Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
I've apparently got a lot to learn...

So my wife & I have been "bitten" by the Airstream bug. Now that the boys are both out of the house and involved in their lives, we're seriously considering doing some serious downsizing. We've found a model we like ('34 front kitchen) so while we save our pennies and search for that "just right" trailer, I have this wonderful bounty of information here on airforms.com to pilfer through. Hopefully I can get it all read in time! There is some SERIOUS info here! Which is good this will be our first trailer and we have a lot to learn.
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Welcome!

Enjoy the learning experience.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums...you're in the best place for all things Airstream. Enjoy your quest!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome truxpin,

We're glad to have you with us. Good luck with your search. Yes there is a ton of information here, and a wealth of member knowledge. Feel free to post questions should you find yourself unable to sort through it all.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My two cents -- buy a trailer that is more or less ready to camp. Then go camping and have fun, fixing things you need first, adding things you want later.

Lots of folks buy a "project trailer" and just run out of cash, interest or time before they have had a chance to use the thing. You'll see a lot of gutted trailers advertised.

My trailer is okay appearance-wise but everything works, it is water-tight and, best of all, it is paid for. We have dragged it some 45000 miles or so and had a ball.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The SEARCH function is very good. I click on Advanced Search a lot.

Then you just enter something like "front kitchen" in your search parameter. Narrow or broaden your search based on the results you get.
There are also tag searches if you like - very handy when you add the tags.

I do seem to remember one caution about the 34 front kitchen - it's light on the ball - and early ones had stability problems. I think there was some kind of fix by Airstream - like adding a block of weight - or perhaps an extra white tank that should be full when traveling.

The good news is that the tri-axles tend to be pretty good bargains for second owners. They are often the "last RV" for senior buyers - and health or mortality put them on the market at seriously discounted prices compared to the little ones. Also they aren't something you take out casually on a weekend so they often are lightly used - 2 or 3 destinations a year or parked at an Airstream only resort.

Happy hunting.

Paula
Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
"Paid for" Sage advice! This way you can have the bucks for a "project" paid for with each improvement. Develop into an asset with assets in place. Our's is the same. We will continue to develop our asset while having fun traveling. That was the original purpose of the purchase after all...
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f281...hen-80242.html

front kitchen thread
Old 08-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks to all for the greetings! The info on the search button will be especially useful. We're deifinatley going for the "paid for" trailer, while those new trailers are pretty attractive but, when I said downsize I meant it. Mortgage payment included! Unless we really find something we cant refuse, it's a 2 year plan till purchase. I figure that should give me time to save, research, prepare and address the career. ( yup, still gotta do that 9-5 thing) I work for CCR ( largest Coca-Cola bottler) but the area we'd like to relocate to (northern AZ )isn't served by my bottler. There's also this little house I have hanging over my head and in this market I'm almost afraid to think about the likely fiasco of selling it, but that certainly needs to happen also.
So in short I need to get a few things in order before we jump ship, hense the 2 year plan. Come-on Karma, it's time for a little payback!
Thanks again & I'll be faithfully reading as much as I can absorb, Todd.
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by truxpin View Post
...So in short I need to get a few things in order before we jump ship, hense the 2 year plan. Come-on Karma, it's time for a little payback!
Thanks again & I'll be faithfully reading as much as I can absorb, Todd.
A two year plan is good. But there is an alternative view. (Your mileage may differ, this is submitted just as a thinking point. I gave this same advice out in 2009, and the real estate values between 2009 and 2012 in Florida?)

So if you sold your house today you'd probably take a bath, and get your finance company on the hook for a short sale, which would hurt your credit rating a bit too.

BUT... let's suppose for comparison purposes that your current mortgage is $2000 per month. In the next 2 years you will pay a whopping $48,000. Now how much would the value of the house have to increase for you to get dime one out of what you put in over the next two years? If the value of the house increases by $48,000 will you still be under water? What if the value of the house recovers only $5,000 or stays the same as it is today?

You've got to live somewhere. You've got to pay something to live somewhere. If you sold the house short today, after getting approval for a NEW Airstream, then lived in it where you ARE, and paid $2000 per month on the Airstream... would you be better off than paying for the house or the Airstream?

If your mortgage is closer to $3000? It's an outlay of $72K and you can get a new tri-axle 34 for $_____________ You're also going to pay at least $600 per month for an RV lot... maybe more but still... OH SNAP!

Run Forrest, Run!

If you do a short sale tomorrow, in two years you're credit will already be making a strong comeback... If you do a short sale in two years... your credit will just have hit the crapper.

Be influenced by your actual local market! Some markets are getting stronger (Washington DC area, NYC, Beverly Hills).

Paula
Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by truxpin View Post
I figure that should give me time to save, research, prepare and address the career. ( yup, still gotta do that 9-5 thing)
Don't let working for a living slow you down. I work for a living too, so most of my camping is around Federal holidays. If all goes well, I'll have about 65 days of camping in my Airstream this year, and that's not even counting the days I spend puttering around in it at home or getting it ready for trips. That may not be much compared to the time a retiree could spend in their Airstream, but it's certainly good training for my eventual retirement!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Andover , Kansas
Truxpin - We're just up the road from you in Andover. You are welcome to come by sometime and take a good look at our '83 Sov 31' . I can tell you all about it: inside and out, under and over. I've done quite a bit of 'renovation' and repair to it! Might help you learn more about Airstreams and how to shop for them. Feel free to send PM for specific contact info. John.
Alsupp is offline   Reply With Quote