Old 02-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind
Below is a link to TomW's web site on the refurb of his Overlander. Lot's of pics of floor repair. Hope this helps.

1967 Airstream Overlander
That's a fantastic story :-)
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Thanks guys. The link of the other 76 Ambassador shows a unit that is identical to ours. Same fabrics, layout, wallpaper, etc. My husband is on his way to bring her home now!

Yesterday my mom gave me an awesome chenile bedspread that has a gold base and a white kind of tropical pattern. It'll be the first thing going in once I get it cleaned up.

I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend...

Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
So we brought home the 76 Ambassador today. I am very happy, but we dove right in starting to clean it up and I forgot to take before pics of the interior. We've ripped out the carpet and I've started washing the walls. I'm going to go look for cork tiles tomorrow to do the floor in. It was pretty well maintained, totally original. There are 2 small spots of wood rot is all and it seems as though everything works. It is just really dirty, like there is a film on every surface, dust and dirt in every cranny and lots of the plastic interior pieces have yellowed. The light covers are horrendous, so I'll have to come up with lighting alternatives. I'm trying to clean the inside, one small section at a time with a scrub brush and water w/bleach. I'm so psyched! I can't believe I own an Airstream!!! It's going to be so cool!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I wish I were in Florida cleaning a trailer instead of being in South Dakota looking at two feet of snow in my yard. Good luck with the project. Thanks for the update.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Congrats Megan! How exciting!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by megan View Post
I've been married for too long to think a full size is comfortable for the two of us!
Hey Megan, we have been married 37 years and have a king bed at home, but our little Safari only has a full bed. Worried a little that it would be too small, but guess what - we like it. Luck to you in your search. Susan
Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
So we had my family come by tonight to see Rosie in all her glory. It is so cute when its dark and the lights are on. My mom and dad and brother and sister in law came over and we listened to music, drank and dreamed of trips to come. We all fit so well, with very little crowding. I even found that my husband and I were very comfortable in the middle goucho.

Here are some cute pics...
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
So we brought home the 76 Ambassador today. I am very happy, but we dove right in starting to clean it up and I forgot to take before pics of the interior.
Yay!! It's quite a thrill, bringing it home fore the first time, isn't it? Congratulations, and we look forward to your saga with your new-to-you trailer!

You might want to go to the forums list, find you year and model, and start your own thread where folks can read your questions and see your photos, and comment to you. Up top you'll see a radio button with "forums". Go in there, then way down to the bottom of that list and you'll see all the models, and within them all the years. Many people like to use that to keep all their work and even travels together.

Quote:
We've ripped out the carpet and I've started washing the walls. I'm going to go look for cork tiles tomorrow to do the floor in. It was pretty well maintained, totally original. There are 2 small spots of wood rot is all and it seems as though everything works. It is just really dirty, like there is a film on every surface, dust and dirt in every cranny and lots of the plastic interior pieces have yellowed. The light covers are horrendous, so I'll have to come up with lighting alternatives. I'm trying to clean the inside, one small section at a time with a scrub brush and water w/bleach. I'm so psyched! I can't believe I own an Airstream!!! It's going to be so cool!!!
I would like to suggest that you take your time, start making lists of things to do, and parts to buy or replace, then prioritize. There are always a zillion things to get and do, and rather than get overwhelmed, I find it's handy to have a plan, and be able to shop for what you need.

You'll also find tons of info here to read, since many of the things you will want to do have been done before. There's a great search function that includes a Google version, just lookup top in the first dark blue horizontal bar, it's right there. But don't be afraid to ask, you'll find lots of very knowledgeable people ready with answers and suggestions.

Above all, have fun! There's more to hainvg an Airstream than cleaning and fixing it!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Welcome. Good luck on this one if you want it, and on the next one if this one falls through for some reason.
We found our Airstream in October, but couldn't get it then for various reasons (mostly didn't want to take the money out of savings in 2010). Figured we'd lost it.
Then, come January, I called about it again never dreaming it really would still be available. It was. It's ours now. So, things work out.
Happy hunting (or buying, if this is THE ONE).

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Megan, Thanks for the pics. I think we all like seeing them with the lights on at night. Maybe you could treat your family to a dinner party in your drive way! How fun!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
We had a blast last night, having drinks and talking in the airstream last night. Then this morning, Adam got up and pressure washed it and my mom and I continued the cleaning. We finished the living room, washing all of the walls, windows, and ceiling. I've gotten through the top surface of the kitchen and now I need to get inside the cabinets-ewww. I'm sure it'll take another few days to clean the bedroom and bathroom.

I love the bathroom! It feels so big and the floral wallpaper is adorable. I love how the window shade has the same pattern on it.

This project will be a long one. We have to get it clean and the flooring in ASAP, but after that, it will only be a matter of functional maintenance for awhile. We drained our savings to buy this baby and have to start using it as an office ASAP. We do happen to have a camping trip planned in 2 weeks, but I don't know that we'll be using Rosie that soon. She certainly functions as a bar for now.

I set up a little bar area and snapped a picture...
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Sounds like so much fun! I think I will go sit in my AS now! Check to see if I have any project to do.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Take a look at this.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...nfo-70629.html

It is a thread on Retrobright. It is a way to brighten up the yellowed parts
Old 02-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Megan,

the Retrobright formula works well. I can say that from experience. We are headed down to TopSail SP on the 20th of Feb. If you want another 'stream to camp with. (two adults, two kids 10 & 12, and on dog)

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1976 ambassador