Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Introduction - '67 Safari Plumbing Help

Good morning!

Thank you for hosting this forum - amazing resource. I've already read on it but could not find info on a few specifics. Thought it was time to join the community!

My wife and I are 4 weeks into a shell off renovation of a '67 Safari. Currently we have our shell off and suspended by 2 hoists we built. It's blocked to keep it from damage from the wind. We have wire brushed the frame and coated with POR 15. A new axle is being installed over the next few days. The shell has been stripped of it's clear coat and while we have the downtime (from waiting for the axle to be installed) and all accessories off we have begun the first pass of polishing w/ G6 Nuvite. I know the timing is not ideal, but it keeps us from wasting the long summer days. Lots of work and lots of fun!

My next step and questions mostly relate to the new plumbing system. I am redesigning to accommodate a side wet bath - placing a full size bed in the back. I'm looking for holding tanks (black and grey) to sit under the yet to be installed subfloor in the bays immediately above the axle. I do not require large amounts of storage capacity. I would love to find something relatively non custom, but don't have much knowledge about the outlets. I want to place my toilet directly above the black tank and my design can accommodate this, but where should the outlet go? Do I just cut a hole in the bellypan for the outlets and have them drain directly outside the bottom (want to maximize my ground clearance)? Should one go on each side of the trailer (grey and black tank). I am also open to putting a fresh water tank above the axle and running a supply below the floor from the original inlet in the front. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have attached PDF plan of my frame with a plumbing schematic on top of it. I would be very grateful for any suggestions on sourcing the tanks and system design suggestions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 140815 PLUMBING PLAN.pdf (184.4 KB, 47 views)

Old 08-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I am just now laying out my Plumbing and should have it completed in a week or so. Because of ground clearance I will have a Black Water Dump (potentially black and gray) and then a separate Gray Water Dump.
My Black Water Tank is above the sub-floor and is FRP with the drain at the bottom so there is room for a blade valve and the hose fitting. Inside the closet area I will have a Gray Water Dump Valve and then a bypass Valve to the Black Water Tank. Not the most ideal but if there is ever a leak or other problem it will very easy to get to. There is barely enough room between the sub-floor and belly pan for the valves.
Another consideration should be a way to drain the tanks and the lines for maintenance and freezing.

1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Thanks for the reply. Can you suggest a good source for tanks. I've tried a few, but cant find any that are 4.5" tall (size that will fit b/t the floor joists. Steve I think I can let the blade valve and hose fitting sit below the belly skin close to the axle. That way it does not interfere w/ ground clearance.

Are you using a short (low profile) toilet since you have an above floor black tank?
Old 08-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome Tentmaker! You have jumped in the deep end with your 67 Safari.

I installed black and gray tanks in my 66 Trade Wind between the floor joists, and between the frame rails. I decided to drain the tanks below the frame rails. My 86 Airstream does this, and the ground clearance is about 10". The ground clearance on my Trade Wind drain valves is about 8" The ground clearance on my Honda S2000 is about 6". I made an aluminum tank cover "pan" that is insulated and heated, just like my 86.

Our trailers originally drained the black tank at the rear by opening a hatch in the belly pan. Not the most convenient.

The photos attached shows the 66 with the new aluminum valve cover below the belly pan, and the other photo is the 86. With the new 16" wheels and LT tires, I gained about an inch of ground clearance on the 86.
I recommend Inca Plastics in California as a source for your new tanks. They have a huge catalog of rotomolded tanks, and can install inlet and outlet ports where you specify. I just purchased a blank tank and purchased their rubber grommets for my inlet and vent ports. Then I hole sawed the holes where I need them and used the grommets. And purchased the Inca Plastics 3" ABS adaptor for the drain.

Inca Plastics has a website where you can download their catalog. The search for a tank that meets your dimensional requirements, height, length and width. Then give them a call to place your order. Inca served me well. They make basic square tanks with a 4" height so you can bury them under the belly pan.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408 Ground Clearance 86.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	219090   Click image for larger version

Name:	1408 Ground Clearance 66.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	219091  

Old 08-16-2014, 04:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Tent, yes try RONCO:
Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks
They are in So. Cal but have a large assortment and make them to order, doesn't take long and they also put the Fittings where requested. I have used them before when fitting out boats, that being said not sure about RVs.
INCA looks good as well just haven't had experience with them.

I like the looks of the "boxes" with Dump Fittings David showed but they do limit ground clearance by at least the diameter of the Fittings. I chose to have mine right under the belly pan and may use a hatch to access the valve handle instead of reducing clearance.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Vintage Trailer Supply has grey tanks that fit between the frame rails. They will spin weld the fittings to your specs. Gray Water Tank
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
David has done some solid work! Does look excellent. My wife and I are probably more prone to take this into some areas where the ground clearance would be nice….then again it sure would be nice not to have to crawl under the trailer.

Good contact Bruce and Rachel - I've purchased several items from VTS and appreciate the friendliness of Zach. Refreshing to do business with AS people like him.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Just for fun I'll post a photo of my tanks without the aluminum covers. You can see how they hang below the frame rails stealing ground clearance.

The tanks are about 25 gallons each. I did elect to combine waste streams so I have the toilet and bathroom sink draining into one tank, and the shower and kitchen sink draining into the other one. Both tanks are monitored with the excellent Garnett See Level monitors.

I'm trying to make my old Airstream more modern RV travel ready with the comforts of much newer rigs. Most campgrounds and dump sites are designed for disposal at the street side rear. I didn't want to get on my hands and knees in the mud (I always get rained on) under the trailer fussing with a stinky slinky in the dark.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks Installed.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	219169  
Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
David -

That picture is very helpful. I'm guessing you have a flange on the tanks to support them. Looks like a great setup!

Could you have push your tanks and thus your outlets 1'-0" or so away from the frame and up to regain a bit more clearance. The way you have done it looks ideal for campingÖ.way less hassle then crawling underneath. We just have one large bump to clear on our rather rough driveway - the inches might be worth the hassle for me.

That picture really give a great picture of the entire setup. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Tentmaker, Yep, the tanks I picked have a molded shoulder on both sides. I selected tanks that only gave about 2" clearance between the about 55" clearance between the inside of the frame rails. I hung the tanks from the upper flange of the frame rails with angle irons. I sandwiched 3/16" rubber between the tanks and the subfloor, and then snugged them up with lock nuts on the bolts.

David