Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #1

1953 17' Clipper
1969 18' Caravel
Merlin , Oregon
is it called an addiction or collection?

Hello, My name is Rose and I think I may be an Airstream Addict.
It all sort of just snuck up on me and started with an innocent purchase of a "neat little old trailer" we found that was low enough to the ground for Clyde (our 170 lb Mastiff with joint problems) to get into. There is a built-in/recessed step at the doorway and our dog was able to get in easily with the help of a short platform step we built.
So, our 1953, 17' Clipper needed work, and I started reading all sorts of Airstream info on the internet (mostly this Forum) and found that I really enjoyed working on or "playing" with my Airstream.
Well, now just a year or so later, our beloved dog is gone and I've filled the void with 2 more Airstreams. My husband doesn't say anything about my collection because I've convinced him it's all part of the grieving process after the loss of our precious Clyde.
I finally decided to register so I could search and post. I'm so glad to have found the Airstream Forum. It's kind of a relief to know I'm not the only one with a thing for Airstreams. The Forum is so helpful because each of my Airstreams are different and have unique personalities and quirks (problems) to be figured out. I may even get brave enough to post a question or reply about something I might be able to comment on.
Rose
1953 Clipper, 1968 Globetrotter, 1969 Caravel
and Martha, the wonderful tow vehicle- 1974 International Travelall

* Actually, there is a question that I just don't seem to comprehend - My husband has asked me which one I'm keeping??
robnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnrose

* Actually, there is a question that I just don't seem to comprehend - My husband has asked me which one I'm keeping??
I have also been asked that question, and I usually employ one of the following tactics:
  • Create a diversion - usually, the cat is doing something REALLY interesting that must be observed right away.
  • Pour a drink - nothing changes the subject like announcing that it's martini time!
  • Hug the Airstreams - demonstrate the strong emotional bond between you and the Airstream. This will leave the questioner vaguely confused and frightened.
  • Announce that it might be a good idea to shop for additional tow vehicles so each trailer has its own. If your husband doesn't share your Airstream fever, maybe he likes cars better?
Good luck to you and welcome!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Dear Airstream Addict

Men can usually be distracted with offers of beer, food, or sex.

Of course you risk increasing the frequency of the question if it is always followed by a reward. Perhaps if you had beer, food, or sex in a different Airstream each time he asks the question; then he would develop an affinity for Airstreams as well. It's certainly worth a try.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
is it called an addiction or collection?
yes.
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
My husband and I both share the same addiction (we own 3 Airstreams) and we get asked that same question all the time by other non-Airstream and (believe it or not) Airstream people all the time. I don't want to be rude and say if you have to ask then you just won't understand, so I just use the excuse that they are in various stages of restoration and we don't know what we plan on doing yet (which is the truth).

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Works for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Men can usually be distracted with offers of beer, food, or sex.....
What klevan said....

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
What Kleven said but not necessarily in that particular order.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Men can usually be distracted with offers of beer, food, or sex.

Of course you risk increasing the frequency of the question if it is always followed by a reward. Perhaps if you had beer, food, or sex in a different Airstream each time he asks the question; then he would develop an affinity for Airstreams as well. It's certainly worth a try.
I've used clicker training successfully on both my cat and dog (both males, btw) using a reward of food. Over time, I weaned them off the need to receive a tangible reward (i.e., food) and now just give praise. From what I've read on clicker training, this type of training works on other mammals too.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
I have found opposite.

Opposite from klevan's response. Like a reward system for a small child. If the hubby starts on the Airstreams you take away. Once he start to come around you then reward works pretty good around this house.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I'm collecting salt/pepper shakers, corn holders, cookie jars, collectables like hot wheels and pottery barn. Maybe my wife won't notice another full size replica that I want to collect. I'll call it an addiction when they open a rehab center. Oh, is that what they call those Airstream parks in Florida? Yeah, six months down there to get it out of my system with all those that saw the Ed Sullivan show during the original run, not repeats. Oh wait, that's another thread. Alluminitus; not a collection, but addiction or disease - temporary inflamation.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Opposite from klevan's response. Like a reward system for a small child. If the hubby starts on the Airstreams you take away. Once he start to come around you then reward works pretty good around this house.
Thanks for the hearty chuckle. I agree with you there! THAT works in this house too!

(Egads, I can't believe we are discussing our "chick tricks" on an open forum!!! )

Old 05-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Rose

Welcome to the forum and Airstream life! I'm sorry you lost Clyde. My dog is a pure ghetto mut (he was actually a stray my partner found in a run down area of Sacramento) but more loveable than you can imagine and when the Airstream comes home from storage he's gets very excited because he knows we're probably going to the coast for the week end....he loves to run on the beach!

I've had Aluminitus for 18 years now but I have to say your case seems acute. I'm about to buy my fourth Airstream (a very slightly used 06 30' Classic) and I've never had more than two at a time. My first was a 65 Caravel that I wish I'd kept. It's still in Northern California and I still see it once in a while. The guy that bought it call it Lucky because he feels lucky to have found it.

There's no cure that I've heard of...but no one wants one! As long as it's not hurting anyone there's no reason for recovery and if it brings you happiness and contentment, then go with it.

I think your tow vehicle is way cool. I looked for a Travelall some years ago but now I have the Cummins Diesel Addiction to go with the Airstream Addiction....someone should study us and find out why we're this way...it might be intersting.

Mike
Old 05-11-2006, 04:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice crowd your gathering.

I'm not addicted, I can stop gathering anytime, really.. I'm certain of it.. I have enough... Hey, did you see the one for sale over?????????
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:10 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynmike
....someone should study us and find out why we're this way...it might be intersting.

Mike
A psychiatrist friend says it is because of a desire to attract attention, and something about conspicuous consumption.
A large, silver travel trailer being towed by a large (usually very) noisy diesel truck...That's not conspicuous, or attention-getting. Is it?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Hello, My name is Rose and I think I may be an Airstream Addict.
It all sort of just snuck up on me and started with an innocent purchase of a "neat little old trailer" we found that was low enough to the ground for Clyde (our 170 lb Mastiff with joint problems) to get into. There is a built-in/recessed step at the doorway and our dog was able to get in easily with the help of a short platform step we built.
So, our 1953, 17' Clipper needed work, and I started reading all sorts of Airstream info on the internet (mostly this Forum) and found that I really enjoyed working on or "playing" with my Airstream.
Well, now just a year or so later, our beloved dog is gone and I've filled the void with 2 more Airstreams. My husband doesn't say anything about my collection because I've convinced him it's all part of the grieving process after the loss of our precious Clyde.
I finally decided to register so I could search and post. I'm so glad to have found the Airstream Forum. It's kind of a relief to know I'm not the only one with a thing for Airstreams. The Forum is so helpful because each of my Airstreams are different and have unique personalities and quirks (problems) to be figured out. I may even get brave enough to post a question or reply about something I might be able to comment on.
Rose
1953 Clipper, 1968 Globetrotter, 1969 Caravel
and Martha, the wonderful tow vehicle- 1974 International Travelall

Welcome aboard. All that glitters is not Aluminum. Suggestion the next time your husband asks which one you are keeping. Respond, Why you dear! Of course.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Rose ,
Welcome to the forums. I am sad to hear of your loss but glad the grieving process is progressing for you. My suggestion to your husband's question is to keep the Airstreams. In the long run they are a lot less trouble than a spouse.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Keep on Keeping the A/S trailers

I don't have a collection, it is an accumulation. I seem to gather a few, I say one is for parts, but then, it is too good to "rob" from and needs to be restored. I have several in differents stages of restoration. Always keep one ready to camp in at a moment's notice.
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
....Always keep one ready to camp in at a moment's notice.
Yes, I've found that is the key to balancing the enjoyment I find with restoration and the actual use of the trailers.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forum Rose and I'm sorry for your loss. There is a beautiful mastiff down the street named Daisy that my two labs play with all the time. Such a beautiful breed and what a great temperment! Your addiction is understandable. Even though I've only owned my Tradewind for a few months, I look at the adds regularly looking for little gems that might come available.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote