Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
lake worth , Florida
I'm new and in the market

hello folks, my name is Tim and i live in south florida. due to economic changes and my overall dissatifaction with alot of diffrent social trends i am changing my lifestyle drasticly.

my house is currenly in forclosure so eventualy i will need a place to stay and rather than pay rent somewhere ive decide to get a camper.

i have always loved the look of a retro style camper and have not decided what brand i want but i will probably let my wallet decide for me. i am looking for a fixer upper somthing 30'+

i am a mechanic by trade and own my own shop that is equiped with lots of tools and full size fridge and cable tv and internet i will be moving my washer and dryer to the shop soon so i plan to park the camper in one of my buddys yards under a shade tree and run the 110 and garden hose to it. till i fix it enough to be road worthy.

i have already gotten tons of useful info from this site plus im totally inspired by some of the camping picture cause im a take it easy kind of guy and love grillin and siting around drinking beers so getting a camper seems like the next logical step.

i have a 1 ton 87 crew cab dually with a 454 big block for my TV so buying a camper that is a little heavier than another is a non issue.

really i just wanna not get burned. im currently looking at a 1970 31' silver streak for $1000 im also looking at a 1974 31' avion for $1800

i havent seen eather one in person but i plan to see and posibly purchase the avion tomorrow.

here is some pics of the silver stream and one of my truck cause i know you guys like pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture%20223.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	80648  
Attached Images

budgetstperf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums. If you have a large enough shop, you can park the trailer inside, or under a lean-to next to, or behind the shop. The air conditioner would work less if you did that. Sewer hookups could be through the washout access for the shop, and a 30 amp 120 volt RV hookup is pretty easy to install.
Many of us have had to leave our houses and move into our Airstreams over the last couple of years. It's an eye-opening experience, and causes you to re-think everything you thought you couldn't live without. It will be different for you, as you won't have to find places to store your tools and equipment while you are living in the trailer.
Oh, you might catch some flack about using the dually as a tow vehicle, but if you're just going to tow the trailer to its new home and nowhere else, it's not critical.

overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Graham , North Carolina
Overlander thats a little good info except the dumping into the washout of the shop. You could get in real trouble if it doesn't go to the actual sewer. The rest sounds like good advice form real life experience
Take care
"AIR 17559"

wear it out, don't rust it out

jpeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
lake worth , Florida
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Oh, you might catch some flack about using the dually as a tow vehicle, but if you're just going to tow the trailer to its new home and nowhere else, it's not critical.
hey thanks for the welcome and the good advice guys

my shop is only 600 sq feet and parking is limited plus there are no drains for sewage at my shop cause i don't have my own bathroom, there is a comunity bathroom.

however my buddy has 2 plus acres and lots of shade trees.

hey overlander can you elaborate on the dually comment, i also have a 84 3/4 ton long bed chevy pickup with a 454 bigblock.
i got a thing for these old trucks and horsepower

here is a pic of the shop with two of my hondas squezed in
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	april2009 108.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	80660  
budgetstperf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry to hear about your house, but it sounds like you have enough options available to begin a real adventure! Good luck to you!
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut

This is a checklist here and I don't know how to post it, but I'm sure someone will. Big concern with an older camper is the flooring, it has a real tendency to rot. Check around the perimeter of the camper with an icepick making sure the plywood flooring is solid, the 2 place that tend to rot first are under the bathroom and inside the front door.

Anything you buy will need work, just how much? You really can't tell the condition of the frame until you drop the bellypan. So most times you dont really know what you getting into until it's too late. Since you are going be living in irt shortly you don't have a lot of time to do an entensive rehab.

Good luck,

bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
lake worth , Florida
hey all just got back from checkin out that 31' 1974 avion leGrande in the pourin rain. what a pile of crap!! i went there in the truck cash in hand ready to make a deal. i looked in side and there were no signs of rich dark wood cabinets. but inside did not concern me as much as the body being tourn up or the rusted frame in the rear. if i were to try and pull that thing home the toilet would have fallen out the bottom on to the road while driving. any way it was only an hour round trip and i need to see some junk so i will appreciate a nice one when i find it.

ive decided to save my money and fix some projects i already have going and continue the search when i have about 5k to spend and get a nice one that is ready to roll or needs very little. i can deal with needs curtains or some reapolstering or even needs a couple tires but i got to many other projects to be messing with junk. here are a cople pictures and one A/S motor home. sorry for the bad pics but it was raining and i was in a hurry to get out of there once i saw how much work that avion needed. and a pic of my 84 3/4 ton big block truck i got a week ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	may09 097.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	80690   Click image for larger version

Name:	may09 098.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	80691  

Name:	may09 101.jpg