Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
I Did It!

Just bought a 2008 Safari 25B and will pick it up next weekend. I really appreciate the threads on the walk thru and what to look for. I'm a bit apprehensive about whether my first generation Toyota Tundra doublecab will handle it well. I've gotten mixed opinions that have ranged fro "you'll be fine" to "get a diesel". I guess time will tell. I got a deal with 27% off MSRP at George Sutton in Eugene, and they seem like nice folks to deal with. Met the service manager even though service was closed on the weekend, and the salesman, Joe Weeks was thorough and professonal.
I wanted the rear queen bed, and less frills than the newer models. Also almost 40K was about my max on affordability. I hope the service portion of the dealership proves to be first rate also.
I can hardly sleep waiting for more than a week to pass by before I take delivery(my choice) I work all this week. Anyway, I'm happy to be a proud AS owner(almost) and I appreciate the wisdom and knowledge of all who post here and who have lots more experience than I do.
Steve97365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Congrats. You'll love being a 'Streamer'.
The TV questions will sort themselves out.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome from Florida until this Thursday, then back to Ohio for a few months.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have an '05 25FB that we have pulled over 40,000 miles and spent almost
400 nights in our dear. You're going to love the FB floorplan and Airstreaming.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
There is nothing more exciting.. Its like that commercial with the little boy when the parents come in to check on him at night.. "I cant sleep, I'm too excited..."

Its almost like Disneyland.. maybe better!

Congrats and welcome to the forums..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
join us

Welcome to the world of streaming. We are having a rally at Stub Stewart State Park near Vernonia the 17, 18 of April. Check the rally post at the bottom of the page. Great way to check out your rig, with 20 of your new airstream friends to give you advise. No matter if it is a Wbcci or forum rally, Airstreamers just want to have fun CAMPING and talking about their airstream.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Steve,

Last fall Anne-Marie and I spent an afternoon at George Suttons being shown all of the Airstreams by salesman Mark, and I actually felt guilty for them not having the size of trailer that we were looking for. We were looking for a 34 foot with a slide, and with the dinette in the slide. At any given time less than a dozen are available across the USA.

When I call George Suttons RV for advice or information, they are helpful and honest, and the service manager has always been eager to give me the best options for my problems.

Salesman Mark, still recognizes my voice and knows my name over the phone.

If the dealership allows it, camp in the trailer for a few nights at the RV lot. It really helped us to be able to ask questions, and to be shown how all of the systems work, and some of the systems needed to be explained twice.

A lot to learn and a lot of fun.

Steve and Anne-Marie
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
That's a great idea to camp at the dealer's lot. I'll also look into the rally in Vernonia. What a great group of friends I'm developing and I haven't even taken possession of the AS yet. Why did I wait so long? Oh yeah, now I remember. I couldn't afford a new AS before now.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You have a wonderful adventure ahead of you! Congratulations on your new baby!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
Congratulations on your new Airstream. We bought the same model and just love it. We did find a water leak on our first trip, so staying a night at the dealers isn't a bad idea.
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Congratulations on your new Airstream. The anticipation of taking delivery is delicious! Take a notebook and a camera with you and write down everything you can about the systems and take pictures to help you remember. Also read the owners manual - I know that sounds obvious - but studying it will help answer a lot of questions. They are available on line on the Airstream site - you can down load it, print it, mark it up and not mess up the one that comes with the rig. I found it very helpful to pull out the pages on winterizing etc. when I needed them. If you have the opportunity to do this prior to pick up it will give you a leg up. Welcome to silver world - your fun has just begun!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
I had the walk through

I had the walk through on Monday, and I'm in the process of getting a new TV. In doing the research and with lots of help from this forum I've decided to upgrade to a new 2009 Tundra Doublecab tow vehicle. It will be equipped to tow 10,300 pounds, well above the AS at 5060 dry and probably no more than 7000 loaded. I toyed with the idea of a diesel, but beautiful wife pointed out that we would be driving it whether we towed or not and would need to park, and negotiate tighter spots more frequently than we tow with it. I was looking at a dually, but she made sense and we decided on the Tundra. Anyway, we'll take delivery of the Tundra on Saturday, and the AS on the next Friday. I'll post pics then.

Now all I have to do is to figure out how to pay for them both.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97365 View Post
I had the walk through on Monday, and I'm in the process of getting a new TV. In doing the research and with lots of help from this forum I've decided to upgrade to a new 2009 Tundra Doublecab tow vehicle. It will be equipped to tow 10,300 pounds, well above the AS at 5060 dry and probably no more than 7000 loaded. I toyed with the idea of a diesel, but beautiful wife pointed out that we would be driving it whether we towed or not and would need to park, and negotiate tighter spots more frequently than we tow with it. I was looking at a dually, but she made sense and we decided on the Tundra. Anyway, we'll take delivery of the Tundra on Saturday, and the AS on the next Friday. I'll post pics then.

Now all I have to do is to figure out how to pay for them both.

I tow the same rig with a Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel, quad cab, long bed pickup - it's overkill. I could easily tow a 34' A/S (without the slide... I'd want a dually for that). Your Tundra should be fine, but if you're going to very steep hills, pack lightly and have your tanks low.

Paula