Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1990 32' Excella
Ridge , New York
Smile I Suprised Him

Hubby had always said that he wanted an Airstream when he retired & I thought wouldn't it be great if I could get him one.So in 2003 Knowing nothing about A/S I went to a dealer in CT and asked a zillion question...went into every model....laid on every bed .I made my decsion..nothing less than 28 & must have a queen.

Couldn't afford a new one so I scoured the internet found 2 both 91s for 20K. Then I went to ebay & found my girl. Yes folks, there she was just waiting for me. The auction was only a few days old & there were tons of bids. I emailed the seller....he was sellling for his grandpa....Because I was equiped with a ton of questions he had grandpa call me....I got every questioned answered & tons more info. He had owned the trailer for 5 years ,used it each winter in FL and had replaced the ac & refrig 2 yrs prior and was selling because he was permantly moving to FL.
I researched how much it would cost to get it trailed to ny from il

So I did what other ebayers hate ...I waited till the last 45 seconds The bid was at $14000 I put in $17777 and I won my girl for $14500
The seller agreed to keep her until hubby went on a buisness trip 6 weeks later & yes I had it delivered then.

Hubby came home at night, saw lights went to investigate and there I was with a bottle of wine & said welcome to your new home. Needless to say he was a very happy man when I told him it was paid in full.

He's not retired yet so we only go on short hops but we are planning for the day when we can travel in style. Oh yeah....we didn't own a tow vehicle he bought an F250

THought my story would make you smile !!

mocon98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...

Fantastic story...Welcome to the forums. Post some pictures when you are able, and make plans to join in on a local rally.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Your husband is a lucky man, indeed. You both will enjoy your new adventure and you've come to the best place to get answers and help when you need it. Watch for rallies near you so you can meet up with fellow airstreamers. You will meet some truly great people at the rallies. We wish you the best for a long and happy retirement with your new airstream.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Graham , North Carolina
A lucky man is right, you need to give lessons
"AIR 17559"

wear it out, don't rust it out

jpeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Usually Sleepy
1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Congratulations on winning the auction!! Welcome to the Forums!! Welcome to Airstreams!! Photos please?
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Great Story!!! Your hubby is, indeed, a lucky man. Enjoy your Airstream. Have many great Airstream adventures and safe travels.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
You just got my vote for "Wife of The Year". Best of luck with your Airstream. The folks in CT are great if you need service.

2007 Safari 25' FBSE LS
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4WD Duramax
2dabeach is offline   Reply With Quote