Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
I got it: 1970 Caravel

Snowstorm and all we brought "Hanz" home today. 1970 Caravel. He has sat for 12 years, and will need lots of "fixin", but when we hooked him up to the PV all the lights, inside and outside, worked. Pics to follow, just have to rework them into a size I can post here. --Dwight
k0dlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Congratulations!!!
I bought one of those trailers that have been sitting for the past 10 years. Get ready to buy some parts!! Besides spending the money I'm having a lot of fun fixing it up.
One of these days when I figure out how to make up a web page I'll post all the before and after photo's.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Congrats! That's a long time sittin', sounds like you might have your work cut out for you. Good news that the lights are working!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Welcome to the forums and Congrats on your Airstream!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Welcome aboard, Nice to see another 70's hit the forum as well as an Ohioan. Mine also sat for awhile but wasent all that bad. After the rear 4' of ply and other things the old girl is pretty solid. Good luck Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Bet You'll Like the Caravel

I own a 1971 Caravel model. Is your floorplan the one with a front dinette and a rear corner sofa? It also has a side wet bath. If it is, that model was the inspiration for the Anniversary edition in 2006. Enjoy the Caravel. It's a great AS.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
1978 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Virginia
Thumbs up Congrads

Welcome!!
You are going to love it! Am glad to see another Caravel owner taking the leap to restore one of these little gems. Your wing windows are the more normal later C-shape so they won't be impossible to find if one breaks. Be sure to post pictures soon. Always liked the little sink that they added that year next to the rear gaucho. Do you have a dinette or gaucho up front? Be sure to use the forums check out other Caravel owner posts.

Silver Steve
Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
Thanks for all the encouraging responses!

Wanted to get some photos, of Hanz, posted tonight but life got in the way, will do my best to get that done sometime tomorrow.

answers to some of the questions follow:

"Is your floorplan the one with a front dinette and a rear corner sofa? It also has a side wet bath." -- yes

"Do you have a dinette or gaucho up front?" -- dinette

"It also has a side wet bath." -- yes

--Dwight
Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1969 18' Caravel
Lovettsville , Virginia
Nice vintage

Congratulations Dwight!

You've found quite a desirable AS that will be a joy to camp in. I obtained my '69 Caravel last year after it had sat for numerous years as well (can't begin to count how many bees nests I discovered in it). Both VTS and Inland Andy will be a great source for replacement vents and various other hard to find parts.
Hey Silver Steve, nice to see another fellow Virginian with the same model and year!

~Bob
takenitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Another congrats, Dwight!

I love those Caravel floorplans from the ~70's. Did you see the article in Airstream Life about the similarities of those trailers with the Dave Winick designed 75th Anniv. Bambi? Very cool!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
Finally got the first set of photos posted to the web, these were taken right after getting him home, I had to post them elsewhere since I'm on a borrowed computer and didn't feel right about downloading Irfanview to be able to resize and compress them (I miss my Mac...)

They are at: http://picasaweb.google.com/DevlorStudio

DPeakMD wrote: "Did you see the article in Airstream Life about the similarities of those trailers with the Dave Winick designed 75th Anniv. Bambi?" -- No, sounds like there is yet another magazine I need to subscribe to...

Hanz, my AS, has been sadly neglected, the good thing is that while he sat for all those years he was in a barn.

Thanks,

--Dwight
Old 01-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Welcome!

I'm from Lorain! If your ever in the area, there are several of us out this way that would love to meet you. (and your trailer)!

-DanB
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Welcome, Fellow 70's Fanatic! What's the color scheme in this little gem? You're gonna love the family here on the forums! Greatest people on earth...almost!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
Didn't run the link thru a text editor to remove the html coding/formating, hope this works better.

Picasa Web Albums - DevlorStudio

Think I have the beginnings of a restoration plan put together, will live, 3 season in it, while I build my retirement cabin here on the kids farm this spring/summer/fall. Will need to get a new range/oven in it, and working, and get the fridge working on 110V, no need to work on plumbing yet as it will be close to the house. Then will start a fairly complete restore, how much that takes will depend on what is found as I remove some of the furniture/cabinets.

--Dwight
Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Sweet!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Great Pics! Thanks!

Hey, can you send some of that snow to Texas? We haven't had much of a winter this year, so could you share with us? We've got some Texas sunshine heading your way.....in June?

Great pics! Body looks nice and straight. Looks like some solid wood in that 1970! Must have been one of the last years for that option before going to all plastic and more economical, lightweight material.

Keep us posted on your progress. It's a learning adventure for us all.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #17
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
Salmon Arm , BC
Great trailer! Very similar to my 69 Caravel. Cant wait to see your progress and what you do with your reno's!
G-STREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
some answers follow...

76sovereign: Ozark MO? I hale from near Marshall MO origionally

DPeakMD: "I love those Caravel floorplans from the ~70's" I really like the floorplan too

seirrajb: Body looks nice and straight." Looks even beter when not covered by snow and road slush

seirrajb: "Hey, can you send some of that snow to Texas? We haven't had much of a winter this year, so could you share with us?" I would if I could cause my folks taught me it wasn't polite to be selfish

DanB: "I'm from Lorain! If your ever in the area, there are several of us out this way that would love to meet you. (and your trailer)!" Looks like a good distance for a first run. If your are over this way, drop by (PM for directions)

sierrajb: "Looks like some solid wood in that 1970!" I'm thinking, hoping that a light sanding and applying a couple coats of finish will be all it takes to "restore" the wood. Other wood problems: Have 2 panel doors, one under dinette and one under back couch/bunk, that need new hinges. By the door the panel next to the fridge has wicked a little bit of water up about 1 1/2 inch. The biggest problem is the flat pieces of wood behind the dinette seats are sun rotted out, thinking a piece of Oak there would look/work good.

Plan to take and post a few more photos tomorrow, there is some kind of "gadget" for the hitch mounted on the front tongue (or whatever the RV/AS term is for that) that I've been unable to determine just what it is by browsing the hitch forum.

thanks to all for the encouragement!!!!!

--Dwight
Old 01-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
Just a quick update then I'm gonna drop this thread and, as needed, create new ones on specific topics.

Took a suggestion from a cabinet maker friend and liberaly applied Old English polish to the wood in my Caravel. While it doesn't make it look new it is amazing how much it improved it (and how much of the polish it soaked up). Flooring: A very complete check found two soft spots under the dinette by the door and, as noted, the large piece of floor that has been replaced by the door. The two soft spots are only a couple plys deep so, for now, just plan to patch/fill them. In the back battery/electric compartment the first layer/ply of the floor is dry rotted but is solid under that, may just lay a piece of vinyl flooring in there to protect what's left for now.

Wiring: Think I have it figured out except for the extra 110V and 12V wires that are unterminated, nor capped, behind the fridge. Come spring I'll trace/Ohm all the wires before hooking up my solar charging system. Took some measurements and I can safely fit 2 batteries in and still have room to replace the Univolt with a new converter/charger, if I crowd it I can fit 3 batteries back there.

Appliances: The Range/Oven goes... while it may still work it's so rusty that I plan to just replace it. The heater is a replacement, it's a surbuban of some model that I can't get under the cabinet and read the label on. It looks real clean and rust free but... it's sort of a "bandaid" install... only place it's attached to the body is the exhaust vent.

Checked the axle, doesn't look like it's the one with the weak spindle but checking it as Andy suggested... it will still need to be replaced (as planned).

Won't be able to do any more "fixin" until April... but at least it will be warmer weather then.

A heartfelt thanks to all of you here who share their knowledge to help others.

-- Dwight
Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Dwight - welcome.

Did you figure out the exterior door for the fridge access? It should have a C channel on the top edge of the door. That slips up into the grove on the "eyebrow" on the body that's shown in your photo. There should be two rivets in the eyebrow to guide you. Hold the outer edge of the door at an extreme upward angle to get it started then lower it in place.

Nice find - have fun with it.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel