Old 05-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Manhattan Beach , California
Hi Neighbor!

My name is Lisa and I've been wanting an airstream for a long time! I finally just decided that life is short....so I went to see one today and bought it! I'm bringing it home tomorrow! My husband is slowly getting used to the idea

I found mine on Craigslist and luckily, it was in El Segundo. So, it will be a short drive! I'm most worried about how I will get it into my driveway. Luckily, my neighbor has one and has offered to help!

I'd love to follow your story as we'll be starting from scratch. Our airstream was gutted (for the most part) by a local PR firm. They used it for promotional purposes. It has 2 cheesy "couches" and a refrigerator. That's about it.

I'm looking for a generator as a first step. I want that air conditioning going

Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #16

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I'm looking for a generator as a first step. I want that air conditioning going

It depends on the size of you AC but this one will run up to 13,000 btu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2381425319.png
Views:	74
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	129615  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamomof2 View Post
I'd love to follow your story as we'll be starting from scratch. Our airstream was gutted (for the most part) by a local PR firm. They used it for promotional purposes. It has 2 cheesy "couches" and a refrigerator. That's about it.
Haha well you have the unique opportunity to drive down the street and see the progress first-hand. We are currently busy trying to settle on some of the details while finishing up the stripping process on the ceiling.

Our steps are very clearly laid out in my head, but I'm thinking of writing everything down so I don't do something stupid like forget to put in the graywater tank before I put the subfloor in.

It sounds like you've made an awesome decision and gone for it, and now you just need to decide what direction to take it.

As for the generator, others probably have much better info. My three links are this one, this one, and this one has a blurb out generators. That's close to the last thing I'm buying since it doesn't affect anything else in my trailer.

- Peter

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Peter,

You seem like you've thought thru alot more of this than I have LOL! I need to get going on my research! What are your favorite resources?

I'm curious if you will be building your own cabinetry? or have you found a local source? also....what kind of floors are you doing?

I'm in the tree section near Target. Where are you?

Lastly, a bit off topic, but what biz schools are you applying to? I'm an Anderson grad (UCLA) putting my degree to work as a stay-at-home Mom lol!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
So far my #1 resource is definitely this thread. 50% is from just searching for what I am trying to answer a question in my head about, and 50% is just reading through the details that people have posted in their long renovations, like Steve's thread, or Carlos' various projects (just search his name or master metal worker,etc.). #2 resource is a folder of bookmarks with about 10 different blogs and a bunch of random info pages organized into "Electrical", "Plumbing", "Floorplan" etc.

Cabinetry: Since we have now decided not to do a toilet of any sort, due to the locations we go and my freakishly long legs that require a giant space to be comfortable while sitting, then there will be nothing floor-to-ceiling within the trailer. That makes the cabinetry much simpler, and allows us to consider using ready-made pieces that I just modify by cutting the rear curve, and possibly shortening lower drawers if needed. Haven't settled on countertop material yet. I wish granite wasn't so heavy. The one disadvantage of ready-made is that we really liked the idea of putting in curved edges-- the kind with a 2 inch radius or more like some of the designs in Timeless Travel Trailers.

I'm at Sapphire and Catalina, a couple blocks past the Redondo pier.

I applied to UCLA and sigh....USC... I'm a UCLA undergrad alumni, so its hard to consider possible betrayal, but for B school its a toss-up. We'll find out in about 6 weeks. Luckily, neither start until late August, so I have about 3.5 months to work on this trailer like there's no tomorrow.

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 05-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
ha! I went to USC undergrad and UCLA grad. No betrayal....best of both worlds

thanks for the recos on threads to read....i've skimmed Steve's and it's AMAZING! wow!

are you gutting your trailer? do you have a budget yet? my mind is all over the place but for the summer, we'll just enjoy it the way it is for the most part.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
We are gutting it. It's pretty much empty already. We had planned to re-use some wood and vintage equipment, but the more we removed the more we realized that A) the cabinetry wood was stained, rotted in places, and beat up and punctured, and we wanted more functionality than the vintage equipment would provide. Our budget is roughly $7k since we are doing everything (with the sole exception of weld repairs) by ourselves. However, I also already own 90% of the tools that I would otherwise need to buy, and we are not going to be including some large ticket items, like an A/C.

Our biggest decision we have coming up is what to do with the axle, suspension, brakes

Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
I'd be pretty happy to only spend $7k! I only paid $3k for my trailer so to be "done" for $10k would be great!

Mine has a new jack, newer tires, a canopy that only needs a small fix includes 2 new refrigerators. So, those items will save me a few bucks! but, I have one window missing and a few that are plexi and I want glass. My '67 was one of the few years with "curved" windows to I'm sure those will be expensive and hard to find!

I'm worried about the cost of the bathroom. Kitchen wise, I don't plan to do much as we'll likely grill outside most of the time!