Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Investigating used AS Bambi

I am a newbie to the AS phenonom but love their look. My wife and I sold our pop up trailer when kids moved on miss camping and are way beyond going back to the tent. Would love some advice about buying a used AS. What to look for etc...

Thank you
Jeff the newbie

Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Don't have much advice since we are pretty new to this but will tell you that you won't regret it! We got ourselves a 16 ft. Bambi this summer and can't tell you how much fun we are having! Wish we would have done this years ago! Good luck finding one that's right for you!

Kim

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Thanks hope we have a similar experience. Any fear of buying used in a state where there is no dealer?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I just got 16ft bambi

I have never camped in RV before I did watch some TV today in her. Was not planning on buying a Airstream but was watching Craigs list and no kidding a used bambi 16ft and jumped! There is one on Ebay at BatesRV not sure I like flooring though in quicksilver. This kind spoils my plans as I love my huge 15x20 tent with 6 foot door, I will still bring it along for extra square footage. The one thing I have found these require more money than you think to get on road in style. Just put new TV in,equalizer hitch $470,I want new tires as well,bearing repack,prodigy 2 brake controller $145. Just be ready for folks to come right up and ask questions about it.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engie View Post
I am a newbie to the AS phenonom but love their look. My wife and I sold our pop up trailer when kids moved on miss camping and are way beyond going back to the tent. Would love some advice about buying a used AS. What to look for etc...

Thank you
Jeff the newbie
Jeff,

As a newbie you probably don't realize that Airstream trailers talk. When you get close enough to see your reflection stand quietly and listen. You'll know when it's time to pop the rivet.

Your asking questions here which is the perfect start, this is the Rosetta Stone of all things Airstream.

It can be hard.... but patience is a wonderful ally.

Sweet Streams

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Jeff,
Just like you, Lin and I wanted our first RV last Spring. We looked around and fell in love, as Bob said above, with the look-and-feel of Airstream. We surfed both the Classifieds here and on RVTrader.com. We narrowed the search by bedroom type and price range. We found three-four good candidates. We looked at one and passed. We found our dream AS about six hours south of home from a private seller who took *wonderful* care of her. Since May we've put on about 24,000 miles; 29 states; 1 province. We're hooked and you will be, too. Just take your time finding the perfect AS for you. You'll know it when you see it. Welcome Home!
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Jeff,
Our story is very similar to yours. We purchased a 19' Bambi 6 years ago and it turned our world upside down (in a great way). We average a couple outings a month and have made lots of wonderful new friends in the process. When looking at a used unit check out the flooring very carefully for signs of discoloration. Typically that indicates water intrusion on the plywood below. Not a deal breaker, but you mentioned a lack of dealerships so eventually you'll need to find a qualified repair shop. Other than that, you've found the best source for all things Airstream here at the Forums-best of luck in your search!
Old 03-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engie View Post
Thanks hope we have a similar experience. Any fear of buying used in a state where there is no dealer?
Arizona is not without an Airstream dealer. I thought the same thing, but found out that Dillions RV in Mesa is an Airstream Authorized Service Center. There is also supposed to be a new Airstream dealership opening in Scottsdale this year.

While it appears that Oasis RV in Tucson is no longer a Airstream Service Center, they are more then qualified to do Airstream repairs. Also, not all issues need to be addressed by Airstream service centers.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft
I have never camped in RV before I did watch some TV today in her. Was not planning on buying a Airstream but was watching Craigs list and no kidding a used bambi 16ft and jumped! There is one on Ebay at BatesRV not sure I like flooring though in quicksilver. This kind spoils my plans as I love my huge 15x20 tent with 6 foot door, I will still bring it along for extra square footage. The one thing I have found these require more money than you think to get on road in style. Just put new TV in,equalizer hitch $470,I want new tires as well,bearing repack,prodigy 2 brake controller $145. Just be ready for folks to come right up and ask questions about it.
Thanks Starcraft so expensive to operate and maintain I get that but do you like it?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

Jeff,

As a newbie you probably don't realize that Airstream trailers talk. When you get close enough to see your reflection stand quietly and listen. You'll know when it's time to pop the rivet.

Your asking questions here which is the perfect start, this is the Rosetta Stone of all things Airstream.

It can be hard.... but patience is a wonderful ally.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Wow that is deep will try it and breathe deeply.

Jeff
Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter
Jeff,
Just like you, Lin and I wanted our first RV last Spring. We looked around and fell in love, as Bob said above, with the look-and-feel of Airstream. We surfed both the Classifieds here and on RVTrader.com. We narrowed the search by bedroom type and price range. We found three-four good candidates. We looked at one and passed. We found our dream AS about six hours south of home from a private seller who took *wonderful* care of her. Since May we've put on about 24,000 miles; 29 states; 1 province. We're hooked and you will be, too. Just take your time finding the perfect AS for you. You'll know it when you see it. Welcome Home!
Thanks looking forward to the adventure of finding the perfect one for us. Hope our experience is as positive as you're has been.

Engie
Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnco
Jeff,
Our story is very similar to yours. We purchased a 19' Bambi 6 years ago and it turned our world upside down (in a great way). We average a couple outings a month and have made lots of wonderful new friends in the process. When looking at a used unit check out the flooring very carefully for signs of discoloration. Typically that indicates water intrusion on the plywood below. Not a deal breaker, but you mentioned a lack of dealerships so eventually you'll need to find a qualified repair shop. Other than that, you've found the best source for all things Airstream here at the Forums-best of luck in your search!
Thanks this is excellent advise greatly appreciated.

Engie
Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Arizona is not without an Airstream dealer. I thought the same thing, but found out that Dillions RV in Mesa is an Airstream Authorized Service Center. There is also supposed to be a new Airstream dealership opening in Scottsdale this year.

While it appears that Oasis RV in Tucson is no longer a Airstream Service Center, they are more then qualified to do Airstream repairs. Also, not all issues need to be addressed by Airstream service centers.
That is great news thank you. I wonder when the one is Scottsdale will be official? Again appreciate knowing about Dillion's.

Engie
Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Yes it is very cool

What is not to like, turn on stereo blast some music and take in splender of shiny alum interior and lighting. Only camping I have done so far is spend 2 hours in driveway lol. If your a person that likes old german cars,50's chevrolets, old harley's you know real classic type items the AS is right there with it. I personally prefer the newer trailers over older ones unless it is something really special. Ebay has new listing for I think 66 bambi 16, mine blows it away would not swap units plus absurd amount of cash.