Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Joining the ranks of the Silver Set

Howdy All,

Thanks so much for being here!! You all have inspired and encouraged us as we began our search for our “to-go” home. I’ve had very few questions that, following some searching here, have gone unanswered.

Last year on the way home from church camp, DW informed me that we would no longer be staying in the accommodations provided by the church; from now on, we’ll bring our own home quarters. My first response was that we would need to find a classic AS. I wasn’t willing to pay for something that would immediately begin falling apart. I’m allergic to depreciation. A classic AS will provide us with solid value. But the first step was to find a suitable TV. Following exhaustive research and bargain hunting, we settled on a 2008 Toyota Sequoia with a beastly 5.7L engine.

The hunt for a trailer took an unexpected turn. When I discovered Avion basement models, I was completely hooked. The only problem is that there simply aren’t any of them around. After fruitless hunting, we set aside our hopes, and went shopping for a small used disposable white box we could use while waiting for the right “real” trailer to come along. The deadline for church camp was rapidly approaching, and I was getting desperate enough to buy just about anything. We knew we were hitting the bottom when we started visiting RV storage lots to look for For Sale signs. But that’s how it happened… The office staff offered to take us around back to view a Keystone that was available. It was on the walk across the yard that I saw the Avion. My jaw dropped. I asked permission to go view it instead. I circled it a few times just to take it all in; amazed to actually see one in person. When the woman saw how badly I wanted to see it, she offered to call the owner to see if they were interested in selling. Long story short: They had recently decided it was time to sell. Within the week we agreed on a price, and shortly we had our “brand new” classic 1989 Avion 34vb!

That was last week.

Over the holiday weekend we took a shakedown trip to a nearby state park where it poured! Coldest July 2, 3, 4 that I ever remember! But we were snug in our new home!

We plan to take it back out this weekend for one night. Then two weeks later it will be time to hitch up the horses for the 700 mile trip to church camp.
Alluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome, and congratulations on your new baby.

May you have many happy miles.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Great story with great memories to come.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote