to customers, but they do offer maintenance supplies and some other necessities via their on-line store.

Quote:
My rear window also has a broken part....not sure what to call it...but it is a whitish colored plastic bracket that the window support rod rests in...one on each side of the window. The bottom tab is broken off one side, so I would like to replace it if I can find a replacement. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.
The three position window support mechanism is available through Airstream dealers and the link above will take you to the page with the item in the Out of Doors Mart on-line catalog. The new parts are made in a black material rather than the white, but will operate in the same manner as the original. When I replaced mine in the Argosy, I replaced them in window pairs to insure that the devices would properly align.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote