Old 06-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #1

1972 25' Tradewind
Wild Rose , Wisconsin
If it wasn't an Airstream I wouldn't have bought it.

I am now the nervous owner of a 72 Land Yacht Trade Wind.

Though I used to work on campers and set trailers in a resort in the 1990's, this is my first purchase to fix up.

Questions: How original should it be kept, if possible? Is replacing the carpet with a vinyl floor a desire able feature? (I think of the easy cleaning and sandy soil). Are schematics available online?

When I got it last week, I thought I'd find surprises, but my initial feeling was that it needed a thorough cleaning and polish. I have the original water heater and an electric. I have been advised to get a combination gas/electric. Neither one is hooked up right now, so I could not test them.

I suppose I may be nuts to take on this project, but I'm hoping for good things. Once the pressure wash was done and years of moss cleaned off, it was surprising how nice the skin looks.

I'll be reading a lot on these forum posts to learn. Thanks.

RevPaul

RevPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I can't imagine having carpet in a trailer. A vinyl or wood floor with some rugs you can easily remove and shake out or wash makes so much more sense to me.

SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Any pics with the moss still on it? Bought mine in Arizona and I don't think moss even grows there.
As for the carpet, yes get that out but not sure I would go vinyl back in, lots of choices out there.
I wouldn't be too worried about authenticity with a 72 vintage trailer, just make it the way you like.
sounds like the exterior is nice so thats a plus.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

My advice would be to go to the Portal page of the forums and download the Trailer Inspector's checklist. Use this to go through your trailer thoroughly, and you will have an idea what you are up against.

As far has how original to keep the trailer, it is totally up to you. It is your trailer, make it the way you want it. If you are worried about resale, I would hazard a guess that there are way more potential buyers who would appreciate a modernized, tastefully done trailer, than something that looks like it just rolled out of the 70's, but that is my opinion only.

As for schematics, look for a shop manual for your year of trailer. I have seen them on ebay, and there are a few threads on these Forums describing various sources for these manuals.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I kept my interior as close to original as I could. The carpet had to go and I prefer wood to vinyl. I stayed with a gas only water heater and have no regrets. It's my opinion that keeping an rv refrigerator (gas, electric) is one of the most important parts of any restoration when it comes to appliances. I have friends with sob`s that have dorm room refrigerators and they hate them when not at a full hook up. For resale purposes, I would never purchase a travel trailer with an electric only refrigerator, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on that.

So welcome to the forums and enjoy your new treasure. If cared for and repaired to your satisfaction it will provide many years of fun travels. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160713_001041.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	286984
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #6

1972 25' Tradewind
Wild Rose , Wisconsin
Thanks for your input.

So far I have spent about 25-30 hours on the cleaning and repairs/replacements. it has been fun and not too tedious. I already have people asking if they can see it to buy it from me. It began as a flip idea, to fix it up for a sale. I do like the vintage look, and Vintage Trailer supply has been a good source for what I have needed.

I am about to polish the exterior, and I am testing the mechanicals.

RevPaul is offline   Reply With Quote