Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
I want a vintage airstream!

Hi,

Been looking for a vintage airstream but seem to be have a time finding one here in the New England area. I think they are so cool. I came across this forum and you guys and gals all seem so nice, kinda like the folks we meet in the old car hobby. I have found a 1972 tradewind. But it's the first one we have looked at in the flesh and I don't know if the guy want to much for it or not. Where on this forum is the correct place to ask advice on if the price is too much or not? Don't want to post in the wrong spot.

My husband says it's funny to listen to me talk about this airstream, He says it's like listening to himself trying to talk ME into another old car! But he can talk me into about anything so I only think it's fair that I talk him into a vintage airstream. I tell him whats the difference, old car old airstream both are money pitts and there isn't anything you can't fix if you keep throwing money at it! I learned that a loooong time ago!

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogsmom View Post
Hi,

Been looking for a vintage airstream but seem to be have a time finding one here in the New England area. I think they are so cool. I came across this forum and you guys and gals all seem so nice, kinda like the folks we meet in the old car hobby. I have found a 1972 tradewind. But it's the first one we have looked at in the flesh and I don't know if the guy want to much for it or not. Where on this forum is the correct place to ask advice on if the price is too much or not? Don't want to post in the wrong spot.

My husband says it's funny to listen to me talk about this airstream, He says it's like listening to himself trying to talk ME into another old car! But he can talk me into about anything so I only think it's fair that I talk him into a vintage airstream. I tell him whats the difference, old car old airstream both are money pitts and there isn't anything you can't fix if you keep throwing money at it! I learned that a loooong time ago!

Annette
Annette,

Check out Vintage Airstream Home for information on pricing.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
You will locate your Airstream

When we started looking we could NOT locate any in New York State. We kept searching. We did find one, the perfect one for us and in our NYState.

Now that you have found the Forums...you are fortunate. Check out the Classified. They may be from Forums Members. That would be great.

Some decide to go smaller, larger, update etc. The Tradewind is a fine model. We started looking for a Bambi. We found our Globetrotter and we are very satisfied with our Airstream.

YES AIRSTREAM IS THE TRAILER. You have made the first best decision.
Good luck. There are some in New England. It will take some time. And asking and posting on this Forums will help your search. Welcome. Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Hey up there in New England...I saw your ad today..you can email me at jonybgood2006@yahoo.com,,,I live in a 1970 airstream international that we have consisdered to sell. I am located in south west Okla. so give me a holler and we can see what we can run up the flagpole Thanks and Sincerely, Bill
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #5

Greenwich , Connecticut
Hi,

I just came across 5 listings for early 70's models in the albany (ny) craigslist listings.

Good luck to you if you are still looking.
avenuegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
There's one in Orange

Annette-

There's a late '60s Trailer sitting right off the Post Road in Orange. It hasn't moved for a couple of years. I haven't gone too close, but I think it's about a '68 Overlander.

PM me for details if you are going down I-95. It's right off exit 41.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
ebay has about 100 listed right now, but there aren't many in your area.
Good luck on the search
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Yep, you're right. Vintage A/S's are tough to find in New England,and like old cars they're a money pit. Take heart. Like your husband I'm an old car nut, reformed. And a tent camper, reformed. All because of a wife that hounded me to buy/restore a vintage Airstream. Sound familliar! After a three year search within 200 miles of home we found a '64 safari. I left the guy with a lowball offer on a Sunday, got home from work on Monday night my wife told me to go get it, she'd bought it!!!!!!God I hope she do'snt see this. She was right. Cars were getting old hat. No drive train to mess with in a camper, lots of room to customize and be creative. Some aggavation but mostly fun to build and use. Try cruzin the secondary roads in VT & NH. We've seen and turned down some. BEWARE of the stuff you can't see, especially between the belly skin & floor.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hello - We actually went up into Canada (above NY) to pick up our Argosy Minuet! My husband & youngest son (about 11yrs @the time) had a blast of a road trip from Colorado up there. It depends on what you find out there & how comfortable you are w/the transaction and spending time/money to get to it. There are forum members who list themselves as available to look at a unit within a certain # of miles to them & many of them have alot of knowledge re: price/unit/problem areas on trailer. My advise (as others will agree) - take your time to research AS. There are many nice models & the right one will come your way even if you dont get it tomorrow. I know, I know, when the bug bites, its hard to resist!!!!! Good Luck!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
When you have one and when you don't

When you decide you want a Vintage Airstream, it can be so hard to wait until the right one comes along. If you are new to Airstreams, it is hard to know if the one you have found is the right one or not. And, because you "want" one so badly, you can be tempted to make a purchase that may not be the "right" one after all. Then you buy one and find out how much you didn't know...and how much your learning curve is going to cost......you want to caution others to "take their time" in finding the right one so they can learn from your experience. Don't ask me how I know......If I could only give one piece of advice, it would be to make sure you know the condition of the sub floor......once you know that, you can make an informed decision about the value of your new find. You may go ahead knowing that you have to replace the sub floor, but at least you won't be surprised after you have made it your own.....and, yes, this is our second vintage trailer--our first one was broadsided and totalled and, yes, they both had rotted floors and bad axles. And we knew about that with the second one. good luck....we hope to have our new Vintage trailer completed very soon--(it is at www.area63productions.com) click on blog. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
When you decide you want a Vintage Airstream, it can be so hard to wait until the right one comes along. If you are new to Airstreams, it is hard to know if the one you have found is the right one or not. And, because you "want" one so badly, you can be tempted to make a purchase that may not be the "right" one after all. Then you buy one and find out how much you didn't know...and how much your learning curve is going to cost......you want to caution others to "take their time" in finding the right one so they can learn from your experience. Don't ask me how I know......If I could only give one piece of advice, it would be to make sure you know the condition of the sub floor......once you know that, you can make an informed decision about the value of your new find. You may go ahead knowing that you have to replace the sub floor, but at least you won't be surprised after you have made it your own.....and, yes, this is our second vintage trailer--our first one was broadsided and totalled and, yes, they both had rotted floors and bad axles. And we knew about that with the second one. good luck....we hope to have our new Vintage trailer completed very soon--(it is at www.area63productions.com) click on blog. pj
Heh! There are a LOT of us who are following your trailer's progress and eagerly anticipating its completion out at Area 63.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Working as fast as we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Heh! There are a LOT of us who are following your trailer's progress and eagerly anticipating its completion out at Area 63.

-Marcus
Thanks, Marcus. Now we are getting to the fun part, for us, anyway.....we ordered the stainless countertops this week. Uwe is doing a great job......we are very pleased with what is happening there. We have a rally planned for January....the pressure is on. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote