Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1961 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome, while your story is unique it's actually very common here so you will fit right in. Most of us would not consider ourselves RV people either. Most airstreamers refer to theirs as travel trailers.

Many folks here have used them to escape impending natural disasters as well as to escape their normal routine.

Your trailer looks beautiful, enjoy.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Doesn't matter how you got here, but you're family now! Welcome!

Follow our blog! http://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Welcome, Aluminaut! Yep, you got the BUG! And you are some form of a prepper also! I do understand your initial reasoning, and given where you live....I think it is very sound reasoning. Pack that baby up with a few buckets of Wise or Mountain House, t.p., cases of water, etc. and you are ready for evac! Don't forget first aid supplies!

Then, pack it up (on top of the prepper supplies), with comforts of home that also work for camping....and you are ready to camp, explore, and/or escape when ready.

One word of advice .... Try to resist the desire to buy all sorts of gifts for your new baby, as you will find out quickly.... You will buy stuff you really don't want or need.

Get out there and have fun! Don't wait for the disaster. That baby is made first and foremost for fun and travel! Enjoy!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
We used our Airstream as an escape refuge in our own driveway when the air conditioning in our house failed at the start of a Texas 4th of July weekend. It kept us cool and comfortable for the four days it took to get the service man out and for him to find the correct part.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hi guy, yours was the most entertaining intro I have read ever. I was smiling right from the start. Now that you know the name of your newly acquired disease I can tell you the only way to cure or even minimize the side effects is to use said escape pod regularly. Now remember this new tool is not a toy, we mean serious business here, you must and you will become proficient in all aspects of operating your new pod and to do this you must use often. Your logic makes all the sense in the world to all of us how are afflicted with the same illness. One major side effect that you may notice is lots of smiles and waves even from complete strangers, not to worry, you will get used to it in time and you may find yourself smiling for no particular reason while out on training runs.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminaut View Post
I'll leave you all with a nice pic of my Airstream...thanks again, for the welcoming words!

NICE!
Welcome!
Old 01-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Welcome Aluminaut, how did that cool name get overlooked so long.

I really enjoyed you introductory post. But do think as you use your new escape pod in the process of get familure with it, that you will find that there is so much more in having it than you may have considered.
Fun, travel adventures, the ability to stay in new areas, very cool people you will be meeting along the way.

Stick around and let us know how it goes for you.

I full time in my 345 Moho, and am building a base camp at a property that is new to me here in the fl panhandle. I find it comforting that I can evacuate in my home if needed.
Cheers Richard
Old 01-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Welcome Aluminaut, how did that cool name get overlooked so long.

覧覧覧snip覧覧

I full time in my 345 Moho, and am building a base camp at a property that is new to me here in the fl panhandle. I find it comforting that I can evacuate in my home if needed.
Cheers Richard

Richard, you raise a very important point葉hat we can evacuate in our 蘇ome if needed. That is one serious advantage to having a ready-to-go Airstream! Home is wherever you are!
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Aluminaut: Geez, what a great photo of your Airstream. Thanks for posting it. It looks perfect. I bet you won't get buyer's remorse at all. You can hook up that Airstream and travel anywhere in the country you want to go, and do so quite efficiently.

Here we are in northwestern New York on our way to the Maine coast. We met other very nice Airstreamers who stay in this park all summer. It was lovely. We decided to stay longer, easy to do with an Airstream.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409 Massena Airstream (Small).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	302268  
Old 01-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Beautiful picture of your trailer Aluminant. You know the saying...practice makes perfect. Plan several prepper trips to the Sierras, beaches, Yosemite, Death valley. Book early and have fun prepping. Not a RV guy?.......you are now! Enjoy your new toy
Old 01-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZTOO View Post
Congrats with the new trailer!! Nothing wrong in admitting your a prepper as it's one of those skillets most of us hope to never implement. We hope that the QC on your trailer is better than some have reported on this forum.......
thanks for the welcome! when you mention "QC", does that mean quality control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
.....We have been Airstreaming for twelve years now. We hope that you find as much enjoyment as we have in the Airstreaming thing. We live in the Florida Panhandle which has a propensity for hurricanes. Our Aistream is also our escape pod. When a storm is looming, we pack up the Airstream and get ready to evacuate. If we decide to ride out the storm at home, there are often power interruptions. We use our generator to power the Airstream, and are able to sleep in air conditioned comfort until power is restored.......
hi, Brian...thanks for the nice welcome! that is the general appeal isn't it? as far as disaster prep goes, i mean. the airstream acts as a nice storage unit for all the supplies you'll need....the if disaster strikes, you can just hitch up and leave...or stay where you are. regardless , everything you'll need is right there with you in that trailer. truly an escape pod!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Tx
Prepper seems to have acquired an undeserved negative connotation...

Really it just means you recognized that you or your loved ones could suffer due to Nature痴 capriciousness (and Mans propensity to respond poorly to chaos and uncertainty) and decided to prepare in order to mitigate that danger and improve your odds.

As sentient creatures it痴 only natural to want to live when a threat to your life can be conceptualized....

Welcome to the club of people who don稚 want to just give up and die lol...

...and of course welcome to th Airstream Community!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome... you can become an “RV guy” or let the aluminum soak in and be an Airstreamers. Up to u.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Welcome, while your story is unique it's actually very common here so you will fit right in. Most of us would not consider ourselves RV people either. Most airstreamers refer to theirs as travel trailers.

Many folks here have used them to escape impending natural disasters as well as to escape their normal routine.

Your trailer looks beautiful, enjoy.
yeah, I'm coming to find that out here...that my intention's aren't so unique. it seems I've found a lot of company here in that!it's great to know that I can further my knowledge here from the wealth of experience that comes through this forum. ...and thanks for the info on terms. I'll use Travel Trailers over RVs.

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf1977 View Post
Doesn't matter how you got here, but you're family now! Welcome!
thanks for the warm welcome, lonewolf1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
......One word of advice .... Try to resist the desire to buy all sorts of gifts for your new baby, as you will find out quickly.... You will buy stuff you really don't want or need.

Get out there and have fun! Don't wait for the disaster. That baby is made first and foremost for fun and travel! Enjoy!
advice taken! I've come to find out quickly...that if I have some idea of a product I want, looking through here always either affirms a good idea or immediately brings me back down to reality....and not to worry, it's quickly looking like there'll be a lot of fun to be had over just prepping