Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Engie's Avatar
 
2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Investigating used AS Bambi

I am a newbie to the AS phenonom but love their look. My wife and I sold our pop up trailer when kids moved on miss camping and are way beyond going back to the tent. Would love some advice about buying a used AS. What to look for etc...

Thank you
Jeff the newbie
__________________

__________________
Engie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 205
Images: 99
Don't have much advice since we are pretty new to this but will tell you that you won't regret it! We got ourselves a 16 ft. Bambi this summer and can't tell you how much fun we are having! Wish we would have done this years ago! Good luck finding one that's right for you!

Kim
__________________

__________________
My Blog and photo diary:

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
Engie's Avatar
 
2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Thanks hope we have a similar experience. Any fear of buying used in a state where there is no dealer?
__________________
Engie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 213
I just got 16ft bambi

I have never camped in RV before I did watch some TV today in her. Was not planning on buying a Airstream but was watching Craigs list and no kidding a used bambi 16ft and jumped! There is one on Ebay at BatesRV not sure I like flooring though in quicksilver. This kind spoils my plans as I love my huge 15x20 tent with 6 foot door, I will still bring it along for extra square footage. The one thing I have found these require more money than you think to get on road in style. Just put new TV in,equalizer hitch $470,I want new tires as well,bearing repack,prodigy 2 brake controller $145. Just be ready for folks to come right up and ask questions about it.
__________________
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engie View Post
I am a newbie to the AS phenonom but love their look. My wife and I sold our pop up trailer when kids moved on miss camping and are way beyond going back to the tent. Would love some advice about buying a used AS. What to look for etc...

Thank you
Jeff the newbie
Jeff,

As a newbie you probably don't realize that Airstream trailers talk. When you get close enough to see your reflection stand quietly and listen. You'll know when it's time to pop the rivet.

Your asking questions here which is the perfect start, this is the Rosetta Stone of all things Airstream.

It can be hard.... but patience is a wonderful ally.

Sweet Streams

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Silver Otter's Avatar

 
2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 979
Images: 6
Blog Entries: 1
Jeff,
Just like you, Lin and I wanted our first RV last Spring. We looked around and fell in love, as Bob said above, with the look-and-feel of Airstream. We surfed both the Classifieds here and on RVTrader.com. We narrowed the search by bedroom type and price range. We found three-four good candidates. We looked at one and passed. We found our dream AS about six hours south of home from a private seller who took *wonderful* care of her. Since May we've put on about 24,000 miles; 29 states; 1 province. We're hooked and you will be, too. Just take your time finding the perfect AS for you. You'll know it when you see it. Welcome Home!
__________________
Greg and Linda Heuer
2011 31' Classic Ltd. - The Silver Otter III
2013 GMC Denali 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
Johnco's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 210
Jeff,
Our story is very similar to yours. We purchased a 19' Bambi 6 years ago and it turned our world upside down (in a great way). We average a couple outings a month and have made lots of wonderful new friends in the process. When looking at a used unit check out the flooring very carefully for signs of discoloration. Typically that indicates water intrusion on the plywood below. Not a deal breaker, but you mentioned a lack of dealerships so eventually you'll need to find a qualified repair shop. Other than that, you've found the best source for all things Airstream here at the Forums-best of luck in your search!
__________________
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,127
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engie View Post
Thanks hope we have a similar experience. Any fear of buying used in a state where there is no dealer?
Arizona is not without an Airstream dealer. I thought the same thing, but found out that Dillions RV in Mesa is an Airstream Authorized Service Center. There is also supposed to be a new Airstream dealership opening in Scottsdale this year.

While it appears that Oasis RV in Tucson is no longer a Airstream Service Center, they are more then qualified to do Airstream repairs. Also, not all issues need to be addressed by Airstream service centers.
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
Engie's Avatar
 
2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft
I have never camped in RV before I did watch some TV today in her. Was not planning on buying a Airstream but was watching Craigs list and no kidding a used bambi 16ft and jumped! There is one on Ebay at BatesRV not sure I like flooring though in quicksilver. This kind spoils my plans as I love my huge 15x20 tent with 6 foot door, I will still bring it along for extra square footage. The one thing I have found these require more money than you think to get on road in style. Just put new TV in,equalizer hitch $470,I want new tires as well,bearing repack,prodigy 2 brake controller $145. Just be ready for folks to come right up and ask questions about it.
Thanks Starcraft so expensive to operate and maintain I get that but do you like it?
__________________
Engie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
Engie's Avatar
 
2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

Jeff,

As a newbie you probably don't realize that Airstream trailers talk. When you get close enough to see your reflection stand quietly and listen. You'll know when it's time to pop the rivet.

Your asking questions here which is the perfect start, this is the Rosetta Stone of all things Airstream.

It can be hard.... but patience is a wonderful ally.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Wow that is deep will try it and breathe deeply.

Jeff
__________________
Engie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
Engie's Avatar
 
2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter
Jeff,
Just like you, Lin and I wanted our first RV last Spring. We looked around and fell in love, as Bob said above, with the look-and-feel of Airstream. We surfed both the Classifieds here and on RVTrader.com. We narrowed the search by bedroom type and price range. We found three-four good candidates. We looked at one and passed. We found our dream AS about six hours south of home from a private seller who took *wonderful* care of her. Since May we've put on about 24,000 miles; 29 states; 1 province. We're hooked and you will be, too. Just take your time finding the perfect AS for you. You'll know it when you see it. Welcome Home!
Thanks looking forward to the adventure of finding the perfect one for us. Hope our experience is as positive as you're has been.

Engie
__________________
Engie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
Engie's Avatar
 
2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnco
Jeff,
Our story is very similar to yours. We purchased a 19' Bambi 6 years ago and it turned our world upside down (in a great way). We average a couple outings a month and have made lots of wonderful new friends in the process. When looking at a used unit check out the flooring very carefully for signs of discoloration. Typically that indicates water intrusion on the plywood below. Not a deal breaker, but you mentioned a lack of dealerships so eventually you'll need to find a qualified repair shop. Other than that, you've found the best source for all things Airstream here at the Forums-best of luck in your search!
Thanks this is excellent advise greatly appreciated.

Engie
__________________
Engie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
Engie's Avatar
 
2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Arizona is not without an Airstream dealer. I thought the same thing, but found out that Dillions RV in Mesa is an Airstream Authorized Service Center. There is also supposed to be a new Airstream dealership opening in Scottsdale this year.

While it appears that Oasis RV in Tucson is no longer a Airstream Service Center, they are more then qualified to do Airstream repairs. Also, not all issues need to be addressed by Airstream service centers.
That is great news thank you. I wonder when the one is Scottsdale will be official? Again appreciate knowing about Dillion's.

Engie
__________________
Engie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 213
Yes it is very cool

What is not to like, turn on stereo blast some music and take in splender of shiny alum interior and lighting. Only camping I have done so far is spend 2 hours in driveway lol. If your a person that likes old german cars,50's chevrolets, old harley's you know real classic type items the AS is right there with it. I personally prefer the newer trailers over older ones unless it is something really special. Ebay has new listing for I think 66 bambi 16, mine blows it away would not swap units plus absurd amount of cash.
__________________

__________________
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Investigating used AS Bambi Engie Member Introductions 70 04-27-2012 10:01 PM
2005 Airstream 19' Bambi Safari Travel Trailer! BEAUTIFUL, CLEAN, Must See! AZ. eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 03-01-2012 08:50 PM
New Bambi owner. Partition gone, need replacement Juniper450 General Repair Forum 3 03-01-2012 05:17 PM
AS LYG MH Photo on Portal Page! Michigander Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes 3 02-29-2012 06:18 PM
WD hitch for Jeep Liberty to 16ft bambi international starcraft Hitches, Couplers & Balls 4 02-29-2012 07:11 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.