Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Stamford , Connecticut
I'm Aimee

Hey everyone! I'm Aimee and I'm 24. I've always been fascinated with Airstreams and am thinking of purchasing one and living in it full-time. Looking for guidance from all you wise AS owners.

Aimee
AtomicKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
my advice is don't wait. Airstreaming is a way of life and the longer you put it off the more you will regret waiting once you actually do it. That is my only advice, for I live full time but not in an Airstream.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
welcome here,

the sooner the better... enjoy

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Aimee,

We have an entire section dedicated to Full-Timing that should help with some of your initial questions.

Full-Timing & Winter Living - Airstream Forums

There are many here that full-time who will be more than willing to share their knowledge as well.

Wishing you success,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Welcome to Air Forums Amiee,
Once you become an Airstream owner you wont want anything else. With you only 24 years old and able to live in one you will love it. There is a group called work campers that will assist you if you want a traveling job.
The Classifieds list many campers for sale and you can pick up for a good price, check it out.
Like Kevin said there are many on here that can give you advise both on full timing as well as Airstreams in general.
I have a Truck & Trailer for sale but right now it is in the pending catagory as I have someone who says they want it.
By the way, fill out your profile too, and then consider becoming a paid member of AirForums.

Welcome Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Stamford , Connecticut
Thanks so much for the friendly welcomes everyone! I'm very excited to become a part of this community.

Aimee
Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Dallas , Texas
Smile

Its always good to see young people getting into Airstreams, I'm 25 and after researching on these forums for over a year I finally decided on a 1977 32ft Silver Streak, should be done with the renovation in 5 years, when I am 30 I will have a home (without property taxes) for the rest of my life! Definitely awesome. Welcome to the site
Albatrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicKiwi View Post
Thanks so much for the friendly welcomes everyone! I'm very excited to become a part of this community.
Aimee
You are welcome, something else to consider is the financal side, when you look at what it costs to rent an apt, utilities deposits monthly bills, insurance, etc, then look at the cost of campgrounds, utilities are included, most even have cable tv included, all you need is a phone and most your age have cells anyways, you will find that at your age it will be much cheaper to live. Then if you decide to move you just hook up to your house and go, cant do that when living in an apt or house.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Stamford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
You are welcome, something else to consider is the financal side, when you look at what it costs to rent an apt, utilities deposits monthly bills, insurance, etc, then look at the cost of campgrounds, utilities are included, most even have cable tv included, all you need is a phone and most your age have cells anyways, you will find that at your age it will be much cheaper to live. Then if you decide to move you just hook up to your house and go, cant do that when living in an apt or house.

Sarge
These are all great points, and things I've been thinking about! I think living full-time in an Airstream will save me a significant amount of money vs. renting an apartment. These are the pros and cons I've been thinking of (practical reasons). Obviously it's way cooler to live in an AS than an apartment.

PROS for Me:
- Full hook-ups at RV parks will be probably 1/2 or 1/3 less then monthly apartment rent.
- I don't have to sign a lease, which leaves me the freedom to move somewhere else if I don't like where I am.
- If I decide to go on a trip, my cost to leave the AS behind will be significantly less than continuing to pay rent while I'm away.
- Since I will be spending less to live in my AS, I'll be able to save more money each month.
- I can take my AS on vacation with me and typically spend less than I would in a hotel nearly everywhere in the US.

CONS for Me:
- The areas of town I may live might be less appealing than places I could find an apartment in (and could potentially be more dangerous).
- I won't have as much space as I would in an apartment.

For me, the good seems to outweigh the bad... at least for where I am right now in my life.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
These are all great points, and things I've been thinking about! I think living full-time in an Airstream will save me a significant amount of money vs. renting an apartment. These are the pros and cons I've been thinking of (practical reasons). Obviously it's way cooler to live in an AS than an apartment.

PROS for Me:
- Full hook-ups at RV parks will be probably 1/2 or 1/3 less then monthly apartment rent.
- I don't have to sign a lease, which leaves me the freedom to move somewhere else if I don't like where I am.
- If I decide to go on a trip, my cost to leave the AS behind will be significantly less than continuing to pay rent while I'm away.
- Since I will be spending less to live in my AS, I'll be able to save more money each month.
- I can take my AS on vacation with me and typically spend less than I would in a hotel nearly everywhere in the US.

CONS for Me:
- The areas of town I may live might be less appealing than places I could find an apartment in (and could potentially be more dangerous).
- I won't have as much space as I would in an apartment.

For me, the good seems to outweigh the bad... at least for where I am right now in my life.
Me again.. not to be a Debbie Downer - but I've given this (living FT) a lot of thought as well. You wouldn't believe how much I want to live FT in my Silver Olive. And I was really ready until I found one issue that I couldn't overcome: my fur-kids. I am still unable to find a way to leave them in the trailer alone for any length of time. #1 the a/c or power might cut out and #2 a trailer fire,though unlikely, would be unsurvivable for them. My point is that trying to recreate a home enviroment in a trailer isn't straight forward.

I think ALL information is GOOD information. You can take it or leave it, but at least you have more info to consider and apply at will.

Based on you other post, you are hoping for a $5000 investment without needing to make anything more than cosmetic upgrades. This kinda suggests you aren't really excited about needing to perform mechanical, electrical, or structural maintenance. My experience is that trailers (esp older ones) need this maintenance & repair and that YOU will have to do that work. Whereas in a rental apartment, a landlord usually does the work (and pays the bill).

My 45 yr old *historic* home needed a new water heater and so does my 33 yr old trailer. My home needs a new roof and the trailer roof needs sealing. My home needs paint and my trailer needs waxing (though mirror finish polishing would be sweet). The list goes on and on.... sadly. Last week I needed to adjust my brakes - and this turned into 2 days of dirty, sweaty work on the curb of the street, removing wheels, replacing backing plates & repacking bearings. Thanks to this forum for walking me through the job and Andy at Inland RV for getting me the parts ASAP!.

So, you might add to your con's list the maintenance & repair that you'll have to do if buying a trailer - vs. not if renting.

Otherwise, your Pros are similar to mine. I included Pro's: less time cleaning; less room to store thing = less money spent buying unnecessary things; less clothing to store = less time doing laundry (though I won't have a washer/dryer in my *home*). Another Pro was meeting my neighbors - when I camp, I usually meet tons of people - and I usually feel pretty secure. At home, I set my alarm at night - don't feel the need for an alarm in the trailer!
Added to Con's: more trips to the grocery store; possibly no cable and/or wifi; closing all the blinds to change clothes ; no room for the treadmill.

Laura (who really does think living FT is a great idea, though it might not seem so)
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Welcome, Aimee!

I love the idea and have been trying to convince my family to go for it!

I also live in CT, other side closer to RI, and we have to winterize our unit to protect it from the cold, keep pipes from bursting, etc. The first winter we didn't know how, and kept the propane running (stupid and expensive when not even living in it!) just enough to make sure the pipes didn't freeze. We have a newer unit with an enclosed bottom, but it still needs protection of either heat or winterizing in the cold winter.

Anyway - will you be staying in the Stamford area? My SIL lives just north of there and reports more snow than we get each winter. Have you looked to see if there are any year round places to camp in your desired area? Are you tied to a "land" job there, or can you telecommute? Or maybe you plan to travel and work along the way, run your own business, etc.?

Do you have a tow vehicle if you plan on travelling? Not that big of a deal if you plan on having it towed to a relatively permanent spot, but Airstreams really like to wander about the country! Oh! You list travel in your "pros", so you must be thinking of a tow vehicle. If not already owned, good to decide on your Airstream and then get a good match, gives you lots more options.

NOT trying to discourage you! There are many great used trailers available at a variety of price points, and if you do not buy new and take the bite of depreciation you are likely to be able to sell it for close to your purchase price (and not have to wait a few years like we do!).

Live life to the fullest, we don't know what the future holds. If you think you will look back some day and regret not doing it, then go for it and enjoy! This could be a fabulous adventure

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
And I was really ready until I found one issue that I couldn't overcome: my fur-kids. I am still unable to find a way to leave them in the trailer alone for any length of time. #1 the a/c or power might cut out and #2 a trailer fire,though unlikely, would be unsurvivable for them.
Hey Laura!

Not to hijack the thread, but my cat that likes to travel cannot be left unsupervised - she thinks the mouse-fur walls are made for climbing, and I am afraid she will sink her claws into the vinyl above and really do damage I tried providing sisel scratchers, just not as attractive, apparently, even when rubbed with catnip!

I hadn't thought through the concerns you mention, thanks for bringing them up. For me, the fire issue is the same as when we leave them at home for one of our trips (lots of prayers said before leaving!), but in a hot environment, the AC cutting out could be fatal. I wonder how hot the inside of an AS gets, say in Phoenix in the summer, during 8 hours of daytime sun?

I read of a lady who full-timed who made some kind of enclosed outdoor area for her cats, which they entered from the open storage door under the bed. I would love to see a picture of that, as IF I ever get DH to full-time our four cats are gonna need some more space! Well, hopefully two will take up residence with my MIL

AIRSTREAM Life

Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Stamford , Connecticut
Laura (funkill), I appreciate your honesty and insight! I am learning so much from the forum. My hesitation with buy an AS that needs structural/mechanical work done was just because I've never been a mechanical sort of girl... But I'm realizing more and more that that would be a very exciting thing for me to learn. My boyfriend is really good with cars and building things so I don't think it would be an impossible challenge for us to buy a fixer-upper. Then we could customize it more as well.

Roamin Cat - I am planning on moving down to Austin, TX with my AS. Austin's average summer temp is 80F (though it can get up to the 100's) and winter temp averages 40-50F.

*In the market for an Airstream in the 21'-28' range. Please contact me if you have something!*
Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quote:
Laura (funkill), I appreciate your honesty and insight! I am learning so much from the forum. My hesitation with buy an AS that needs structural/mechanical work done was just because I've never been a mechanical sort of girl... But I'm realizing more and more that that would be a very exciting thing for me to learn. My boyfriend is really good with cars and building things so I don't think it would be an impossible challenge for us to buy a fixer-upper. Then we could customize it more as well.

Roamin Cat - I am planning on moving down to Austin, TX with my AS. Austin's average summer temp is 80F (though it can get up to the 100's) and winter temp averages 40-50F.
Haven't been to Austin, but I hear it is a great place to live! Year round beautiful.

And a boyfriend who is handy, with you willing to learn?!

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AIRSTREAM Life

Old 06-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Cat View Post
For me, the fire issue is the same as when we leave them at home for one of our trips (lots of prayers said before leaving!), but in a hot environment, the AC cutting out could be fatal. I wonder how hot the inside of an AS gets, say in Phoenix in the summer, during 8 hours of daytime sun?
Fire is a biggie for me. At home, my monitored alarm system monitors heat as well. The speed a fire would spread in a trailer makes me worry more. At home - I feel like its more plausible that the kids could be rescued - esp that their doggie door is no longer open 24/7. I usually leave my trailer door unlocked whenever I venture out - just hoping they'd have a better chance of rescue if something dire happened. Course, this opens doors (literally) to other issues ...

I've noticed that when I'm preparing to leave my campsite to return home and turn off the a/c, the place heats up rather quickly!
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #16
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Laura, I didn't notice you are in Florida. Of course AC is an issue for you.

We just used our AC for the first time in PA a few weeks ago, after two years of camping in the AS! It was hot and humid (what you deal with regularly, probably) and I was SOOOO glad to have it running (AND we had elec at the site!). We bought two genies and a parallel kit (wish Honda had the 2000 Companion unit when we bought ours!), just so we could have AC if needed while dry camping, which is often for us, but have not once used them that way.

My mom lost everything but her life in a fire about 8 years ago - literally escaped in the night in her jams - thankfully she was pet-less at the time, unusual for her. Funny I rarely think of fire as a possibility.

My personal, physical safely is a huge issue for me. I cannot imagine wandering away from my site for even 15 minutes and leaving my door unlocked. Guess we all have our different issues/comfort levels!

AIRSTREAM Life