1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Great Pics! Thanks!

Hey, can you send some of that snow to Texas? We haven't had much of a winter this year, so could you share with us? We've got some Texas sunshine heading your June?

Great pics! Body looks nice and straight. Looks like some solid wood in that 1970! Must have been one of the last years for that option before going to all plastic and more economical, lightweight material.

Keep us posted on your progress. It's a learning adventure for us all.

Airstreams are like a box of chocolates....
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #17
69 Caravel
1969 18' Caravel
Salmon Arm , BC
Great trailer! Very similar to my 69 Caravel. Cant wait to see your progress and what you do with your reno's!
G-STREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
some answers follow...

76sovereign: Ozark MO? I hale from near Marshall MO origionally

DPeakMD: "I love those Caravel floorplans from the ~70's" I really like the floorplan too

seirrajb: Body looks nice and straight." Looks even beter when not covered by snow and road slush

seirrajb: "Hey, can you send some of that snow to Texas? We haven't had much of a winter this year, so could you share with us?" I would if I could cause my folks taught me it wasn't polite to be selfish

DanB: "I'm from Lorain! If your ever in the area, there are several of us out this way that would love to meet you. (and your trailer)!" Looks like a good distance for a first run. If your are over this way, drop by (PM for directions)

sierrajb: "Looks like some solid wood in that 1970!" I'm thinking, hoping that a light sanding and applying a couple coats of finish will be all it takes to "restore" the wood. Other wood problems: Have 2 panel doors, one under dinette and one under back couch/bunk, that need new hinges. By the door the panel next to the fridge has wicked a little bit of water up about 1 1/2 inch. The biggest problem is the flat pieces of wood behind the dinette seats are sun rotted out, thinking a piece of Oak there would look/work good.

Plan to take and post a few more photos tomorrow, there is some kind of "gadget" for the hitch mounted on the front tongue (or whatever the RV/AS term is for that) that I've been unable to determine just what it is by browsing the hitch forum.

thanks to all for the encouragement!!!!!

k0dlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
Just a quick update then I'm gonna drop this thread and, as needed, create new ones on specific topics.

Took a suggestion from a cabinet maker friend and liberaly applied Old English polish to the wood in my Caravel. While it doesn't make it look new it is amazing how much it improved it (and how much of the polish it soaked up). Flooring: A very complete check found two soft spots under the dinette by the door and, as noted, the large piece of floor that has been replaced by the door. The two soft spots are only a couple plys deep so, for now, just plan to patch/fill them. In the back battery/electric compartment the first layer/ply of the floor is dry rotted but is solid under that, may just lay a piece of vinyl flooring in there to protect what's left for now.

Wiring: Think I have it figured out except for the extra 110V and 12V wires that are unterminated, nor capped, behind the fridge. Come spring I'll trace/Ohm all the wires before hooking up my solar charging system. Took some measurements and I can safely fit 2 batteries in and still have room to replace the Univolt with a new converter/charger, if I crowd it I can fit 3 batteries back there.

Appliances: The Range/Oven goes... while it may still work it's so rusty that I plan to just replace it. The heater is a replacement, it's a surbuban of some model that I can't get under the cabinet and read the label on. It looks real clean and rust free but... it's sort of a "bandaid" install... only place it's attached to the body is the exhaust vent.

Checked the axle, doesn't look like it's the one with the weak spindle but checking it as Andy suggested... it will still need to be replaced (as planned).

Won't be able to do any more "fixin" until April... but at least it will be warmer weather then.

A heartfelt thanks to all of you here who share their knowledge to help others.

-- Dwight
k0dlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Dwight - welcome.

Did you figure out the exterior door for the fridge access? It should have a C channel on the top edge of the door. That slips up into the grove on the "eyebrow" on the body that's shown in your photo. There should be two rivets in the eyebrow to guide you. Hold the outer edge of the door at an extreme upward angle to get it started then lower it in place.

Nice find - have fun with it.

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote