Old 04-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
I have also see one made with old worn out large diameter tires, like tractor tires stacked up. You dig a hole and stack the tires in so that when you are done you have a "tank" shape of stacked tires. Buried they last forever and the tiny cracks between the tires allow it to seep gradually out.

JFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Here's the thing, Mike. A "weekend" trailer is different than a FT trailer. What you are really talking about is what folks here call a "getaway" place. The ticklish thing is designing things so you can be away for weeks at a time--including the dead of winter--without having problems.

I suggest dividing the project into systems. The first priority would seem to be your sleeping system (the alumi-tent concept). Once you have a horizontal place to rest your head, the next component of good sleep is usually heat and/or AC. So, let's say you whip sleeping and HVAC into shape. The next priority is up to you. Water, cooking, showering, sitting, thinking, drumming, lighting, etc.

In my experience, getting a "system" done is kind of morale booster. The trailer feels semi-useful when you can get a good night's sleep in it... and the more time you spend in it, the more you learn about it. More time "in country" leads to better design decisions.

Good luck.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 24
Toronto , Ontario
Smile I see the light...

As it turns out..the trailer is in pretty good shape. I had to get a crank handle to lower the stabilizer jacks.
Thanks to this posting, I've determined what I need AND what I need to do, and so far so good. The floor and frame are in great shape, I've only needed to patch up the floor in a couple of spots, I fixed all the window handles and screens and frames, sealed and painted where necessary. Took out any and all parts I could and repainted, cleaned, sealed, repaired. or washed everything. Dry silicone for the tambour doors and everything is coming out like new! . The original stove and fridge are fine..i may refurbish and re install. Curtains and new flooring are going back in. I'm fixing up the plumbing system with a new pex pipe and a water heater..and its good to go! I'll work on heat at the end of the summer, and anything else can wait...gone camping! I'm sure this trailer and where I am parked, will be able to sustain me and the things I need and love... for a while...
Thanks again to all. I won't be checking this thread any more, but I'll post on some other forums.
MikeDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Sounds like your under way then. No need to abandon your thread. You can keep posting updates on your work to the trailer here along with photos (hint: we love photos).
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 24
Toronto , Ontario
Smile Pics coming up..and another Thank You!

I'm a weekend or two away from finishing up the inside the way I want it, and will post photos.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2008 23' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Looking forward to seeing pictures. Congratulations on your "new" trailer and welcome to the forums.
Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod"
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler" (

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
TAC- SK 23223
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 24
Toronto , Ontario
I have some pics!

Its been a while...I finished a while ago, just haven't had a chance to post pics. All systems are is a link to the pics.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Well done, Mike!

Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote

1976, argosy, renovate, self reliant, restoration