Old 01-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Use the SEARCH function for some hideous problems regarding the NEST... essentially some have been sent out with eggshell thin and fragile fibberglass hulls. I pity the dealers who have many of them in their inventory. If you even consider that type of camper, you should know that there are about a dozen different brands currently in production, and many more that have come and gone in the past. Casita, Scamp and Oliver all deserve a close look before you buy, and a fun search of the internet can be had with "fiberglass small trailers" and "scrambled egg rally". Most of these have no dealer network, you buy directly from the factory. They ask current owners to act as ambassadors, and will hook you up with someone near you for a show and tell. Casitas lose $500 per year or less in depreciation., and getting to see a used one before it sells is a race. The low depreciation makes these trailers an almost risk free proposition for first timers.

I could probably sell my 2012 Eddie Bauer 25 for about what I paid for it. It was a limited edition, very popular, and new ones have gone up in price by over 5% every year...

A brand new 25 at the limit of your budget? And if you hate it six months in... you will lose ten thousand or more unloading it. Can you come up with enough cash to cover the shortfall?

IMHO if you don't have a six month cash reserve to cover a layoff, broken leg, etc., don't do it. The government shutdown is affecting private sector businesses like pubs, clothing stores etc. How storm proof is your income stream? I financed part of my purchase - at 3% - and with cash reserves paying over 6% with enough to pay off all my debts and still not be broke.

Airstreams are sexy, but they are a want, not a need. And maintenance and repair costs? Gaagh! Ugly. A fiberglass ding can be repaired at any marina... or even most fiberglass tub repair shops.

Seriously, check out the 22' Oliver.

Live long and prosper.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Davidson , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Use the SEARCH function for some hideous problems regarding the NEST... essentially some have been sent out with eggshell thin and fragile fibberglass hulls. I pity the dealers who have many of them in their inventory. If you even consider that type of camper, you should know that there are about a dozen different brands currently in production, and many more that have come and gone in the past. Casita, Scamp and Oliver all deserve a close look before you buy, and a fun search of the internet can be had with "fiberglass small trailers" and "scrambled egg rally". Most of these have no dealer network, you buy directly from the factory. They ask current owners to act as ambassadors, and will hook you up with someone near you for a show and tell. Casitas lose $500 per year or less in depreciation., and getting to see a used one before it sells is a race. The low depreciation makes these trailers an almost risk free proposition for first timers.

I could probably sell my 2012 Eddie Bauer 25 for about what I paid for it. It was a limited edition, very popular, and new ones have gone up in price by over 5% every year...

A brand new 25 at the limit of your budget? And if you hate it six months in... you will lose ten thousand or more unloading it. Can you come up with enough cash to cover the shortfall?

IMHO if you don't have a six month cash reserve to cover a layoff, broken leg, etc., don't do it. The government shutdown is affecting private sector businesses like pubs, clothing stores etc. How storm proof is your income stream? I financed part of my purchase - at 3% - and with cash reserves paying over 6% with enough to pay off all my debts and still not be broke.

Airstreams are sexy, but they are a want, not a need. And maintenance and repair costs? Gaagh! Ugly. A fiberglass ding can be repaired at any marina... or even most fiberglass tub repair shops.

Seriously, check out the 22' Oliver.

Live long and prosper.
I'm familiar the search function on both forums and the internet in general but, thanks for the input.

I've read the nest threads. There appears to be only one that had serious issues with the fiberglass and several with some dry/orange peeled spots in the gel coat. Other than that and a few leaking windows it looks like basically the same problems any new airstream can exhibit. I also believe that AS made it right for the person with the flawed shell so not terribly worried there.

I'm familiar with the Casita, Scamp and Oliver. Of those I like the Oliver but, they appear to be in the same price range as the 25' Sig or higher. I was quoted about $65K for a new Int Sig 25FB. The Legacy Elite II starts at $54K and goes up with options. I'm assuming Oliver doesn't knock much off their asking price since they are factory direct but, that might be a flawed assumption on my part.

If I'm going with something as small as a Casita I'd probably just go with the nest. Unless there is a good reason not to, besides the one unit withe the bad glass

And maybe I wasn't clear a brand new 25' is nearing my self-imposed limit of what I want to spend for a toy. I have my finances well in order but, again thanks for your concern.

hotrod2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Don't overlook buying used.

The very best AS values are to be had in buying used.

As I have previously written, I can not recommend enough the option of finding a used AS and then making it your own. Consider the following advantages:
  • Not only will you save tons of $$, but
  • most of the many bullet list problems that come with a new trailer have already been taken care of by previous owner (a HUGE deal, trust me!) And
  • you will have an absolute blast making it your very own, unique getaway. And,
  • you can easily end up with a trailer that is better in almost every way than what comes fresh from the factory. AND
  • you will know your trailer inside and out.

The only downsides: I see two -- 1) it isn't "new" and 2)it will take some time/money to get it where you really want it. (but that is also true even with new)

The newer the AS, the more likely it is to be close to it's original price, sad for you when buying, but great for you if/when you ever sell.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Davidson , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
The very best AS values are to be had in buying used.

As I have previously written, I can not recommend enough the option of finding a used AS and then making it your own. Consider the following advantages:
  • Not only will you save tons of $$, but
  • most of the many bullet list problems that come with a new trailer have already been taken care of by previous owner (a HUGE deal, trust me!) And
  • you will have an absolute blast making it your very own, unique getaway. And,
  • you can easily end up with a trailer that is better in almost every way than what comes fresh from the factory. AND
  • you will know your trailer inside and out.

The only downsides: I see two -- 1) it isn't "new" and 2)it will take some time/money to get it where you really want it. (but that is also true even with new)

The newer the AS, the more likely it is to be close to it's original price, sad for you when buying, but great for you if/when you ever sell.
And I've considered that idea. Unfortunately it seems the asking prices on 3-4 year old ones look to be close enough to new prices that when you factor in the differences in financing rates from new to used it shakes out to be very similar if not more money.

Obviously if you are paying cash that is not an issue but, I'd prefer not to hit my reserves quite that hard. I'm paying off my wife's vehicle in the next few months and my plan is to allocate the funds we have been putting towards it into an AS with whatever down payment is required to get into a similar payment for the 5 years.

I figure I'm handy. I can do metal fab, electrical, plumbing and mechanical. I don't mind doing the sorting out if it puts me in a position that I have a 3-4 year newer airstream for similar money to a used one with the only difference being paying less in interest and a little sweating and swearing on my end.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Davidson , NC
Also I had the price quote on the 25' wrong a few posts ago. That number was on the 23FB and a used 25' they had at the time. I'm thinking it was right around $80K on a new 25'.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
My wife loves our new Airstream. Yours will, too. I promise.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #21
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Hi,

My wife and I have always talked about getting an airstream ... < snip >
Good morning... I'd like to jump in here with a few comments; some of which may run counter to conventional camping wisdom.

Linda and I had admired Airstreams for decades but had never seriously considered owning one. Then, just over three years ago, we had the opportunity to buy a used, but virtually new 23D International Serenity at a great price. We sold the 17' Casita that we had used for six years and hopped on the deal.

We were familiar with the small corner bed and the small bath area and thought we wouldn't like it at all. That attitude turned out to be profoundly wrong. We found the generous front lounge seating area was absolutely great, and it just made sense... we spend very little actual time in the bath area, but loads of time "up front" in the lounge area... good trade.

Linda luxurates in "The Queen's Chambers" (rear corner bed) and I sleep on the pull-out sofa/bed up front... the nightly conversion takes less than sixty-seconds. We love the separate sleeping areas.

We take one long trip (4 to 5 weeks) each year, and last year we decided that when we returned home, we would start sniffing around at a 25-footer. Then, the very first night out, we both had a blinding flash of the obvious: the 23D is PERFECT for the two of us. Great layout for us, relatively lightweight and easy to tow, drop-dead gorgeous... what's not to love?

This is just our experiejce of course, but in our little world, the 23D is a keeper! All the best in your deliberations.

Rob

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
I really, really loved the Globetrotter. Gorgeous inside and out. Has everything I want. I went to a dealer, prepared to spend an entire afternoon just sitting inside and pretending to camp, and move around and do all the things I would do as an owner.
And then the dealer made an offhand remark that stuck with me:
"You know, all the Airstream models are basically a Flying Cloud with slight differences in interior design."
Huh?
I looked at the Flying Cloud. How about that, it is an Airstream too. Has a table, seats, sink, toilet, bed, walls, heating and cooling, windows. Just arranged a bit differently.
Wow.
I bought the Flying Cloud. Saved thousands over a Globetrotter. Happy camper, no pun intended. Wait, very much intended. Woo-hoo, I own an Airstream!
You can too.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Monrovia , California
Its a really smart idea to rent, check out Outdoorsy for renting any RV. We rented a 22 Sport before we bought a 19 AS. I also only wanted an Airstream. BTW our tow vehicle is a Lexus LX570 the Lexus branded Landcruiser. Its a very good TV. Only you know what your needs are, find the combination that best meets your needs now. Life has too many variables to predict what you might need later.
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay0 View Post
Its a really smart idea to rent, check out Outdoorsy for renting any RV. We rented a 22 Sport before we bought a 19 AS. I also only wanted an Airstream. BTW our tow vehicle is a Lexus LX570 the Lexus branded Landcruiser. Its a very good TV. Only you know what your needs are, find the combination that best meets your needs now. Life has too many variables to predict what you might need later.
Renting a vintage AS (from Outdoorsy) was likely the best thing we did re AS shopping. We learned a lot that week from the unit itself and our friendly neighbors at Virginia Highland Haven.
The result? Our 2018 25ft IS RB queen. Couldn't be happier. The dogs love it too!
That said.. Try those other smaller trailers, or even a 23 AS. Everything you experience will add up to a better decision.
Best of luck!
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have a 2009 25FB Classic. Like all of the other AS owners. We love it. We travel at least 4 months a year seeing this great country. We have over 40,000 miles in it This winter we are up dating the insides to go another 20 years. You meet the best people RVing. Yes we have had a hiccup or two but thats part of RVing. Welcome to the family.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Here is my opinion on your situation.

We started with a slightly used 22 Sport. This trailer is considerably larger than the Nest, and has a dry bath, a decent bed and a table, and great windows that open all 4 sides. In my opinion a much better smaller trailer than the Nest.

We had the 22 for 2 years and liked it fine for 2 of us, or 2 plus a dog, or 2 plus 1 adult guest. There were some things we didn't like, such as having to wake up the person on the aisle to climb over them a couple of times to use the restroom each night. Laying prostrate on the floor to get under the bed to the storage, or the low point drains. And,the water capacity was too small for 3 people for 2 days. But all in all the bed was really comfortable, the space was nice, the bathroom space was really good, and we had fun.

The Nest just doesn't hit those same features that made us enjoy the 22.

We had said that "someday" we would get a bigger trailer for longer trips and to be able to sleep 4 adults, or one day maybe grandkids.

When our 22 was in an accident, we traded it in for a 25 FC rear bed twin. New. We got a decent deal, and we really like all the larger amenities on the 25.

For your situation, if you want to buy once, buy the larger trailer. If you want to start small, buy the 22 sport.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Did exactly what you described...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Ok so, after thinking this over for a pretty good while I think we have a general plan. We've given up on the rental idea and would rather put that money toward a down payment.

We've weighed out a few different models ranging from the Nest to pre-owned late model Land Yachts and everything in between so, a pretty wide spectrum to say the least. Initially we thought our sweet spot was going to be a 23FB Int Sig but, after thinking it over we felt like the dinette was a bit tight, we didn't like how it faced away from the windows and we didn't like how the full bath in the back blocked a lot of windows.

At that point we thought an option might be to go smaller and give up a dedicated bed (Nest) or just a little bit bigger to a 25FB. We actually liked the Nest more than we thought we would but, the pricing on it is fairly insane in my opinion especially for a refrigerator that can basically only hold 2 steaks and a six pack and for it to not come with a TV.

Which brings us to the 25FB International Signature. I do like the layout with the longer bench, 2 big windows and vista views in the lounge. We're Ok with the smaller bathroom and losing the oven + microwave versus the 25RB. It is getting up near the top end of our budget but, not close enough to be a problem.

The problem with the 25' may or may not be the tow vehicle but, I'm working on sorting that out. The opinions seem to vary wide and far on here as to what is a functional TV for a given size AS.

So at this point we are leaning toward the 25fb, any input or reasons to avoid this layout?
Hi Hotrod, reading your post I had dejavu moment. We decided to get an Airstream FC23FB and bought a new 2016 VW Touareg TDI after the fix was finalized.

Before we signed the deal on the 23FB we took one more look at a FC25RB twin and switched because of the cramped dinette of the 23 but didnt consider the higher tongue weight of the 25. Next day we called the dealer and switched back to the original FC23FB plan. After two trips our concerns about the dinette were apparent. We loved everything about the Airstream experience but not the dinette. Thats when I started searching the Forum and found others with Cayennes and Touaregs pulling 25-27 AS successfully, some with reinforced hitches by CanAm and others.

Fast forward to December and a trip back to our original dealer to discuss our options. Are we crazy? we asked the salesperson. No, it happens more than you think was the reply. He said Im going to help you fix this but only once so make sure you get what you want this time. We ordered a 2019 27 Globetrotter before the Jan 1 $4K price increase and traded the 23. Yes, it hurt $$ wise but Im a year away from retirement and God knows how much time weve got left on this earth.

Advice? No - just sharing our experience! *Your mileage may vary... Good luck making your decision!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A876FDE0-A703-411E-9C6A-453F51C21B75.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	332425  
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 20' Flying Cloud
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***
Get what you want ... none of us can evaluate your position. My only caveat is to factor in the depreciation if you decide to sell or trade in whatever your choice is - to go with your other option ...

Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 2-dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote