Old 09-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
I'm a newbie...

Hello Everyone,

My name is Sandra and I grew up in Sweden where my family used to take trailer vacations down to south of Europe. But that was a long time ago. Now i'm living in San Diego and i'm starting to think about exploring the trailer lifestyle again. I am a proud single mother of a 14 mos. old baby boy and two great German Shorthaired Pointers, who loves to go on road trips. So last winter i fell in love with my first Airstream trailer. I am just getting started with the research...what size, what floorplan, what a black and gray water tank is?? etc, etc. I would love to go to an event where I can see and meet owners and their Airstreamers. If anyone knows of such event coming up in Southern Califonia, please let me know. Looking forward to one day becoming a proud owner of my own little "home on wheels". Happy Trailering!!

drsbeddor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
USN/LAPD Retired
2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Hi Sandra, Welcome to the world of Airstream.

Before you go out and buy your Airstream, take into consideration the size tow vehicle you currently have and how much weight you can tow. Also, if it's just you, your son and the dogs, possibly a 16 ft might do it.

There is a bunch of us (15) owners of AS that will be getting together on the 1st of November up in Kernsville (near lake Isabella/Bakersfield). I know it's probably quite a drive for you but there will be all sizes and shapes/years of Airstreams. It's called the California Streamers Fall Rally. Just a few people from all over California and a few from NV and Arizona that will be getting together to have a great time.

If you have the AS bug and can't wait, just make sure you go through the forum and ask questions. That's what makes this forum so neat is that if we don't know the answer then there is no such question.

Once again, Welcome to the world of Airstream !

2007 Dodge Ram Quadcab 6.7L Diesel w/jakebrake

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hi Sandra, and welcome to the Ariforums! You're in the right place to find the anwers to all your questions and to research what Airstream might be best for your needs. As Safari-Rick says, your tow vehicle will be an important consideration in making that decision.

The gray water tank holds the used water from your sinks and shower... the black water tank is a holding reservoir for the toilet...both must be dumped/drained when they become full...they are drained through the sewer drain outlet found on the exterior of the trailer into a sewer system or dump station. There is a also a fresh water reservoir tank to hold fresh water for our use if you are not connected to a city water source.

Poke around the sub-forums and do some tocpic searches and before you know it, you'll be up to speed on things...and you can always ask questions...this is a friendly and supportive bunch...

Happy Trails,
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California

Hi Sandra -

We're still pretty new at trailering too, but we got started just like you - fell in love with old Airstreams! We have two little kids and one dog and our 22 foot Safari is perfect for us. And, it tows like a dream behind our Ford Explorer V8.

Good luck in your search, and please join us at an Airstream rally! Not only is the Fall Streamers rally approaching in November, but so is the NorCal Rally at Lake San Antonio (near Paso Robles, CA.) in October. I think the Winter Streamers Rally is also shaping up too. You can click on the Rally Forum heading and the Rally Discussions heading for more info. Come and meet some others with the same passion, and years of experience and advice for you!
hey you, get off of my flying cloud
airdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Hi Sandra,
I echo the sentiments of my fellow forum members in welcoming you. I wish I had been able to go to an informal rally or get together with a large number of members with their Airstreams to ask questions and get their take on what the right size, year and model would be right for me. I made an impulse buy off ebay and did I ever learn afterwards how truely I could have used more suggestions from the forum. Already mentioned, if you have a tow vehicle then you will need suggestions as to it's capabilities for towing. If now then suggestions are wide open as you fill in the blanks for your needs i.e. How many will be sleeping at night, how will it work out inside if you have several rainey days and you are cooped up, eating arrangements, etc.

You best bet would be to go to one of the forum rallys where most members, if not all, will be more than happy to answer your questions and let you check the inside of their trailers. Come to think of it, every rally I have been on has had either a formal open house or an informal one. Have fun and check them out.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote