Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #1

interested in the Basecamp

I just registered and it is just a matter of time before we buy our first Airstream. We even went to Jackson Center, Ohio to see the factory. We are 57 years of age, ex-hikers., tenters who love the 16ft. Bambi but feel the Basecamp may be more for us since we consider ourselves "rugged". Is there anyone out there who has a BaseCamp? Is it really for those who haul toys?Anyone out there feel that the 16ft. Bambi is a better value for the extra expense. Where can I rent an Airstream like these in the U.S.?

Thanks, Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Use the Search function for starters ...

Hi Lloyd:

Now that you are registered, you can use the friendly Search function. Click on the word "Search" towards the upper right, type "Basecamp " in the blank, hit "GO", and a list of posts about the Basecamp will appear. Read them at your leisure, and enjoy.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi loyd,

welcome to the forums!

i've also included this link to the basecamp forum on this site (you'll find it eventually but this will take you there with a click) http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/

i'd be willing to bet you'll be better off with the bambi once you start looking into it because the bambi will serve you much better in the long run, but by all means browse the forums, there's a ton of great info here.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
First - we do not own a Basecamp. But we saw our first Basecamp only yesterday at a dealership, and I was very impressed! Very cool - would be great for someone who carried camping gear and/or bikes - and there would be room in the Basecamp to carry bikes, which has always been a struggle for anyone pulling a trailer. And you could park that thing just about anywhere - probably tow it with just about anything.

We just came back from boondocking in the White Mountains, NH (granted in the AS mother ship), but I could see how pulling a Basecamp into an undeveloped boondocking area and using that as a base camp (gosh) from which to hike/bike/kayak would be very appealing.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Hi Lloyd,

Welcome to the forums! My wife and I bought a Base Camp back in November. We've been tent campers for a long time and wanted to get off the ground. I'm 49 and my better half (three quarters?) is 52, so we're in similar boats, age wise. There were a few bugs we had to work out with the trailer, but all in all we love it. The only toy we're carrying is our canoe, which rides on the ladder racks atop our 2500 series GMC van, but we do pack a lot of camping gear in the trailer.

Whether the Base Camp or Bambi is better for you is something you'll have to work out, nobody here knows how you like/want to camp better than you. We like the Base Camp because it's a lot closer to tenting than RVing, and a heck of a lot better than a pop-up (at least for us).

We'll be out in your neck of the woods in early August when we make our pilgrimage to Jackson Center. Give us a shout if you'd like to get together and see our rig up close.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi Loyd and welcome in.

You forgot a third option. The new Safari Sport. Not alot more $ than a base camp and alot less than a Bambi. Lighter than a Bambi too.

If you don't need the toy toting aspect of the Base camp run Safari Sport in the search function.

Please be sure and go to a dealer and crawl all over the Units. Make sure you two comfortably fit in the bed and on the "throne". Spend all the time you need. Good luck.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Lloyd,

Welcome to the fourms.

Recently another member lost their BaseCamp in a fire at their dealer in Chicago. They still had the Kelty tent and were offering to sell it for a very good price.

It may still be for sale if you do go for a BaseCamp.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Lloyd---If you're a visual person like me, spend an afternoon in the basecamp and then the bambi at your local AS dealer. I did this recently. Think about what you want to take with you on your camping trips, what you want the trailer to do well for you (In my mind, the kitchen and bath functions are very different between the two). This sort of evaluation using your criteria will help you come to the right trailer for you. Both have great cool and cute factors in spades.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

I saw the Basecamp at a dealership,

It was most likely the coolest utility trailer ever. I bet I could have some big time fun with a Basecamp. But it weighs almost as my Argosy 20' , and it doesn't have a kitchen or bath. The beds didn't look very comfortable. Do they have furnaces?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
It was most likely the coolest utility trailer ever. I bet I could have some big time fun with a Basecamp. But it weighs almost as my Argosy 20' , and it doesn't have a kitchen or bath. The beds didn't look very comfortable. Do they have furnaces?
No furnace, we carry a small electric space heater, not that we'll ever use it. The Basecamp mindset is very different than a traditional Airstream, ya kinda have to lose a lot of the whole creature comforts thing and think more along the lines of tent camping. The bed is actually quite comfortable, even for me and I'm over 6' 2" tall and weigh about 250 pounds. Though we tow with my van, we could probably tow it easily with my wife's Subaru Forester.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd cicett
I just registered and it is just a matter of time before we buy our first Airstream. We even went to Jackson Center, Ohio to see the factory. We are 57 years of age, ex-hikers., tenters who love the 16ft. Bambi but feel the Basecamp may be more for us since we consider ourselves "rugged". Is there anyone out there who has a BaseCamp? Is it really for those who haul toys?Anyone out there feel that the 16ft. Bambi is a better value for the extra expense. Where can I rent an Airstream like these in the U.S.?

Thanks, Lloyd
Try this, before you go out to buy your next rv, sit down individually and makes lists of what you want from your rv, how much you will use it, what kind of T/V will you use, how much will you spend, how much will you haul, etc. etc.

Then get together and compare lists and merge them into one list of objectives. Now match your RV choice to the list. The results might surprise you.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote