Old 12-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Jumping off the cliff

Hello, I just joined this forum, my handle is Reganzo. My wife 8 years ago had an hemmoraghic stroke, as a result of a rare blood disease called TTP. I quit my job to take care of her, after she was in hospitals, rehabilitation centers for 7 months.

To make a long story short, she has recovered enough that we rented a 27 foot motor coach this past September, and toured the coast of Maine for 7 days. During this trip she handled all the trip threw at her, and she came alive. At one of the camp grounds a couple pulled in with a 34 foot airstream. I was lucky enough to take a tour and I fell in love. When we got back home we made the decision to sell our condo and take some of the money and buy an airstream and take an extended trip accross this wonderful country. Well looking in a local newspaper I found a 1988 limited airstream for sale. Turns out I knew the guy selling it and He and I worked out a deal. The trailer is in wonderful condition, and with a little TLC will be a wonderful home for my wife and me. Our plans are to be on the road by June, and we will let our wanderlust loose. I will be looking for advice and pointers from you all.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Right Now I just want to welcome you to the AirForums. There will be plenty of time for people here to help you with specifics and knowledge about full timing on the road. There is alot of information in the archives - you can start with the search feature above on the blue bar. Can't find an answer - post it and there will be someone out there to assist.

Bless you and your wife - I hope there will be many miles of happy trails ahead for you. Plan some stops at AirForum Rallys all over the US - meet some of us - we would like to meet you.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
What a great story of what the human spirit can do. Your wife is blessed to have you and the two of you seem to have found a common ground in the love of traveling and Airstreams. I know my husband and I have become close in our love of getting away in our trailers. My husband never owned a trailer before we married 4 years ago. Now we have two that give us such pleasure. Of course he never owned a pet before we got married, now he is owned by 6 cats and 4 dogs. He loves it. I think he is more attached to them then I am some times. By the way, if you don't already have a little hairy creature to go with you in the Airstream, having one may help your wife in untold ways. Get two small ones that love to be petted and are real lap dogs. Nothing high energy. Something like a Pom or Lasha that likes to sit around on your lap.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up God's Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
By the way, if you don't already have a little hairy creature to go with you in the Airstream, having one may help your wife in untold ways. Get two small ones that love to be petted and are real lap dogs. Nothing high energy. Something like a Pom or Lasha that likes to sit around on your lap.
WELCOME TO WALLYWORLD....

10-4 ON THE LITTLE HAIRY CREATURES....

God bless and good luck in your new adventure....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welceome to the forums...what a lovely story...good for you! You are going to have a really good time...

Maybe we'll see you down the road in your travels...

TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Reganzo

When you mention your wife "came alive" it reminded me of other stories I've heard with similar results. Friends of my brothers had a traumatic health experience with the wife having major problems.

Like you, they went camping, but they had been campers for years, just had slowed down. It was so invigorating for her (and for him as well - he'd been under intense stress through all of this as well), that they sold their home, bought a larger trailer and truck, and live full time on the road. In the summer they host at a small government campground and through that have a large extended family. As you will learn, campgrounds can become wonderful small communities with old and new friends close at hand.

In the winter they travel through out the southern States, at a slow and easy pace, seeing the things they'd always wanted to and never taken the time.

So welcome, perhaps our paths will cross some day.
Barry
Old 12-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We are glad to have you with us.

You've found the right place for the best Airstream information. This group will answer any question that you might have. Just ask away.

You're going to have a great time on your trip. There are a lot of great places to see and a lot of great people to meet out there.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Welcome to the FORUMS. I am glad that your wife is doing better. I know from personal experience, that a BAD day camping is better than a GOOD day at the old 9 to 5.<G>
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
I want to thank all who posted replies. I am learning to navigate the site, so if by chance I miss replying to you all please accept my apologies. Yesterday 12/4/07 I purchased my tow vehicle, a 2008 F-350 power stroke diesel with more bells and whistles than I deserve. So now I am ready to begin getting the Limited ready for take off. I am removing the sofa/couch to make room for my wifes recliner. Is there a place to offer this and other parts I will be taking out? Reganzo
Old 12-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganzo
I am removing the sofa/couch to make room for my wifes recliner. Is there a place to offer this and other parts I will be taking out? Reganzo
e-bay.

And welcome to the forums!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
...also the classified section here on the forums.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Reganzo
Welcome! You learn very fast my friend. First an AS and then an approiate Tow vech. There is so much knowledge here its unbeleivable. Just ask any question, the experienced people are here for you and the ONLY STUPID Question is the One U DONT ASK.
Just enjoy life, we are here but for a short time.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Smile thanks

Thank you all for your kind words. I am still learning to navigate the web site so if I miss replying to annyone I apologize now. I purchased my tow vehicle yesterday, an F-350 diesel with more bells and whistles than I deserve.

So now I can get started refurbishing our Limited. I plan on removing the sofa/couch to make room for my wifes lifting chair. The bedroom is a twin bed set up, and I plan on switching to a queen bed as well. Is there some place I could list what I plan on replacing, in case anyone would be interested to buy or swap???

My wife and I look forward to hearing from you all...

Reganzo
Old 12-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Reganzo
Welcome! You learn very fast my friend. First an AS and then an approiate Tow vech. There is so much knowledge here its unbeleivable. Just ask any question, experienced people are here for you and the ONLY STUPID Question is the ONE U DONT ASK.
Just enjoy life, we are here but for a short time.