Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
oakdale , New York
Smile Introducing

hello. my name is lynda. im the newbie who joined last month but had to rejoin due to forgotten username/password. anyway, have 1958 overlander. bought sight unseen on ebay and never owned a trailer. fell in love with her immediately. named her lucille being a big i love lucy fan. had her lowboy flatbedded to my house july 24th. she needs TLC and my partner and i are the right women for the job. since home, we cleaned out all the mouse poop and nests, removed the rug, gaucho in front, and airing out alot. gave her a bath with Joy soap and water. couldnt resist using scrubby pad in some areas and hope i didnt damage much. hooked up city water..no pipes leaks but need to test for pressure. jacked her up and removed tires and starting toremove belly pan to work on her chassey which im told by my chassey friend its not bad. will replace front tongue and the first couple of fet to give extract strength. going to run support pieces in back and fixe bumper. new brakes, shocks, etc. removed all propane lines. replacing water heater. got the access panel door lock to fridge ( dometic ) off and new key made. cant figure out yet about other access panel, no access to the lock from inside....yet!
very handy and have the means for the restoration...slow and steady. looking forward to using the forum and have lots of questions
lucille58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hi Lynda,

Welcome back and congrats on the rig. Post some photographs and brag a bit about your progress/good fortune when you can.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Congrats on your '58 Overlander!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Hi Lynda, Congrats on your new pet!
I just bought a 58 Overlander too! Mine has had some work done on it, updated running gear, wiring and a polish job, but the interior is all original and we are soon to begin the remodel. I haven't started a project thread over in the Overlander section yet, because I have been waiting to get my project ducks in a row, but I will at some point. Hope you do too!
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
oakdale , New York
well congrats to you too. does any of your appliances work? I have dometic frig and a princess oven. they are beautiful but not sure they work and won't for awhile...removed all propane lines and the belly pan. looks pretty good under there...can still see paint on most of the carriage. but replacing front tongue and bumper area.
dont know about the overlander section.will try to find. not alot of computer experience and find this site to be diificult. hey, lucille lost her rainguard above door on her trip home....got an extra???
lucille58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
You will find the forums for specific airstream models here.
Airstream Trailer Forums - Airstream Forums

Vintage Trailer Parts Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers! will probably be your new best friend.
Sorry to hear about the rain guard over the door. You might be able to find a replacement or have one made.

My fridge and original Princess stove work. The fridge is a 70's model I think and I won't be keeping it because it is taller than what I want. I want an under counter model for the modifications I have planned on that side of the galley. The Princess stove will be removed to be painted and reinstalled. We have a good appliance painting company close by.
In fact, we are gutting the trailer, refinishing some of the cabinetry and building (or having built) a dinette in the front.

To keep this project from being a year or two in the making, once we gut it, I am sending it to a trailer shop for any additional needed repairs, plumbing, new flooring (marmoleum) and new paint on the zolatone to freshen it up. My husband is very handy to do these things, I just don't want him to work that hard. So I better make some more money!
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote