Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Jumping off the cliff? Nah....

...more like Jumping in the Pool. Come on in - the water's fine!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #16
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back

Oh my, good for you, don't let anything stop you!

I need a hankie, this is such a sweet story, I hope that you have many wonderful exciting travels ahead full of happiness!!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Jumping off the cliff and am I glad we are!!!

I have been busy since I posted my original message. Since then I have been busy working on the AS, getting my condo ready to sell, and taking care of my wife.

The Limited has turned out to be more of a project than first anticipated. It ad a twin bed set up and my wife and I felt strongly that we want to snuggle together. So I removed the twins, and when I did I was shocked to find that the floor around the outside of the curves was rotted and there were two holes. After my panic attack, I got help from a good friend and we managed to replace the rotted parts with marine plywood. Then I decided to replace the hot water heater with a tankless model. When I removed the old heater, surprise it had been leaking and the floor under it was rotted too. More panic, more marine plywood, and all is well. We are ready to build the "queen" bed platform at last.

I have become a forums junkie, and Iwant to thank all who post their experiences, and great ideas. I don't think I would be as brave without all this great free help! Looking forward to getting on the road and meeting some of the authors of this interesting site.

Regards,

Reganzo
Old 01-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Best wishes, Reganzo, with all your "surprises" and solutions. It sounds like you are a fellow who can handle what life tosses you, a natural Airstreamer! Once you and your wife get on the road this summer, please keep us posted with a thread about your travels and adventures. That way, if you are traveling along any of our locations or forum rally paths, you can stop by and pause for a little 'streaming campfire chat! You'll find that quite a few forum members offer overnighting for our traveling Airforums friends. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Amazing story and courage

You are one heck of a guy! I am truly touched by your loyalty and courage to move forward. You now have an even bigger family watching out for you and your wife, no matter where you go, one of us will be near.

Enjoy America,

John
Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #20
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
See the USA

Hit the highway and stay in touch.
Post photos for us too.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Reganzo..Congrats on your continued progress and your continued commitment and strength of will...you were born to Airstream!

Do keep us all informed of your progress and when you do finally hit the road, make sure you keep us informed as to where you are and where you're going...pehaps some of us will have the pleasure of meeitng up with you at some point or helping you find a good campground along your path...

Ease on down the road...
TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Many thanks for all the kind words. One thing my wife's stroke has taught me is that you just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other, and keep going forward. That said here is the latest skinny on my repairs.

I decided to get rid of the pergo floor that a PO had installed, and I am glad I did. Underneath the pergo by the dinette the battery compartment had been leaking and the floor had a combo of wetness and battery acid leaching out towards the rest of the floor. So I removed the dinette,the cabinet and what I will call the credenza that ran along the wall towards the area formerly occupied by the sofa couch. Alas, I found more wet floor! Fortunately, it is only in a couple of spots along the inside skin. The wood is wet but not rotted! I removed the dinette and in front of the wheel well the floor is rotted in about a six inch square. It looks like the wheel well need to be re-caulked. I then went exploring and checked the wheel well on the other side underneath the sink, and thank goodness it appears high and dry! I found a thread on leaks that mentioned a test by Sealtech. I went on their site and found an rv dealer near me that does the test, and it was on sale. I am scheduled next thursday. I want to figure out the leaks before I begin to rebuild. The only issue is the cold today was only 18 degrees where I live, kind of hard to caulk... Well that's all for now...

Regards,

Reganzo
Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
we jumped

It has been a while since I first introduced myself, and I have been busy working on my 88 Limited. At the same time I have been working hard to sell my condo so my wife and me can hit the road.

Well, the condo is under contract and the 88 is just about ready, and my wife and I are getting underway on October 10, 2008 to head south. My wife had a stroke 8 years ago, and our lives were over, but by the grace of God she has recovered more than I had ever imagined. Our situation wouldn't allow us to keep our condo and travel the country in our Airstream, so we decided to sell the condo and take a year to travel this wonderful country.

Virginia Beach is our first destination, and we plan on working our way down the coast into Florida to explore and keep warm. Our plans are very flexable, and we are taking our time. I'd like to thank the members of this forum for sharing their advice and tales of adventure that have kept me going these many months. I do look forward to possibly crossing paths with other Airstreamers in the coming months.

Regards,

Reganzo
Old 09-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Virginia Beach VA

WELCOME - you've picked the best time of the year to come to the beach. First you can actually see the beach, and second the weather is nice but not nearly as hot, humid and sticky as it is in the winter. Where are you planning to stay when you come here? Keep us posted. I live in the Beach, and perhaps we can have a 2 stream "rally".

Paula Ford
Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 AM   #25
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
When you get to Florida, there are many RV parks you can spend the winter in, basically almost anywhere South of Jacksonville is good...
The place we're in is very nice, fairly close to everything on the West coast of Florida, and most everyone is friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately, we will be gone by the time you get here, but I'm sure they would love to have you stay:
Welcome To Quail Run RV Park
Remember, it's the quality, not the quantity, of your life.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Reganzo,
Glad to hear you have everything under control. Don't forget that some of the nice folks on the forum offer courtesy parking. So if you find yourself in need of a "safe harbor" just look in the forum directory for folks in the area that offer courtesy parking and get in contact with them. If you can't locate anybody, put a shout out on the forum. You will be surprised at the responses you get. Also look for Airstream parks. Matter of fact there is one in your home state; Jersey Shore Airstream Haven. There is one in Virginia, though it probably is not along your inteneded path of travel; Virginia Highland Haven. There are also a few in Florida. Their rates are usually less expensive than commercial parks and are very nice. WBCCI membership may be required at some of them. I do not know if you are a member, if you are not and you want to try an Airstream park I would suggest giving them a call in advance or check their web sitess to see what their requirements are.

Good luck and God's speed to you on your adventure.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
WBCCI membership may be required at some of them. I do not know if you are a member, if you are not and you want to try an Airstream park I would suggest giving them a call in advance or check their web sitess to see what their requirements are.
I have seen rate schedules for a couple of them online (and of course can't find them now). They go something like:
1-Non-Airstream, non-WBCCI: $40/night ("any port in a storm" rate)
2-Airstream, non-WBCCI rate: $20/night
3-Airstream, WBCCI member rate: $10/ night.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganzo View Post
Virginia Beach is our first destination, and we plan on working our way down the coast into Florida to explore and keep warm. Our plans are very flexable, and we are taking our time. I'd like to thank the members of this forum for sharing their advice and tales of adventure that have kept me going these many months. I do look forward to possibly crossing paths with other Airstreamers in the coming months.

Regards,

Reganzo
Please let me add my welcome and congratulations on moving on.

If you are able to manipulate your own schedule, there is a Forums Rally (The 2009 Can Opener) in the pan-handle (Destin area) of Florida January 9-11th.

Here is the Forum thread with more reading than most "mere mortals" can attempt: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...9-a-44317.html

The Can Opener was started as the first Rally of the year on the first full weekend, but because the holiday is so close to the first weekend, many voted to move it out one week. There is another Rally started for that park during the year-end weekend also, but we cannot make it then. Here is the link for that thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ail-44493.html

I suggest that you look at the Rally Calendar (http://www.airforums.com/forums/calendar.php) to see what other Rallys are coming up and compare them to where you will be (or can be). Rallys are lots of fun, very educational, and each Rally-attender can be as involved or not as desired.

Have fun and keep enjoying life.

Phil

'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote