Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #21
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Agreeing with Peter. Sure hope you’re seeing this advice from a broad range of Airstream owners. Plan on 8 hours the first day, then sleep in it right there on the lot if at all possible and make a list of all the things you find that need fixed. Stay second night. If everything is not absolutely perfect I would be prepared to head home without said Airstream.
I didn’t know about Airforum when I brought mine 2 years ago and didn’t know about all the issues to look for, had I known ahead of time it sure would have saved me 3 long, cold months of misery.
I hope we’re not scaring you off or causing you to second guess your purchase. We’re all here because we all have Airstreams and prefer them over other travel trailers but the RV industry is not like the auto industry. Quality control can very greatly but as soon as all the bugs are worked out you’ll really enjoy owning an attention getting Icon that will last decades longer than any other brand on the road.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wondering if you are following this [your] thread?

Good luck,

Peter
Hello...

Hello??? Bridget, are you still there???
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
The other crappy thing to remember is that by buying the trailer from LA airstream, you’re going to be paying LA sales tax. To avoid it and get the Vegas sales tax, they are required to deliver the trailer to you at the Nevada boarder. Assuming you spent $100k on a new trailer, it’s an extra $1250 in tax that you’re spending to buy from LA

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:05 AM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED View Post
Hello...

Hello??? Bridget, are you still there???
She was on the forum yesterday afternoon, so hopefully she saw all this at that time.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Indeed, this all *can* start to sound a bit scary. Since we still don't know what sort of Airstream is being picked up, a *lot* of what has been tossed out may be off the mark. It would be very helpful to at least know if this is a van or a trailer ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Meeting the dealer halfway sounds like the worst possible choice you could make. Whatever Kind of Airstream you are buying. The trip is less than 300 miles. We have been that far to get a pizza. I really do not “get” this question?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Could you please chime in here?

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
So excited to become part of the Airstream family!
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
Do the walk through with the dealer, and if they don’t allow camping on their lot, find a full hookup campground nearby to test the trailer. Also watch Patrick Botticelli’s video walkthrough from Colonial Airstream in New Jersey. All their walkthroughs are on YouTube and I believe he’s done all the AS models. I learned much more from him for my Bambi than I did from the dealer, and so did my brother for his Flying Cloud.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Do the walk-thru. And a thorough inspection before signing the paperwork
Brick has best advice so far.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
Porterdale , Georgia
Absolutely do a thorough walkthrough with clipboard in hand. Make a list, you’ll find things - maybe big, maybe small. Our good friends didn’t insist the hitch up looked a little “off” when leaving JC. they had a catastrophic rollover before they got it home. No injuries but totaled trailer and suburban. Lesson learned. So. Everything has to be to YOUR satisfaction, and you’ve paid a boatload of $$$ for a gorgeous trailer that will be around a lifetime with love and care.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:03 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 22
1977 20' Argosy 20
CODY , Wyoming
We live in Wyoming. Bought our new AS in Las Vegas. The 2 hour walk-thru is so very important. We took notes, asked lots of questions, then stayed close our first night. Even after the walk-thru, we had many questions. LasVegas treated us wonderful!! I can't imagine spending this much money without the invaluable walk-thru. Congrats on your new AS. You will love it!
WapitiCathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:46 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1999 19' Bambi
Buda , Texas
Been there done that-exact same scenario. Worst mistake we ever made was buying online and taking delivery without walk thru. We were seasoned AS owners but we were dealing with a CA dealership that was not honest or interested in customer service. Don’t ever buy without a complete walk thru
flying ace - #8614
london1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #33
Cobalt

2019 25' International
Anywhere , Tennessee
Just remember the dealer you buy from is going to be your “home base” for getting stuff done and asking questions. Unfortunately, the first question the service department asks is “Did you buy it from us?”
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #34
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Wow!

I hope this is NOT a serious question.

Seems like trolling to me.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:32 PM   #35

Las Vegas , NV
Thank you all!

Just a quick note to say thanks to all of you who took time to reply to my question about the walk thru. We followed the sage advice and spent a solid day with a very helpful technician who went over every little and big thing with us. As many of you replied, there were a few things that needed attention before we go back tomorrow for the final tow away. Our experience from beginning to end with Airstream LA was excellent.
Finishing up chemo, readying to have surgery to remove a kidney, and finishing the Airstream purchase has been a journey...but, now we just hope the Airstream Sport 22 will let us have a bit of a break!
Grateful for you with helpful replies! The end.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:21 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quite a journey indeed!

Best wishes for your kidney surgery, and thanks for the update -- good move to go to the dealer.

Apologies for certain additional "head winds" here . . .

Happy trails,

Peter
Old 06-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #37
Cobalt

2019 25' International
Anywhere , Tennessee
Walk Thru Inspectionu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Wow!

I hope this is NOT a serious question.

Seems like trolling to me.
Well, I might say the same for your note. I think if I’m logged in as an Air Forum member, which is typically verified at the time, I would not be. I will not quote the dealer name, but they did, asked me what work, under warranty, then told be three days. My “dealer” told me to bring it in. Are yo7 upset because the dealer in LV quoted a higher price?
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

BALLWIN , Missouri
CHECK EVERYTHING before signing final paperwork! including tires, batteries, and ALL the electronics. If you don't understand it ask and take videos/good notes. Some tires are a year old before they are put on rims. Batteries are another thing to check out (and probably the hardest to determine if they have been abused).
An exciting time but be aware of everything, once you sign it is your problem!
robertbrenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
robert, they already picked up the trailer, per Bridget's recent post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Just a quick note to say thanks to all of you who took time to reply to my question about the walk thru. We followed the sage advice and spent a solid day with a very helpful technician who went over every little and big thing with us. As many of you replied, there were a few things that needed attention before we go back tomorrow for the final tow away. Our experience from beginning to end with Airstream LA was excellent.
Finishing up chemo, readying to have surgery to remove a kidney, and finishing the Airstream purchase has been a journey...but, now we just hope the Airstream Sport 22 will let us have a bit of a break!
Grateful for you with helpful replies! The end.