4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
What would all the truckers and people who pull their sleds and ATV's in their fancy enclosed trailers all winter have to say about that
How right you are . . . .

Though where might someone take an AS in snow country, unless it was away from snow? One is pretty much confined to rest areas, maybe trailheads, and driveways...plowed terra ferma. Bob, where might you be planning on travelling to?

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:41 PM   #16
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I would like to go to the Yellowstone area this winter, I read that that is the only time the wolves come out and get close.

Also to do a little skiing would be great.

Thought about getting the trailer there in Nov-Dec.
I understand the roads are plowed. we would stay there a few weeks and see where we could go from there.

I have driven a lot in the snow lived in VT for a while.

We would like to also go south in warm weather before spring.

Bob

These 31' are looking kind of interesting because of the rear bedroom room for a queen.

No one has said what other smaller units would have a rear bed?

Old 08-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
If I was going where there are wolves, I'd sure want an Airstream to hide in! All kidding aside, I would recommend the 70's and 80's to you since they are the first ones with two holding tanks. I paid $6000.00 for my 78, 24ft Argosy in beautiful condition. I bought it from an honest dealer who helped me with a basic run through before I pulled it home. He's in El Paso, Texas, so I don't think that would work for you. The 70's AS are lighter, but have stood the test of time for the most part. Pay less and have money left over for new AC or water heater or whatever eventually gives out. I could not have asked for a better trailer than this 78, but I got to look at it and had the option of backing out if I didn't like it. I drove 700+ miles to see it and fell in love. Looking is half the fun, owning is the other half. We pulled our Argosy with an F150 before getting the Tundra. No problems with either. Weighed the trailer on a truck scale at 3,600 lbs, empty. Probably have a maximum of 500 lbs of stuff in it now, but the Tundra V8 pulls it like there is nothing back there. Good luck hunting.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
No one has said what other smaller units would have a rear bed?
I recall a friend of mine had a mid 70's Tradewind (25') that had a rear bed. That was a fine trailer. What about the Globetrotters from the late 70's/early 80's . . . I'm sure someone with a deeper knowledge of AS models will chime in.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield54
I recall a friend of mine had a mid 70's Tradewind (25') that had a rear bed. That was a fine trailer. What about the Globetrotters from the late 70's/early 80's . . . I'm sure someone with a deeper knowledge of AS models will chime in.

All depends on the definition of a rear bed

Our 69 Globe Trotter has the "Double" bed - but we are talking 48" wide here. So unless you fit into that American Food Norm (which most of us do not ) then the vintage double is not for you to share - unless of course the sharing is a fleeting moment of passion (which some of us still have once and a while )

If the AC is not quite working to optimum and you are hot - in the sense of being hot due to climate it can be a bit tight at the best of times. You could make the sliders for the goucho longer - but then you would have a diffictult time getting in to the bathroom. And the bed would have to be made up every day.

Without the dogs the double is fine for Peter and I, but add a big dog to the equation and it is too much or should I say not enough room. Small dogs and cats would be fine but not your 70+pounders.

I think the route you are on with the 25 Soveriegn would be an excellent choice. Not too much work as in the vintage. A little heavier but you have the TV for it anyway. You have the reintro of the solid oak interior. Nice mid bath and rear bedroom if you can find one. They are out there if you are patient.

If not the 60's Overlander would be a good choice. Either with the twin singles or the double. But then you could also retrofit the front couch to be a massive king in the front and use the mid singles as a place to hang out for card playing, watching TV or even installing a pilot post Marine style table for meals when you are not eatin outside. For Short runs where you are not camped out for lengthy periods the singles are great - with the couch and table up front -giving you the best of both worlds depending on the style of camping you are doing at that particular moment.

And ps how much room do you really need...... when you are not sleeping

good luck in your search - and as people have said when you find the right one - go with your gut at the moment - and trust us - it will not be your first or your last - so you have many more to test out all your theories.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Hay just and FYI look under the 1973 A/S overlander pics on left that is my trailer with the microwave bungied to the table aint that cool ...SAM opps click on link in post by carolstream

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Top Four places to look..

Herewith are Four web sites offering the most Airstreams to look at, though by no means all there are... I Haven't included E-Bay, though they have some good ones, some fraudulent ones, and some wrecks described as "Good condition.."

1. The Classifieds here... Relatively high trust factor from long-term members, not so with new members...
2. www.rvtraderonline.com Search for "Travel Trailers" and by brand for Airstream and Argosy. Limit to 1960 through 2001 to avoid new dealer listings...
3. www.airstream.net Vintage Airstream site, but many trailers listed from 1970 to present...
4. www.craigslist.com Series of free local web postings, but possible to search outside your own area. Not an auction, but opportunity to see pictures and exchange messages with seller directly

Rear Bedroom started with classic 25' floorplans of early Excellas, etc.. Others like new 19 and 22 offer rear bed, but with bathroom adjacent on street side of trailer, and often "Wet bath" where shower wets down entire area, including toilet and medicine cabinet...

With that truck, you could look at 24 to 29' trailers, and find some good deals, I suspect...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote