Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
Is bigger better?

Hi All! New to the AS world and thrilled to find this forum!

So I was super shocked when I came home the other night and my DH announced that he wanted to "get the whole thing"! We have been planning a road trip for this summer renting a 16' AS for our family of four (2 teen boys). We realize that the AS is small, which is fine as the boys want to tent camp. However, if we are actually purchasing, I would rather have something that we can actually ALL be in for extended trips. DH argues we could always "trade-up" later. II know we would need to get another vehicle to tow (thinking F-150 XL) if we go any bigger than the 16' right now, but it seems silly to get something now with the idea you're going to trade it in later.

I guess my question really boils down to; what size did you purchase your first time and why? What did you tow it with?
NellBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
My first was a 34 foot motorhome (not airstream). After a few fun years with it when the kids were small, grew tired of having all the problems of a house and a semi truck in one package and sold it. Just picked up a used 23' Airstream trailer now that kids are all grown up. I considered smaller but Nah, that is not me. Of course there are real tradeoffs that are not trivial or easily overcome ....
Gramercyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
First, and we still have it, was a used 25’. Towed it for a short while with a old Ford 150 with a little v8. Bought a new 2500 diesel and are still towing with that. 13 years now.

The Ford 150 now is a very capable towing platform. I like the 25’ size trailer. I could not be happy with a wet bath. So that would limit my smallest size to consider.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Another 25 footer here. I couldn't imagine any smaller and dont need any bigger.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I went from a 40' motorhome with two slides to a 26' Airstream and a Toyota Tundra.
I wanted a decent bed not against the wall, a shower I could stand in, a toilet I could use without opening the door to stand up, and practical fridge with a freezer. Oh, and I didn't want a dinette.

No regrets.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We have a 25' as our first and only RV/trailer. While we have camped with four on weekends, it's really a couple's trailer for extended (multi month) trips. We also travel with a small dog. Over the 3 plus years that we've owned it, we have made many modifications to suit our camping style, so even if we wanted to trade up, which we don't, we'd have to start over on making improvements. We tow with a GMC 1500 with max trailering package.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome to the forum. Ask all the questions you want, and you will get FAR more information than you can handle at once. This group can't be beat for knowledge.

What size Airstream is a really personal question. For some, the 16' is plenty big enough, while others prefer the 34' model. Ask yourself how long you expect to keep the trailer, and how big your boys will be during that time. While they may want to sleep in the tent, what happens when there is a really BIG thunderstorm? They shouldn't be outside then, so where will they go?

Now, buying something as a "learner" with the expectation that you will trade it for something more appropriate in a year or two MAY make sense. We did it, and it worked for us, but it doesn't work for everyone. If you don't have much RV experience that may be the way to go. If you find that the RV life isn't for you, you don't have a huge amount invested, since you are using the vehicle you already own. That's what we did.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I really could not decide until I spent a full day at a dealership, and with my Kindle and camera, spent at least 30 minutes in each trailer, pretending I was living in them and checking out the comfort, room, ergonomics, and general "feel." Like Goldilocks I suppose, the 25 was too small, the 27 and 34 were too big, and the 26 "just right." For a family of four, I would get everyone to the dealer and do the same thing. Do you need all the geegaws of the Classic, or will the big Flying Cloud suit you? Do you need bunks? Is an Airstream really the best rig for your family, or do you need a toy hauler and bikes and hiking gear and "stuff?"
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
We bought a Sport 22 and towed with 4Runner. The 4Runner was replaced with an F150 SCrew Max Tow pretty quickly. After a year in the Sport, we decided that was not our "forever" AS. We sold it and have our dream Globetrotter 27 FBT. This did cost us some money, but we are happy with the decision.

I have heard on this board that you should, "Always buy your *second* AS first." Seems like good advice to me.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
We started with a 25 foot flying cloud, towing with an F150. The 25 is a great length, it gets you the 'wide body' which is nice when moving around inside.

We like rear twins, the layout give us 4 storage compartments outside AND the bathroom that one can sit on the throne and not mash their knees up against anything.

We have moved to a 30 footer now, same rear twin layout, same 4 outside storage compartments, and same bath layout.

What else did the 30 give us? More kitchen counter space, a larger wardrobe, and my favorite, a couch to stretch out on, nap, read, or watch tv.

That's our story..... so far

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Bigger isn't better, it is just bigger. The most important consideration is your intended use this summer and 30 summers down the road. Airstream builds a lot of different floor plans and have through the years. There is one that will fit your family's needs perfectly independent of its length.

The big advantage to a "hard sided" camper is comfort in weather, and safety from wildlife. My tent camping son has had bears in the campsite here in Colorado. And for me, there is little joy in setting up a tent in the mud and sleeping in a wet sleeping bag. Our Airstream is so much better.

As mentioned, the key is spending time in a trailer that might suit your needs. Who sleeps where, what is meal prep like, is the shower stall big enough for your young men, where does all your clothes and provisions go for a week long trip, is the freezer big enough for 2 gallons of ice cream, etc, etc. Spend a couple of hours in one and try to answer all the daily life questions.

Have fun learning all about Airstream trailers. The first thing you will learn is they are quite expensive. However, I bet they will last three times as long as a white box trailer of similar size and half the cost. The second thing you will learn is the entry door is short. You will likely bonk your head on it getting out of the trailer, and it will make you mad.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
It is just my wife and me most of the time, but we bought a 28’ with a nice lounge area. It sleeps six. We have grandchildren that sleep with us when we are camping and visiting our children. So although they don’t travel with us they will stay the night. The other thing about the 28’ with the lounge is the arrangement is nice to visit and do things without sitting at the table.

And this was going to be an AS we weren’t planning on buying up from.

My wife really liked the 30’, but I didn’t want to buy a 3/4 ton to tow it around. I tow mine with an F150 Ecoboost XLT crew cab. Works great for what we need it for. The one thing you do have to consider is the hitch set up a bit more for the longer AS’s. So getting a good Anti-sway weight distribution hitch is essential for towing.

But an F150 with an Ecoboost for anything 28’ and less works great. 30’ marginal; depending upon where you are towing.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by NellBell View Post
. . .
Welcome to the forum!

Great advice here IMO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I really could not decide until I spent a full day at a dealership, and with my Kindle and camera, spent at least 30 minutes in each trailer, pretending I was living in them and checking out the comfort, room, ergonomics, and general "feel." Like Goldilocks I suppose, the 25 was too small, the 27 and 34 were too big, and the 26 "just right." For a family of four, I would get everyone to the dealer and do the same thing.
. . .
Imagine being stuck inside for a very long weekend when it rains for days on end.

You will know when the trailer fits like a glove!

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NellBell View Post

So I was super shocked when I came home the other night and my DH announced that he wanted to "get the whole thing"! We have been planning a road trip for this summer renting a 16' AS for our family of four (2 teen boys). We realize that the AS is small, which is fine as the boys want to tent camp. However, if we are actually purchasing, I would rather have something that we can actually ALL be in for extended trips. DH argues we could always "trade-up" later. II know we would need to get another vehicle to tow (thinking F-150 XL) if we go any bigger than the 16' right now, but it seems silly to get something now with the idea you're going to trade it in later.

I guess my question really boils down to; what size did you purchase your first time and why? What did you tow it with?
When my children were still babies we camped in a popup tent camper trailer. We could tow it with our car. We enjoyed that thoroughly and it suited our young family budget.

When my children were teenagers I got my first Airstream, a 1973 twin bed with bunks. I traded again for a 1978, a 1987, and then a 1999. These were 30', except one was a 31' (I can't remember which). We needed progressively larger more powerful tow vehicles because newer trailers are heavier than older trailers.

By the time I got the 1999 Excella 30' the children had finished college and moved away. We began traveling more when we retired so we decided a smaller trailer would be easier. We moved to a 25' Safari. Later in our retirement we started staying in our trailer in Florida for several months. We wanted more space so we got a second trailer, the 34' we have now (like a vacation home that moved occasionally), and kept the 25' for long trips.

There is no right or wrong trailer. What works for me, or anyone else, may not suit your needs. You have to figure it out.
The main thing is to get out there and camp with your teenagers. They will be grown and gone before you know it!

ps:
My two teenagers for some reason always turned into 3 or 4 when we went camping. Their friends wanted to come along. When it rained the tent did not work for sleeping, so the floor and sofa would be full of kids and sleeping bags. It's all part of the experience ;-)
Old 03-30-2019, 03:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A great comment, Alan, which sums it all up in a nutshell!

" . . . The main thing is to get out there and camp . . . "

Life is short!

Peter
Old 03-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is no single answer to the "what's best?" question. That's why they make a whole bunch of models in a whole bunch of sizes What works for one group may or may not work for another. This stuff (new or used) costs a pretty good pile of money. Taking your time shopping for one is well worth the effort.

The only way we could work out the "what's for us?" question was to head over to a dealer. We spent a full day sitting in this and sitting in that. No distractions, no hassles, just seeing how each "size" fit our needs. There are a *lot* of pesky little details to dig into. Where does everybody sit? Are they comfortable sitting there for hours? Where does everybody sleep? What's involved in the bed time <-> day use conversion process? Where does everybody's stuff go? On and on and on ... Figuring all that out from pictures, not so much. Finding out you do / don't fit in this seat can only be done in person.

In our case, the internet part of the process had us focused on one size. After spending the day in each or them, we bought something very different.

I would also suggest that the decision on the trailer be made independent of the tow vehicle you now have. If you do go with a new AS, that's a 20 to 30 year sort of purchase. Most of us go through a *lot* of trucks over that sort of time span. We went over shopping with one vehicle and traded it in before we picked up the trailer.

A side note to this is that fitting the tow to the trailer involves a whole bunch of variables. Don't try to work that all out while figuring out the trailer. There's way to much to juggle just with one big decision in the works. Figure out the trailer first, then see how it fits the tow you have. If it fits, fine. If you need to trade up, see what that involves and make sure the budget covers it.

Is that the only way to do it? Most certainly not. It simply is one of many ways to get through this. The idea is to have something you will hang on to for a *long* time. For most people, trading in after a year or two is an expensive process. You want to avoid that if you can.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Is bigger better? NO

It is harder to turn around. It is heavier and encourages you to take stuff you may not need. It costs more on the front end, is more to maintain, and requires more space to store.

It can be an advantage, if your RV lifestyle is supported by bigger. Older big coaches often sell at reduced pricing on the used market. More to renovate so less cost to buy. To make this work you need to really understand what you are buying.

Go to the big dealer and dream a bit. It's worth the trip. Read a lot before and after. It's required.

The 16 - cute, small and wet bath, but it does have a pano dinette - high cool factor and tows with small vehicle. Alternative is the Casita type RVs. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...fb-193342.html This thread discusses pros and cons. Good reference point.

The 19 - dry bath, a bit more room. Good value for the sometime user and a starter platform for many.

The 20 - great solution with lots of counter space. See the dedicated 20 thread for many happy owner's experience mods and impressions.

The 22 - it's only 7.5 ft wide but has a nice layout and a big bed. Not so good for teen boys, but if they tent, it would be perfect. Tows with a smaller vehicle.

The 23s - two versions that are totally different, but these are the smallest dual axle trailers in the newer product lines. The D/CB has a more open layout and nice accomodation as a lounge. Bath is small as is the corner bed, but a great layout for many. It also is available with a small bunk over the CB. The 23FB is a perfect couples coach with queen bed, big bath and all the appliances. It is missing a lounge and only has a side dinette. You either love it or hate it. See the separate 23 threads.

The 25 - this is the standard - only problem is excessive tongue weight. Research on 25 to get all the winning opinions.

The 27 - this is the first layout with a north-South Queen bed layout. Lighter tongue weight than the 25. My recommendation for a coach bigger than a 23.

The 26 - a bit different animal. Give it a look. Many find it fits their niche.

The 28 - a different 27. Has weight issues, but a following. Look at it to see if the differences are must haves for you.

The 30 - yes, the whole deal. There is a bunk model and it's the right size for teens. Would be the no brainer choice if you can match up the other requirements. Can be towed with a full size 1/2 specified for the capacity.

The 33 - a very big 23FB with a nice lounge added and even bigger bath space. Worth a look if you have $s and want space.

The smaller you go, the more personal the experience is. The bigger you go, the more Glamp you add. AS tends to add higher end features as the size goes up. It a money thing.

Bigger trailers tow well. Some say better. They just take more space to turn.

Smaller trailers are the deal for older small parks and tight places.

Good luck with your research. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great quick overview, Pat!

Peter
Old 03-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
When my children were still babies we camped in a popup tent camper trailer. We could tow it with our car. We enjoyed that thoroughly and it suited our young family budget.

When my children were teenagers I got my first Airstream, a 1973 twin bed with bunks. I traded again for a 1978, a 1987, and then a 1999. These were 30', except one was a 31' (I can't remember which). We needed progressively larger more powerful tow vehicles because newer trailers are heavier than older trailers.

By the time I got the 1999 Excella 30' the children had finished college and moved away. We began traveling more when we retired so we decided a smaller trailer would be easier. We moved to a 25' Safari. Later in our retirement we started staying in our trailer in Florida for several months. We wanted more space so we got a second trailer, the 34' we have now (like a vacation home that moved occasionally), and kept the 25' for long trips.

There is no right or wrong trailer. What works for me, or anyone else, may not suit your needs. You have to figure it out.
The main thing is to get out there and camp with your teenagers. They will be grown and gone before you know it!

ps:
My two teenagers for some reason always turned into 3 or 4 when we went camping. Their friends wanted to come along. When it rained the tent did not work for sleeping, so the floor and sofa would be full of kids and sleeping bags. It's all part of the experience ;-)
This exactly!! My husband now has been informed that when we camp at KOA, we are not allowed to throw out a tent for the teens, so he is now on board with getting a larger trailer that will fit all of us!

For now, on paper at least, I've fallen in love with a 27fb safari. Love the layout and since I'll be the one towing it primarily (I just am the one who does better driving "big" things), I told him I should have the say in in the layout (LOL)! Tomorrow will be the all day test of "trying on" sizes (and I'm making one of the kids come as well).

Thank you to all for weighing in...it definitely is veering helpful in knowing what everyone made for their first!
Old 03-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
Excellent point about the tow vehicle Bob! We are going to have to purchase something so we are definitely going to have to choose the trailer first to make sure we get something that will be able to tow it! 😊