Old 03-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I went from buying a large tent on eBay, camping for 2 weekends in it, to buying a brand new 25' CCD.....

I did alot of research, found what suited my family, and went for it.

To be sure, when we finally made the 500 mile trip to the dealership to sign the paperwork and finalize the sale, we were a bag of nerves, wondering if we'd done the right thing, would we regret it, etc.....

I can safely say that I have not had a single regret. Initially, I *really* wanted the 28', but it was out of my budget, so we went for the 25'. We didn't settle, but in the back of my mind I really much preferred the bedroom and bathroom layout of the 28'.

Fast-forward 3 years, and we did the switch, and I'm ecstatic. Every time I walk past the trailer I think "I love my Airstream".

I'm sure you can find something that can accommodate your height requirements and budget considerations. There are plenty of friendly people on the forums that can help if needed.

Good luck!

[SIZE=1]Michelle & family
[COLOR=Blue] 2005 28' International CCD
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1949 18' Trailwind
Huntsville , Alabama
We are just north of you in Huntsville, Al. We picked up our airstream on craigslist a couple years ago for a steal so keep checking there. We got a vintage 49 and it has been such a great project for the wife and I. We study up here on the forums and try to make improvements when the $$$ is available. We are on the extended 5 to 10 year plan. We are in no rush to rush through any repairs. Just yesterday, as it was nice and sunny in Alabama, we sat inside the trailer and had our morning coffee and tea with Hank Sr playing in the the driveway no less. YES!
Good luck on your journey,

Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Originally Posted by AUstreamer View Post
Hi all! I am 41, wife is 43, I've never been anything but tent camping when I was a kid, and not a whole lot of that. I've never camped from a travel trailer, but have often admired them from a distance.

A funny thing happened to me, though.. The closer I got to 40, the more I wanted a travel trailer. I'm an avid motorcyclist and have really enjoyed travelling on my Victory Vision, but the trailer bug was crawling on my skin. Today, I went to Anniston and put my hands on my first Airstream. The first one I ever walked into in my life was a Bambi. It took about 5 seconds for me to fall in love. Not particularly with the Bambi (I'm 6'3") but with Airstream.

I have often seen them and had always known they were a little pricey, but now to lay my hands on one, I can tell what an investment it is, and what a GOOD investment it is.

I cannot afford to buy right now, but I'm looking at a timeframe of about 2 years or so. I can't help but wonder if buying an Airstream for your first travel trailer is the smartest thing to do, so here is MY take on it.

1) Return on investment - if I decide it's not for me, I would come a lot closer to getting my money back from an Airstream than anything else out there.

2) If we like it, we're set...

3) Build quality is excellent - I have looked at a TON of travel trailers, and by far, Airstream is the highest quality I have seen to date.

4) Lightweight - don't have to have a monster truck to pull it.

5) Instant COOL... the second you drive down the road with one of these in tow, you instantly become cool to anyone who knows anything about RVs.

It'll take me a little while to get in position, but I'll jump when the time is right.
Welcome to the Forums!

I know exactly how you feel, as the exact same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I conducted a fairly lengthy Search, with a lot of misses and finally one hit, in order to find my trailer. I don't know if you're thinking about buying a new unit, a vintage unit, or somewhere in between, but this is definitely the best place to be in order to figure out exactly what you want, before you buy.

And I don't think it's such a bad idea to rent an RV for a weekend, to make sure it's something you really do enjoy doing. I didn't do that, of course, but hey, it's still a pretty good idea.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the Airstream that's perfect for you.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote