Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Introduction

Hello All!
My name is Pat and my wife's name is Mary. We are taking possession of a brand new 2014 25FB Flying Cloud next week. After searching for an entire year we finally decided this is the one for us. We live in the Houston area and will be driving to Mississippi to pick it up. We are very excited to join the Airstream World. I have actually dreamed of owning one my entire adult life! I haven't owned an RV since the 70's and have forgotten most everything I ever knew. That's probably a good thing! So, my first question. One that I am probably going to look back on in a few month and realize how dumb a question it is. But here goes. What are my 'must haves' as a new Airstream owner? As I am walking through the dealer waiting to drive it home I know there are a million accessories that I can buy. What should I take back with me (if anything) immediately?

Thanks!
Pat
Pat Cassity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The dealer will have many suggestions.

An RV starter kit may be included- water hose, sewer hose, water pressure regulator, black tank chemical, RV toilet paper.

There are other things the dealership will suggest that are a good idea- MaxxAir vent cover, tire covers, screens on the furnace and water heater covers to keep the wasps out, wheel chocks, Lynx levelers.

You will enjoy looking at all the things available for sale in the showroom.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congrats on your new baby. We would love to see pictures when you pick her up.

We also have a (2005) 25FB, named Lucy, who we have now spent almost 1,300 nights in. We have towed her over 100,000 miles. We have not tired of her, and if we were forced to replace her, it would be with another 25FB.

The dealer should be able to set you up with the basics. Then you need to camp some, and other things that you want and need will make themselves known.

Please feel free to ask any questions here. You will always friendly and knowledgeable responses. Please remember that the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Dalton , Georgia
Welcome, you have come to the right place. Air forums has plenty of friendly and very knowledgeable people who share the same passion of the Airstream. Enjoy your new endeavors in the world of Airstreamin!
WBCCI # 7096
falcon-N-Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Congratulations!
If you will be spending a night or two on the road returning to TX. I would suggest linens, pillows, coffee, some cups & coffee maker, and of course some wine & glasses.
We wish you many years Airstreaming ! Safe Travels
Old 08-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Pat,
Welcome. We joined the AS family about two years ago. I've learned So Much from the wonderful folks here on the forum. One of them was "Hitchin' Posts" from Camping World. They make hooking up so much easier for those of us who don't have rear-view cameras.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Maybe a couple of short pieces of 2x6 lumber to help level things out. And a million other widgets you will need.

Good luck. Welcome to the addiction.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
This thread brought back some fond memories. The day we picked up our airstream we planned to tow it all the way to the storage facility we had rented and spend a week stocking it before camping. But once it was hooked to our truck and we were on the road we just couldn't imagine not spending the night in our new (to us) toy. In addition my husband was very nervous about having to back it into the parking spot for the first time. and it would be after dark before we got there. So I called an RVPark in Stonewall, Texas. Although it wasn't on the route, we knew that all of the spots were big flat pull throughs, and that the entrance roads were easy to navigate. So parking would be easy even in the dark. We had overnight bags with us because we had driven from Austin to Rockport the night before to pick the Airstream up, so we figured we could "camp out" that first night with a few provisions. We stopped at a super target and bought the following: two towels, two blankets ( we have twins and the PO included the freshly laundered airstream sheets,) two pillows, a bottle of wine, a corkscrew and two coffee cups. I think I also bought cheese and apples, a snickers for desert, some ground coffee, milk and muffins for breakfast. We had a box in the truck of a few things we had used in our pop-up including a stove top coffee pot, and some rv toilet paper. My husband's all purpose pocket knife was our only silverware. We had with us a new voltage regulator, a new white freshwater hose and a new gray hose, and a few basic tools. We pulled into our nice level spot just in front of a storm. We didn't even unhook from the truck but my husband unplugged the brake cord as we had been told to do. He got the electricity and water hooked up just as the rain started. What fun to listen to the rain on our new tin can as we toasted with our wine. The next day we found that the Hill Country had been pelted with hail but miraculously it went right around Stonewall. We drove to Austin the next morning and were pleased to find that backing the trailer into its spot was easy. The only downside? Hubby forgot to plug the brake cable back in when we set off and of course it was mangled. Lesson learned: always go through the pre-departure checklist! Anyway, it was a wonderful and memorable first night and we had everything we really needed. In subsequent weeks we added the leveling blocks, stocked the galley, etc. We are probably now carrying a bunch of stuff we don't really need.
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Welcome aboard.

There is enough information and tons of opinions on every topic. The search button in the blue toolbar at the top of each page becomes a valuable tool as you learn how to refine the terms.

Enjoy the unique experience of Airstreaming!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Congrats!
Lessee... how about a 'toast' ? Your choice of course.. as long as you can keep your sense of humor and stay in 'learning mode' you'll do fine!

Dealer will sell you lots of goodies.... don't go 'cheap'...but don't go too crazy either.

Some 'leveling' blocks are handy, neater looking than old barn boards shoved haphazardly under tires... but the boards do a better job IMHO (in my humble opinion)..

Get a good hitch setup. I have a 34' 1999 Excella and the Eaz-Lift Weight Distribution and sway dampening... a MUST have.. do NOT leave dealer without having this setup .. properly. By properly, I mean, trailer should be level and the TV (tow vehicle) must go down the same amount at front and rear fenders or bumpers... that means you have an 'equal' and balanced distribution of the Tongue Weight of the AS to the TV... your kidney's will thank you... your chiropractor will not see you as often.

Make SURE the brakes all work!!! and the trailer lights...

Stay in the dealer's lot..run AC and all the goodies all day and night... get questions answered and problems resolved before you depart... getting serviced at another 'dealer' will be an exercise in sainthood training... or just go back to Missisippi to get things sorted a couple times during warranty.

Get a 'patio mat'... it saves a lot of tracking of junk into your new wheelhouse.

Make sure batteries are new... and have adequate water level... even the 'maintenance free' need water.. unless they are sealed Gel Cell..

Check that the venthood runs and that the stove and other stuff work ... not just once.. cook some spaghetti sauce or Gumbo or red beans and rice...something that takes time...

Take a couple of long showers with water heater on electric then propane... ever run out?

Make sure you can see properly with the mirrors on your TV or get extensions..

Check that you have proper tire air pressure... and that you can loosen the lug nuts...and that you know how to change a tire ... you can't just 'jack' these up like a car... DO NOT jack or lift on the axle.. it will ruin it faster than I10 comes to a screeching halt..

A ton of other tips... I am sure others have better advice... so I'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers..

Peace and happy Airstreamin'

Channing and Phyllis
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Make sure to purchase RV insurance, just heArd a sad story, someone got new AS, drove off set up, went out, leaving awning up, storm came, the awning damage totaled the AS. They had it less than one day
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Just got the call today that my new baby will be ready to pick up next Wednesday. We are sooooo excited! Thinking about staying a couple of days in the Biloxi MS area before heading back to Texas. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 08-07-2013, 04:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There are several nice campgrounds near the dealership. I think Big Biloxi is the closest- just up Hwy 49 from Foley.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Buccaneer State Park. It's a short detour on your way back.

Side note, I'd take Highway 90 along the coast instead of I-10, at least until you get to Slidell. Much nicer scenery.