Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Newbie!!!

1980 22' Caravelle
Cookeville , Tennessee
Joined the cult today!!

Hi everyone... just became the proud owner of a 1980 Caravelle 22' Double. It is going to need a whole interior overhaul, but the frame is sound. I cant wait to get started on it. I have to wait to next spring to bring it down from the U.P. of Michigan to it's new home in Tennessee. I am looking forward to learn all I can about this American Classic and to become one of you all!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0296.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	139320  
syrinxjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey there - welcome to the forums! btw - you're an owner and a member... So, too late!!! You are one of us!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Welcome to the aluminum side of the force. You are among friends here.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Joined the cult today!!

Greetings syrinxjeff!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrinxjeff View Post
Hi everyone... just became the proud owner of a 1980 Caravelle 22' Double. It is going to need a whole interior overhaul, but the frame is sound. I cant wait to get started on it. I have to wait to next spring to bring it down from the U.P. of Michigan to it's new home in Tennessee. I am looking forward to learn all I can about this American Classic and to become one of you all!!!
You have one of the more unusual 1980s Airstreams. The Caravelle series was something like the Minuet series in the Argosy line.
  • Minuet 6.0 Metre corresponded to Caravelle 20'
    • Both coaches were single axle
  • Minuet 6.7 Metre corresponded to Caravelle 22'
    • Minuet was single axle while Caravelle was tandem
  • Minuet 7.3 Metre corresponded to Caravelle 24'
    • Both coaches were tandem axle
There was speculation prior to the unearthing of documents that have since been posted to Airstream's website that there was likely a very close connection between the Minuet and Caravelle series and there is strong evidence that such probably is the case.
  • There was sales literature published indicating that a 1980 Argosy was planned with particular emphasis on the Minuet (half or more of model line).
  • Owners and service manuals have also surfaced that designate 1980 Argosy and Minuet adding more intrigue to the situation.
  • The basic dimensions of the coaches including the reduced width made comparisons quite frequent . . . and a late decision to discontinue the Argosy may have left contracts in place for chassis or other components that Airstream needed to utilize to build the narrower coaches.
So far as I have heard, none of the Caravelles had composite aluminum floors nor did they utilize the panoramic windows. Thus far all links are specualtion, but it has been an interesting puzzle to learn about.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrinxjeff
... and to become one of you all!!!
We're glad to have you with us and congratulations on the Caravelle. As Kevin indicates, you have a desirable model.

I'm sure it'll seem like a long Winter's wait until next Spring. You'll find plenty of archival material here to keep you occupied while Fall and Winter pass. Hopefully you can use the time to formulate your Reno/Resto plans.

So how did you come to own this rig?

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrinxjeff View Post
Congratulations on your new baby. Tammy of Silver Threads helped us so much with the interior of our first vintage Airstream. Made beautiful new drapes - exactly to our specifications. She and John have owned (and restored) multiple Airstreams and they live there in Tennessee.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
Newbie!!!

1980 22' Caravelle
Cookeville , Tennessee
Wow Kevin!! Thanks for the information regarding this trailer... I am very new to all of this, and you have opened the door indeed to learn about all I can!!! http://www.airforums.com/forums/imag...es/biggrin.gif
Old 09-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Newbie!!!

1980 22' Caravelle
Cookeville , Tennessee
Thanks Kevin. I will spend the winter planning my attack of this cool rig! There is a ton of work to be done as soon as I get it to TN. My Step-Dad gave this to me. He purchased it in 1980 new from a dealer in SE Michigan. After the purchase, he transported it out to Vegas where he used is as a residence when he visited the area. He finally brought it back to MI a few years ago to rest in the Upper Peninsula. He asked if I wanted it, and without hesitation, I said HECK YEA!!! History has yet to be made on this one!!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Definiton of cult below. you actually made my skin crawl, so Here is the definition of a cult:

cult

   [kuhlt] Show IPA
noun 1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3. the object of such devotion.

4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

It's not like we sit around a fire and obsess over an object while sipping mind altering liquids, with like desires and obsessions, can think of not much else, worship aluminum........oh wait....crap.....ARE WE A CULT?????????
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome to the club and welcome to AIRFORUMS. This site is an invaluable resource to tap into during your restoration.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote